Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CJ Retracts problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CJ Retracts problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 03:20 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CJ Retracts problem

This morning I tried to maiden my Sea Fury but on take off I didn't hold enough up elevator and it nosed over. I walked out to get the plane and noticed the left retract was angled in. I thought "crap I ripped the rails out". When I picked up the plane I saw that the rod that attaches the strut to cam bent. This rod is about 3/4" long and 3/16" thick, I would think it would require quite a bit of force to bend this short rod. Anyone else have this problem?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13863.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	480364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30337.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	480365  
Old 06-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CJ Retracts problem

I find this to be a common problem with CJ retracts. They reasoned that it's better to bend the stub wire than ripping out the retract rails. By the way, that stub wire is pretty soft and can be easily bent with a pair of pliers.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

RC,
I had the same thing happen on my plane, the wire bent while taxing out. Simply saying, very poor resign on CJ. Here is what I did. I switched to Spring Air retracts that would accept the struts and cut off the wire flush with the top of the struts. I bought an extra set of "wires" and boy were they high priced. I decided not to install the extra set, I know the same thing would have happened. What I can not believe is how easily they bent on only taxing out. IF I have had a crash, then I would have understood.
Larry
Old 06-20-2006, 05:40 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

you guys fly off grass? On pavement have had the same set for two years! they will bend but bendem back! you can order 6 sets cheap from darryl at cj!!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:16 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Or you could measure and buy some paino wire the same diameter and cut your own.

Andy
Old 06-20-2006, 07:46 PM
rc-sport

Yea, I fly off grass. It just seems it's way to soft to be reliable.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:46 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

you guys fly off grass? On pavement have had the same set for two years! they will bend but bendem back! you can order 6 sets cheap from darryl at cj!!!!
You can buy cheap many times or quality just once. Frankly, I'd rather spend my money on something that will work as it should. But, hey. That's just me.

Al
Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Larry S

Tim,
yes, I fly off a grass field that is rolled every spring to make it as smooth as possible and I agree with Al 100%, when I buy something I expect it to live up to what it is suppose to do. I guess CJ should say, "use on well maintained paved runways only and don't ever have occasional hard landings". The piano wire idea is a good idea, but again, I just don't think you should have to do that.
Guys, it seems to be CJ bashing time and I do understand where everyone is coming from. I had problems with their retracts as have other flyers on here. Instead of bashing CJ, lets give them ideas on how to improve their product. I'm sure they read this. If they don't listen to us, then we can just go elsewhere and when their sales dropped, maybe then they'll listen.
So I'll go first, get rid of those wires and set the retracts to accept the oleo struts directly without using wires. I'll will say one thing possitive about CJ, I do really like their strut, just not how they connect to the retract.
Larry
Old 06-21-2006, 08:53 AM
rc-sport

Larry, do you ever fly at the Arseneau (spelling?) field?
I sent an email and pictures to CJ yesterday so far no reply, if I don't year from them today I'm calling.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Larry S

Hi RC,
I sent the reason I won't fly out there by E mail. Very screwed up mess but that's his problem.
I do belong to SAC, Suburban Aero Club of Chicago and fly at Flosmore and Central, near the Tweeter Center. We have a very good bunch of guys and I would say, the best flying field anywhere around these parts. We have both and north and south grass runway and a east and west grass runway with a east and west paved runway, which most of us don' t use, but it's there. Come on out and fly, just have to be an AMA member.
Good luck with CJ. Be ready to pay $5 for one inch of music wire. IF it is music wire. lol
Old 06-22-2006, 09:00 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a model shop here that make the replacements for me from cold rolled steel and they last about 100 flights. I have them make them slightly bigger than I need then with a drill and some sand paper make it fit perfect.

Joe