Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-38

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Wingspam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-38

Hello to all

I want to get started into the Warbird scene. I have always loved the look of the P-38. Who makes a great 40 or 60 size ARF of this plane, all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:54 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: P-38

Look here

http://www.wingmfg.com/Pages/WingCat.html
Old 02-26-2006, 09:54 PM
twinman

Hi Wingspan.
I happen to agree with you about the P-38, but PLEASE do not do this as a first twin!!! YOU WILL CRASH!
The P-38 is fantastic in the air, but unless you are VERY comfortable with twins and engine out situations, it will snap roll instantly and spiral in. I currently own two, the 108" in the picture beside this post and the VQ P-38 arf. KMP also makes a composite arf and the VQ is mostly wood with working fowler flaps. and while more expensive, to me more scale like. Those really are the only two arf's in the size you are looking at. A few years ago, I did a side by side comparison of the two models at rcwarbirds. There is also a side by side build up of these two planes, by others, in the twin forum, so that you can make your own decision.
One more question. Do you ALWAYS fly coordinated ailerons and rudder control. If not, learn now. There are several twin arf's such as the twin Stick of Cedar Hobbies and the Twin Star in a smaller size. These are good to get the skills to fly twins and particualary expensive warbird twins.
For more, I ususally hang around the twin engine forum.
Good Luck,
Twinman
Old 02-26-2006, 09:58 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Here is a complete side by side comparison of the KMP P-38 www.kmp.ca and VQ P-38 www.vqmodelaircraft.com
Comparison:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...tm.htm#1280712
I believe a great 1st twin would be the WM P-82....IT was my 1st twin and is EASY to fly and land... and you get a WARBIRD!!!!!!!!!! it is priced right... approx $299-$329 depending on where you buy it from...
http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=6
Another realisitc looking great twin is a Rich Uravitch OV-10 Bronco ....they come in 80" and also 52.5" wingspans....they are ARF's and the large one is $375 and the smaller version is only $219 shipped to your door....
http://www.hobbyhangar.com/test/acc.htm
these in my opinion have proven themselves time after time...and are not hard to fly!!!!!!! AGAIN..set your engines up right and if all else is good these are great flying 1st twins....
Old 02-26-2006, 10:39 PM
spitmad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only agree with Twin Man, whilst the KMP P38 is relatively "easy" to fly, it is definitley not a first warbird (not unless you are loaded and enjoy taking models home in a body bag), If you must go for a twin start with a twin trainer then move onto a KMP B25 before heading for the "fork tailed devil" .
I currently fly a CMpro Mossie, a KMP B25 and a KMP P38 and the B25 is the most forgiving of them all.

Start with a single engine warbird first, get used to flying with your rudder and some high wing loading with flaps and retracts then move onto a twin.........once you've flown twins.........there's no going back !

Alan
Old 02-27-2006, 07:55 AM
Metalmorphous

Wingspam I too feel in love with the lightning and built the plane you see pictured, but after taking the advice of twinman (and its GREAT advice) I am going to keep it until my flying skills are to a point where I can even consider flying a plane like this. My outlook on this is simple, would I think of flying the full scale if I didn't have the proper training But in the meantime I can keep practicing on the simulator and working my way up to flying the high performance twins.

Ron Randall
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48771.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	416594  
Old 02-28-2006, 06:28 PM
TAZ

flightspam
try one of the many great flight sims out there to help get your skill levels up to, it has helped me no end so far as i haven't had much actual flying this year due to piss poor weather but when I do get out I have seen an improvment in my own flying due to the sim