Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

first giant warbird

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

first giant warbird

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 01:42 AM
sproosemoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first giant warbird

I'm trying to gather some info for a giant scale project...a warbird.
I'm looking for a decent flying good looking warbird. i know its going to be expensive, but im trying to spend less than 300 on a kit/plans&parts so i could ultimately stay under a thousand for the whole shebang. so something that's just over 80" seems feasable to me. I've flown a sureflite p40 and a HOB 25 size p51 (and i've had an unsuccessful experience with a morfis la5 12th scale) as well as an old global p39 (UNDERPOWERED!!!), and i'm in the works with a 60 size corsair from top flite, so i've got a little experience in the field, but still: what are some good kits to look at? any help you can give would be appreciated. oh yeah- here's a picture of my p51, the chrome ultracote really turned out nice :-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2235_3333.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	2302  
Old 02-04-2002, 03:00 AM
cubfan

Default giant warbird

Sprucemoose,
You said that you are building a TF .60 Corsair, you might look at the TF giant scale P-47. The ones that I have seen fly look great. The kit and a G-62 which is what the ones I seen were powered with, and the retracts should come out around a thousand. Pica has a P-40 that is around 85" set up for a 1.8 cid (30cc). A Spitfire also makes a good flying plane. Just something about those eliptical wings that make them fly so good!
Cubfan
Old 02-04-2002, 03:15 AM
sproosemoose

Default TF thunderbolt

i bought the corsair built, but not finished. how do the top flite kits build? I've looked at some of the kits, and I really do like the p47, how it looks and how many of them fly. My only doubt about the kits is that i've seen and heard of many that come out so heavy. i've read reviews on both the giant corsair and mustang that they offer, and they both look very attractive. I've also looked into some of the ziroli warbirds and some other scratchbuilts and it seems that they come out very well. good scale appearance. has anyone built one of these before? i've got SOME scratchbuilding experience with a morfis lavochkin and a mini-sukhoi, as well as having to make some replacement parts for broken planes any help or warning is welcome!
sproosemoose
Old 02-06-2002, 04:02 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default First Big Bird

The Midwest AT-6 is a good first choice
You cuould probable find a kit and the retracts for around $400 or less.
They build easy and fly nice
I have mine set up with a Quadra 40 and standard BB sevos
very econamical
It has a 83" wing to get you in the IMAC class and allways get peoples eye(everybody likes a T-6)

Food for thought
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2377_3133.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	2303  
Old 02-07-2002, 02:13 AM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

This Midwest kit is a nice plane. Not totally scale but it flies great. It is not hard to modify it for flaps which is a help. If you have some scratch building experience you might consider the Ziroli P40. Its an older design, but the build is quite easy and the flying characteristics are very stable. A fiberglass fuse is available through Ziroli which saves a lot of time. For a scale project this is a good first plane, it provides a platform for you to "scale it out" as far as you want.
Mike
Old 02-07-2002, 04:49 AM
1wolf
My Feedback: (3)

Default kits

If you have built a top flite 60 size their giants are the virtually the same. Actually the bigger kit is a little easier to handle In my opinion. It's kinda like going from toothpicks to 2x4;s

Sorry didn't see where you said you didn't build it. With your budget the top flites coming complete with prints might fit better $ wise and they are probably better documented as far as building than a lot of the others.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:11 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How about a Yellow P47

This is a great plane to have, most of it done for you. Put the two wing halves together, glue the wing tips and glass the wing, primer and paint, drop the gear in, hinge the already made ailerons and flaps, wala! you have a wing!

The fuse.... mount the engine and tank, install cowl, glue in your servo tray, hinge the premade tail feathers....wala! you have a fuse...

You can build this plane in several weekends... ready for painting...

Building from sticks will take months, extra time for figuring out the plans and step by step instructions and looking for a piece in that big box.... (where did it go? found it! which way do I glue it? ahh! better call tech support, etc)... let alone cleaning up the balsa dust you generate....

The p47 is all around the best flyer, really doesnt matter who kits it... but you can't go wrong with a Yellow Kit. Engine won't be a problem either... glow, gas whatever.... find a good deal online for a 3.2, fits right in there without mods.

fw190
Old 02-07-2002, 02:48 PM
sproosemoose

My only problem with the yellow p47 is that its so expensive. over 500 bucks for the kit, and after that you have to pay for the engine radio and landing gear and eventually...ouch. i have looked at them before tho...all that prefab makes me drool. thanks for the help guys! keep this thread going! i learn more with every new reply!
thanks
Sproosemoose
Old 02-08-2002, 06:21 PM
f308gtsi

I have to second the vote on the Yellow P-47. I am buiding one right now. I doubt I will ever buildt a stick kit again ! The time you save will more than outweigh the extra cost. I just can't say enough about the yellow kit -- fuselage is perfect...no planking, sanding, glassing.....
Old 02-09-2002, 07:43 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I know its expensive, f308gtsi just made it clear what I am talking about.... I guess if you have a lot of time in your hands, do build from sticks... I used to build from sticks before and its just takes a really long time... I spend most of my time actually detailing a yellow kit than building it. Two weeks putting it together and a month detailing it out.

Don't get me wrong, I like building from sticks also specially when the plane is not available in glass form, but I do work a lot and have little time for this hobby... and that little time is spent out at the field.... looking up!

So f308gtsi how far are you now? step 16 of 32?

Here is my short story, I thought I would save some money and purchased an Innovative P47 instead of the Yellow, ~ 8 years ago. I thought I would save ~100 dollars but that was a mistake I had spent so much time trying to make things right from wrong that the ~100 savings cost me more than ~200 later (of my time and frustration) and boy was I sorry, but later I made things right and purchased a Yellow P47. I am very happy with it!

fw190
Old 02-09-2002, 08:30 AM
NdFrSpeed

Default Sproosemoose

If you like war birds,try the Fliteglass P-51,easy kit,64 inch wing,all glass fuselage.foam wings covered with wood,really nice kit,andddd there is one for sale on RCU right now.It comes with the spinner,everything.