Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Any 'exploding' bomb builders out there?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Any 'exploding' bomb builders out there?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 03:51 PM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any 'exploding' bomb builders out there?

Bacchus: Could you provide a short course on you make your ordnance. Great scale looking device! The Stukas used air whistles on the fins to further intimidate. Please note, too, I'm avoiding using the 'b' word. All quipping aside, I'd be happy just creating a big cloud. I may work on the compressed air idea. At least that would allow almost anyone to get a blast of smoke, without being dangerous, or offending anyone. I think it rather presumptuous to assume anyone flying a motor driven model doesn't practice safety. They are, I think, inherently dangerous-retract air tanks have been known to explode, props come apart. And, BTW, I believe if you read the policy, the AMA provides secondary insurance, not primary.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried making an "exploding" bomb in the past by filling a balloon with air and some powder and putting it inside the bomb. I had a wire pin in the front that would puncture the balloon when the bomb hit. The problem is...a balloon collapses when it breaks and it doesn't blow the powder out...so I scrapped that idea.

I'm thinking now that an internal piston could drive the powder out the back end when it hits, making a cloud. I don't know if it would work or not, but I'm going to try it out. I have a Ziroli Dauntless that I drop a bomb from, and I've gotten pretty good at hitting the runway, but all it does is make a dull thud when it hits. It would be nice to at least have it make a smoke cloud!

Jim
Old 12-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

Anyway, I make *simulated* bombs. As far as having them pop apart on impact, haven't worked that one out, never thought about it really. The best material to load one with is barbecue pit ashes, it really makes a cloud. I'd like to try it with one of my 1/7 scale 1,000 lb bombs because they can hold a lot of it for a nice cloud.

Dion

Sounds cool. Just need to use thinner styrene and maybe score the inside before gluing the halves so it will have a predictable break.

Pete

Old 12-16-2005, 10:49 PM
sfsjkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm against the pyrotechnic route too. Here's talcum "bomb" seen in RCM many, many moons ago
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21452.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	371249  
Old 12-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

I should have extended my message and included that I built those bombs back when I was young, Dumb, and *******. I would not participate in anything of that nature any longer. Especially in this day and age. Uncle Sam knocks on my door enough just wanting money. I don't need any of those other departments looking for me.. Bill
Old 12-19-2005, 10:39 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Ahhhhhh, what kind of a world do we live in, that we have come to fear our government so? I guess Big Brothers not such a stretch of the imagination after all. The concepts involved are interesting though, in a philosphical sort of way.

ZZ.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:43 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Woops, "philosophical". My bad. Thats what I get for trying to sound smarter than I really am.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:12 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Ahhhhhh, what kind of a world do we live in, that we have come to fear our government so?
Yea, let freedom ring! lol

To make your own bombs you need a lathe and a vacuum former, then you need the skill to operate both. I don't think most would be interested nor would they bother. Thanks for the compliment by the way. I've seen the whistles that can be embedded in the nose of the bomb, they are kind of expensive at $20 and that could hurt if you lose a bomb in the grass every now and then! Would be cool though. I personally think a large cloud of smoke would be great, I'll see what I can come up with on my 1,000lb bomb.

I'll leave the black powder to others, I like my face and fingers! lol

Dion

ORIGINAL: wsmalley

Bacchus: Could you provide a short course on you make your ordnance. Great scale looking device! The Stukas used air whistles on the fins to further intimidate. Please note, too, I'm avoiding using the 'b' word. All quipping aside, I'd be happy just creating a big cloud. I may work on the compressed air idea. At least that would allow almost anyone to get a blast of smoke, without being dangerous, or offending anyone. I think it rather presumptuous to assume anyone flying a motor driven model doesn't practice safety. They are, I think, inherently dangerous-retract air tanks have been known to explode, props come apart. And, BTW, I believe if you read the policy, the AMA provides secondary insurance, not primary.

Name:	Rp42341.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	372659  
Old 12-19-2005, 04:59 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Lets see where this Bomb making ability can lead..
The Dept of Homeland Security gets wind of Exploding Bombs via RC Aircraft. They notify the local authorities who investigate. The Media gets wind of it as well and a Story Appears in a syndicated News Paper. The Story gets carried around the nation.. The headlines now read RC AIRCRAFT A POSSIBLE TERRORIST WEAPON FOR USE IN THE USA.!

Now you have every one who is just looking for a suitable excuse to get rid of RC planes all together fueled and re-energized for the debate... all because a few may not give a damn about anything but their self gratification.

Loud noises are fine.. planes are fun.. explosions are fun too.. under the proper circumstances.
Given the times we live in its probably wise to use Talc and simulate the explosion.

And for those who THINK they live in the middle of nowhere?.. Take a look at your property on Google some time. The point being that with satellites the Middle of No Where is now viewable to anyone with a computer.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:50 PM
ZoomZoom-RCU

I hear ya Bob. But wer'e not exactly posting this stuff on Nightline. Were just talking about the stuff, and by the way there is a very nice WEBSITE on how to create your own functioning cruise missile out of easily available parts and technology. Kinda makes you realize how STUPID AlQaueda really is if the best they can do with todays technology is highjack a bunch of planes with box cutters. Crafty, but not at all smart. If it gets to the point that Stone Philips shows up on the site, we'll keep it on the down low.

Shhhhhhhh.

With all Respect. ZZ.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:49 PM
wsmalley

Personally, I haven't learned enough here to be dangerous to myself, let alone anyone else! I haven't even learned how to blow up talcum powder very well. To go back to the beginning, generally when one puts little apostraphies ('WORD'), most take it to mean less than the literal meaning of a word standing alone (English 101). It is spooky to read some of the reactionary responses posted here. Wasn't it the President of the AMA who tauted the success of the first Transatlantic flight of a model airplane, or was it a UAV- what's next-help us please mend our erring ways!? I believe now, I can go to the field, fly my plane, making a whistling sound,and yell 'B.....', and my god, can see the huddling masses running for cover! I would suggest perhaps some of the readers could do a Google search on the 'B' word and see what comes up! Please, give me a freakin' break. If this is too evocative, send me your address and I'll send you a chuck glider (shipping and handling $25.00).
Old 12-19-2005, 08:17 PM
BobH

Well.. having worked for the US Govt. for over 25 years and all of that for a Regulatory agency I can only advise that the Truth is stranger than Fiction. You would be surprised at what people will view as necessary and threatening. Just some thoughts here.. there is not intent to chastise, just advise. Ya'll have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:54 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Bob, I knew I could rely on you bro, you have it all together, and
posted a very usefull response. thanks buddy, talk to you later.

Wsmalley, I just shake my head reading your posts. go figure
Old 12-19-2005, 09:34 PM
wsmalley

Well, Bubba, go back and read the first post/question. Was that an inappropriate, dangerous, or otherwise politically charged question? If so, I promise, won't do it again! Please be careful and don't hurt your neck while shaking your head.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:40 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

well its not bubba, and my neck actually hurts all the time since I broke it in 99
and had C5/C6 fused. but thats besides the point[8D]
Old 12-19-2005, 10:11 PM
BobH

"Peace on earth and good will towards men".... Still wise words.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:43 PM
JAkridge

ZOOM ZOOM, And you'll know that this person that you email these instruction to for making this "Mini Bomb" is not a 12 year old by doing what ???????
And you'll know that this "over 12" person will not use this "Mini Bomb" information, that can blow your face off, will do anything malicious and possibly hurt somebody by doing what ?????????

Just like you said "Just use your head when using this..........!!!"

There is enough information out there on the internet "AS you said again" for making real bombs, I don't think a hobby forum is the place to do it. I'm all for free speech too. So don't be throwing that out there, and don't be throwing out the paranoid hobby police crap either. This is the wrong place and the wrong subject to be showing your "Free Will" BS on a Hobby site.

Get a clue.

Joe A.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:36 AM
Taildragger

I think this is one to be closed and deleted!!! I've hurt my neck looking over my shoulder!
Old 12-20-2005, 04:37 AM
Taildragger

I think this is one to be closed and deleted. I've hurt my neck looking over my shoulder!!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 08:51 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!"
Life is dangerous, and always leads to death, no matter how safe you play it.
And EVERYTHING is dangerous, just that some things are far more dangerous than others.
Those with common sense will recognize dangers, take appropriate precautions, and will likely accomplish their goals AND survive to tell about it.
I live in the Great White (and COLD) North, but I have vacant land in one of those states where gun ownership is a requirement (Kentucky). I plan to move there when I retire in about 3 years, and have often thought about developing an easy to build, exploding bomb, using a shotgun shell as exposive means, as others have mentioned here. Hopefully, I can develope it well enough so that it would explode when hitting water (property has a large pond on it), as well as the ground. I realize one of the things needed is a short nail, with a lot of surface area, such as roofing nail. Not looking for a real lowd bang, just something to really spread the smoke around. As for the idea of using compressed air: that can be dangerous to.
Anyway, just casting my vote for the Rebels in here.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:32 AM
da Rock

Yup, this thread has fulfilled it's promise.

Might as well spit out something others can chew on... yuck, what an analogy....

I'm pretty sure that the little church down in Texas never in it's wildest dreams really believed that U.S.Army tanks would someday drive over it while it was burning to the ground. After all, the Constitution says our military won't be used against citizens and all they were doing was praying some and selling/buying guns (with a license issued by the government to do just that).

As we speak, there are laws on the books and more laws coming that say none of us should be even thinking about having fun with model planes and explosives at the same time. Let us pray.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:52 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Thats ok. I love all you guys!, EVEN the dissenters. Thats what makes this country great. We Can disagree, and its allowed, permitted, encouraged even. God bless America, and all you guys, and Merry Christmas!

P.S. Corsair Jock, if you wanna PM me I might help you along a bit. Peace bros!

ZZ.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:00 AM
dionysusbacchus

BobH: Well.. having worked for the US Govt. for over 25 years... "Peace on earth and good will towards men".... Still wise words
At least we know that Bob didn't work for the IRS! No one there knows those words! lol

I'll get back with my design for my bomb later...

Dion

Name:	Mk27481.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	373182  
Old 12-20-2005, 12:22 PM
JAkridge

Excuse me while I go throw up. Are we this divided on Mini Bomb making instruction given over a hobby web site here guys??.
Hey, do what ever floats your boat, and if you have the land to fly your own RC Plane and drop a Mini Bomb from the underside of it and make a big BOOM.......knock yourself out. I could care less, and I think that the government shouldn't be able to tell you jack sh*t either way.
My point here is it should not be discussed here on a "Hobby Web Site" where there is "PLENTY" of 12 year old impressionable kids. And saying you will give any Tom, Dick, or Harry instructions to make one by a email is flat a** stupid.

Why anyone would continue to push the fact that they have that information and will give it to anyone who is slightly interested is totally beyond me. Are you that sick?, are you that dead set on showing everyone on RCU the fact that this is a free country to do and say what ever you like.

Unbelievable

Joe A.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:32 PM
dionysusbacchus

I think we all know where you stand so you can stop posting in this thread now unless you have something new to add, I mean this in a respectful way even though you are less than... Got a pill for ya buddy...

You can get your license and permits to do pyrotechnics, that would be cool for a model show on your own property like Byron used to do. He would fill his Zero planes with jelly gasoline and ignite them in the air! COOL!

ORIGINAL: JuzPlaneKrazy

Excuse me while I go throw up. Are we this divided on Mini Bomb making instruction given over a hobby web site here guys??.
Hey, do what ever floats your boat, and if you have the land to fly your own RC Plane and drop a Mini Bomb from the underside of it and make a big BOOM.......knock yourself out. I could care less, and I think that the government shouldn't be able to tell you jack sh*t either way.
My point here is it should not be discussed here on a "Hobby Web Site" where there is "PLENTY" of 12 year old impressionable kids. And saying you will give any Tom, Dick, or Harry instructions to make one by a email is flat a** stupid.

Why anyone would continue to push the fact that they have that information and will give it to anyone who is slightly interested is totally beyond me. Are you that sick?, are you that dead set on showing everyone on RCU the fact that this is a free country to do and say what ever you like.

Unbelievable

Joe A.

Name:	Fc90066.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	373230  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.