Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Warbird Painter Wanted.........

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Warbird Painter Wanted.........

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 03:34 PM
ezflyr
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warbird Painter Wanted.........

Hi All,

I have a fully built Ziroli Corsair that I would like to have detailed and painted. Detailing would include panel lines and rivets as required, and I prefer to have a very durable paint applied (ie, automotive PPG or the like). This airplane has been built to very high standards, and I want to find a finisher that will complete it to the same high standards. I'm not necessarily looking for Top Gun quality, but certainly better than average. If you know anyone that does this type work, please let me know!

Thanks,

John
Old 05-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Warbird Painter Wanted.........

I don't blame you for looking to an artist for your paint job. Many of us can shoot a little paint or rub some oil streaks down a panel line or two but when it comes to the eye poppin scale good looks of a warbird after a true master gets er done. Man that's outta my league all together. I'm a shaky handed , paint splattering slob. My warbirds look like a ground crew painted them on a windy morning after a night of heavy drinking at the ol' pub.[:'(]

Good luck on your F4U. Post some pics !!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:12 PM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check with "wulf190" here on the forums....him and his buddy are awesome painters....
Old 05-30-2006, 09:22 PM
Capt. Winters
My Feedback: (8)

Hi John, Are you looking for a local pearson? I live in Calif. If you are interested give me an e-mail Take Care Capt. Winters
Old 05-30-2006, 11:35 PM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sturtz

My warbirds look like a ground crew painted them on a windy morning after a night of heavy drinking at the ol' pub.[:'(]
Well then, they must look quite authentic

But seriously, have you seen how sloppily paint was applied to some
of the real-life war-birds? Not the airshow beauties of today, mind you,
but the actual fighting birds in WW2. Often, they would spray paint the
prop without using any sort of masking, creating overspray near the
base of the blades on the spinner. Then you have the planes which
saw several seasons of combat, having been hastily painted white, then
green, then white again, then green again, which each layer showing
through a little bit. You can see this on lots of German and Russian birds
in particular.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:14 AM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

You can see this on lots of German and Russian birds
in particular.
No doubt. We all know how they slapped stripes on the day before D-Day but after talking with a real Luftwaffe ace at a gun show I discovered it was the norm. He flew 109's with JG51 Mölders and 190's with JG3 Udet . While fighting on the eastern front in his FW190 the winter paint was done with plain old white wash paint he told me. Same paint you'd use to white wash a picket fence. He said it wouldn't last long at all ,,, but with the cold conditions it was almost impossible to warm decent paint enough to stick.

Not taking away from your thread John. I am hoping you get your hog done soon so we can all see it. Got any pics of it in primer yet ?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:28 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

EZFlyr,
I believe you are entering into a costly endeavor. What you are looking for involves detail and time consumption. This type of detail can take as long or longer than the building of the model. The detailer also has to be concerned about meeting your expectations. Take a look at the Corsair for sale in the Warbird Forums here on RCU. I believe the seller wants $4,500.00 for the plane. Is that the quality of finish you are looking for or better? I do my own finish and art work and I am quite satisfied. Good luck.

"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 06-01-2006, 08:17 AM
mR JoLLy

Have to agree with Flak, I trimmed a 1/6 Spitfire with panel lines, rivets, inspection hatches etc and it easily added 200 hours to the build. Don't forget if you are detailing to this level with any accuracy you need the plans for the panels, rivets (flat & raised) and inspection hatches. 1/4 of the time is spent on research!!

Good luck !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57721.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	469832  
Old 06-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Katchmarek
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, I have to agree with Flak and MrJolly...doing the research, panel lines and rivets takes time...to do them properly anyway...and lot's of it. I can shoot any type of paint and get a better than average finish, I can weather to any extent desired, and I also paint insignia and the like. However, there is a big difference in price between just painting and detailing and painting. Just for the panel lines and rivet detail I charge $600 and up, for painting basic 2 color scheme, add another $600 - $800 and for insignia and S/N etc, another $400 or more. So to get a quality paint job on a 1/5 scale warbird or larger, you're looking at $1,500 and up. I would also suggest trying to find someone local as shipping could easily run another $600 + (round trip).
I would love to paint another Corsair, haven't done one in a while, but I am not taking any new jobs as my house is up for sale, and I'm not certain as to what kind of time I have. If you're not in any hurry to get her painted, shoot me a PM...heck, PM me even if you have any questions about painting or finishing, I would be happy to give you any advice I can.
Take care,
Rob
Old 06-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Shihtzutan

I might be interested. I'd have to know what you had in mind for a scheme. Send me a pic. I'd use Klasscoat paint. Panel lines are not a problem and we are reasonaly close to each other, so shipping isn't a problem. I'd suggest you go easy on the rivets for a better overall appearance, but certainly some rivets are necessary for the right effect. You can view some of my models in the gallery. All built and finished by yours truly. I'm not sue what I'd charge, but probably somewhere in the 500.00 range plus expenses (tape, paint and misc. adds up quick, so my guess is you are looking at around $650.00 complete. I'm also an airbrush artist, so nose art isn't a problem.