Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Practice for warbird

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Practice for warbird

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 05:33 PM
The Rook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Practice for warbird

Hi all,

I recently asked y'all what a good first warbird would be. Thanks for all the info....I think I'm going to get the TF p-47. BUT...I decided since it has been over 15years since I build a plane (super sportster 20), I want to build another fun plane before a warbird.
My question is this:
What is a good kit plane that will prepare me for building AND flying a warbird? I would love to find a Super Sportster 60, but I don't know if this would be my best choice. How about a great planes Ultra Sport or P-51?
Anyway, I'll stick with my electric park flyers until I decide.
Thanks for the advice everyone!
J
Old 11-23-2005, 06:00 PM
SpitfireMKI
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Practice for warbird

You did not say what size P-47, if it's the giant, I like my Dynacrunch Chipmunk with Zenoah G-38.

If it's the small one, the Hanger 9 60 size or Modeltech P-47 is a piece of cake to fly. I got a chance to fly the new H9 P-47 several times last weekend, really nice. If you want a Mustang, the World Models 40 is cheap and does the job.

S1
Old 11-23-2005, 06:49 PM
The Rook

If I go with the P-47, I will stick with the .60.
I would like to get a sport kit (SS 60 or ultra sport) so I can brush up on my building and flying skills. It's unfortunate that kits are becoming more rare.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Rook,
The T/F P-47 is a good choice. Saito 100 4 stroke or a .75 to .90 2 stroke would be nice. Be sure to build her with flaps. Good luck.

"Keep 'Em Flying"
Flak
Old 11-23-2005, 07:15 PM
E Henry

I built my first TF 60 P-47 after building a Super Sportster 40 and a Goldberg Cub. I think the SS 60 will give you enough building skills to build the P-47. Top flight kits are pretty easy to build and come with a very detailed instruction book. Good luck, Erik
Old 11-23-2005, 07:45 PM
The Rook

How close were the flight characteristics of the super sportster and the p-47?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:39 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Rook, After a decade away from the hobby, I built a Sig King Kobra to re-initiate my flying skills and prep a bit for a warbird. It was a fun, aerobatic plane, that, although flew nothing like a warbird, did serve to keep your skills sharp and allow you to practice greasing landings. I know that the P47 is a good flying plane though, and if you've got some helpful hands around, you might just want to build it and get some of your experienced pals to maiden and let you handle her once she's in the air. It does a lot for the confidence, once it's up and you then know you can fly it as you would another plane. There is some learning to do, but it's nothing you can't handle. You just have to be on top of the flight envelope all the time, no big deal. For me it was strange to see how often I was used to letting the plane fly itself around, while the warbird doesn't do that unless it's going nice and fast.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:05 AM
US185Damiani

If you can find a SS 60 use it to practice on to get sharp again, but try adding weight later to build on it and get used to flying a higher wing loading.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:33 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get a Modeltech P47 on sale for about $199 , they make great practice planes for warbirds and you dont have to get emotionally attached to it because it will go together fast .
This way you will bump it around , fix it up and just keep practiceing .
Also if you can borrow some time on Great PLanes Real Flight its makes for great stick time .
Old 11-24-2005, 01:27 PM
mcarleno

See I think somebody could make a mint on a warbird trainer -- foam with minimal covering, built so you could add weight and increase the wing loading ... but thats another thread.

I agree with the Super Sportster, it's pretty fast, fly's where you point it, good tail dragger. Once you flying well, calculate the weight into the wing area to get the wing load. You can then add a little weight at a time to your desired warbird wing load. She will fly a lot different when you get her weight up.

My first warbird was after a sportster was a Yak-3 and on its maiden, did great all the way up to landing. Too slow and tip stalled it about 8' off the ground (14 hours of repairs). The sportster has a much thicker wing than a warbird will have but if you get her weight up (I am talking about removable weights because you'll want to return this great plane back into a sunday flyer) it will be good practice for turning and landing. I would also go with the most powerful engine in the size or a little bigger, it will let you practice with the torque you'll have on a warbird. I have a SS60 with a Tower 75. I know lots of guys with OS91FS or Saito 90/100s in their SS60s. You can always move the bigger engine (now well broke-in) to your 60 P-47.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:39 PM
The Rook

Thanks everyone for the advice. Adding weight to increase wing loading sounds like a great idea to practice for warbirds...I never would have thought of that. I certainly won't get practiced up flying my parkzone P-51.
Now I just need to track down a Super Sportster 60!
J