Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

H9 Spitfire Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:07 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: H9 Spitfire Build

Another note. I am using a plastic spinner and I am done with that. There is quite a bit of vibration and I am going to have Dave Brown make me a custom order. The vibration is also causing my factory metal wing bolts to losen up a little in flight. Has anybody had this problem? Any suggestions? I was thinking about using locktite on them every day at the field, but don't know if this is the best solution. The locktite wouldn't be that big of a deal, other than forgeting to do it. Nylon Anyone?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:42 PM
maverick11359

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day spitfire66,
Sounds like your getting similar performance that I have been getting from my Saito 125 with incredible vertical performance and speed .I've also use to use a Master airscrew 15x7 3 blade but these days i'm using a 16x8 2 blade boly look alike composite from china . From memory also around 9,000 rpm for the 3 blade ,but now a constant 8,600 for the 16x8 2 blade . Fuel will change its performance as well, I use 10% nitro ,17% klotz and 73% methanol . I use a plastic spinner over the aluminum 3 blade because it keeps its overall the weight down .I save around 5 ounces of the nose with the plastic spinner and 2 blade prop.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:32 PM
jim pettis

ORIGINAL: spitfire66

Another note. I am using a plastic spinner and I am done with that. There is quite a bit of vibration and I am going to have Dave Brown make me a custom order. The vibration is also causing my factory metal wing bolts to losen up a little in flight. Has anybody had this problem? Any suggestions? I was thinking about using locktite on them every day at the field, but don't know if this is the best solution. The locktite wouldn't be that big of a deal, other than forgeting to do it. Nylon Anyone?
In the entire 57 pages of this thread (and I've read every one of them) there has not been a single reported incident of the wing bolts loosening up. I use simple washers between the bolt head and the reinforced area the bolts go into, and have never had them loosen up. I would suggest before going to locktite (which takes a few hours to set up and become effective) that you try some lock washers. Just my opinion. Nylon won't solve the issue either I think.

Did you check all your engine mounts? Firewall bolts? Maybe that beast of an engine is just too much for this plane and its frame?
Old 08-14-2011, 03:38 PM
LeeHunt

Hey mate try the rubber backed washers that are around I have found them to be really usefull for things that vibrate or come loose.
While Iam here i notice that mast of you are using epoxy for glue, have you heard of Hysol it is a wonderful product and has very unique features, such as ,you can run a bead upside down and it will not run, it seems to adhere to almost anything and really stands the test of time.
Just a couple of thoughts thats all!
Lee
Old 08-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Smoky

congrats on your flight. I am using 1/4 inch nylon bolts on mine. I have had no issues with them yet.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 PM
wingco

Have you tried using split washers on the wing bolts? They'll keep them tensioned.
Wingco
Old 08-20-2011, 12:25 PM
spitfire66

I think I wasn't tightening the wing bolts all the way. I overtightened once and cracked the wood and had to repair. I like the rubber washer and split washer idea. I need to do some recovering this week if I have time.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:37 PM
maverick11359

G'day guys,
             Finally  got to fly the Spit again last weekend ,its been a couple of months since i had the chance. Well i nailed it twice with two good landings with flaps and the third just ran of the runway into tall grass and stopped ( no nose overs at all even on the last).The trick with lifting the rear of the electric retracts with 1/8 inch with ply  angles the undercarridge forward about 5/8 of an inch. This helps stop the nose overs. The advice on landing approaches with flaps sure helped too.. Thanks guys.. cheers mav.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:46 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: maverick11359

G'day guys,
Finally got to fly the Spit again last weekend ,its been a couple of months since i had the chance. Well i nailed it twice with two good landings with flaps and the third just ran of the runway into tall grass and stopped ( no nose overs at all even on the last).The trick with lifting the rear of the electric retracts with 1/8 inch with ply angles the undercarridge forward about 5/8 of an inch. This helps stop the nose overs. The advice on landing approaches with flaps sure helped too.. Thanks guys.. cheers mav.

Got a picture showing that sucker on the ground?

Good news about your ground handling. 5/8"..... hmmmmmmm good info
Old 09-09-2011, 03:44 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maverick, are those Lado retracts that you're using? If so, did you have to do any modifications to the LG pockets to get them to fit???

I have a set of Lado's and will try to install them but would like to know about this ahead of time.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 09-09-2011, 07:04 PM
maverick11359

No not the lado's . Quote from my earlier post :-" These electric retracts are rated upto 9lb or 4.7kg and take standard 5mm piano wire undercarridge.They  come from Hobbyking online store   http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14838  and look identical to the Lado aluminium electric retracts,but fo a fraction of the cost but made from a composite plastic. So far I have broken the replaceable mounting plate on only one of the plastic retracts and that was from the last pancake landing (which was easily unscrewed and replaced)on the Spit ..I have them in my 46 size 6lb  P51  mustang and they work perfectly .My 46 size  Mustang came with identical retracts to the H9 Spit ,with only 4ml piano wire , it bent even on the good landings which became a pain in the butt straighting them all the time to fitt back in the wheel wells.. Best thing I ever discovered elecrtic retracts easy refitt and remove the old  mechanical retracts".

I had to pull the hobbyking electric retracts out of the spit wing and file a slight amount of timber off the inside  of the rear bearer mount  ,then glue the 1/8 inch ply on top of the same bearer ....this allowed the retracts to rotate forward slightly,,, 1/8 inch lift at wing base mount gave me 5/8 inch forward at wheel axle.

cheers mav'
Old 09-09-2011, 09:07 PM
maverick11359

PIc of the spit at Archville field .. Mav.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60847.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	1660069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81345.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	1660070  
Old 09-10-2011, 04:57 PM
N1EDM

Thanks, Maverick. That tells me what I needed to know. I appreciate the info.

Bob
Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 PM
modelflyer5

The problem with the wing bolts is not how much or how little your tightening your wing bolts. All fasteners that are in your plane that are metal on metal. (metal nut, metal bolt) will loosten up because of the harmonics caused by your gas engine. Gas engines will shake the fillings out of your teeth if the engine was strapped to your jaw.

Everytime that you fasten the wing to your plane, you need to blue locktite it. Any other fasteners on your plane that are metal to metal should have lock tite on them. You should also check these fasteners before every day of flying. Metal gear servos that have a metal fastener screw should also have locktite put on them. I have many friends that have lost planes just for that reason.

Blue locktite everything metal to metal.

Matt R
Old 09-13-2011, 01:51 PM
spitfire66

Thanks for that info. I wasn't sure if using that would be a good idea or not just because I would have to do it everytime and wasn't sure if it would mess things up. I guess we are only talking about the wing bolts that have to be fastened and loosened everytime.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 PM
modelflyer5

Yes, Lock tite your wing bolts. Make sure that you go through the whole plane and do the same to all metal fasteners that are screwed into metal.

Matt R
Old 09-16-2011, 12:09 AM
maverick11359

Good idea modelflyer5, I just pulled the cowl of my Spit before it takes to the sky tomorrow morning and discovered one engine bolt missing from the mount to the fire wall . Just shows how they vibrate loose and the plane god smiling at me for your timely post...Thanks.. I've put a little 271 loctite on all bolts..
Also guys I found loctite 271 does not stand up to the heat from our engines or mufflers after acouple of days flying cut short due to loose mufflers on my saitos, I did a little researched into loctite and found that at 150 degrees celcius loctite 271 looses 50% of its strenght. I now use loctite 263 which has a higher heat tollerance than 271..To undo any thread though using 263 you need to use heat (above 180Degrees C ), gas bottle or heat gun direct on the joint.
Thanks Mav,
Old 10-02-2011, 02:21 PM
spitfire66

Flew the spitfire today and had a pretty good flight. I am in the process of breaking in the dle 20 and it is running great. I am spinning the 16x8x3 blade at 8400 static rpm and the engine pulls the plane around great. Unfortuately I beefed up the retracts with 3/8" music wire and had a bad landing which ripped out 1 retract. O well, just a little glue and I'll be back in service by tomorro afternoon. Are most of you using flaps for landing? It seems when I use flaps I always let it hang there until it stalls and just drops without warning. I had better luck with no flap landings at this point and just keeping it fast. I have mentally had hard time keeping up the speed until in the landing flare thinking I will land too long. Just need more experience. I think repairing my airplane everytime will help expunge the habbit. Happy flying!
Old 10-02-2011, 04:11 PM
N1EDM

Sorry about your issue with the retracts, but they will be fixed OK.

I was going to install some Lado retracts in mine temporarily, to try them out before putting them in another plane (OK, so I wanted to play with them ). You said that you changed to a 3/8" music wire gear. Did you perhaps mean 3/16" instead??? Were these the stock retracts?

I did some mods to my plane and haven't flown it yet. I put in a 95AX (hasn't been run yet) and some Robart Robo-Struts on 3/16" wire. I hope that, besides looking really good, they will smooth out the bumps on the landing...

Bob
Old 10-02-2011, 06:26 PM
maverick11359

G'day spitfire66 and N1EDM ,
Sorry also to hear about your retracts ..Well i also flew the spit last weekend and had two bad landings and one get out of jail free pass on the last . I'm finding Its really hard to adjust landings from one warbird ,my Mustang to my Spitfire .. Particularly if i fly the Mustang first.,like last weekend...
I'm like you Spitfire66 I'm coming in with flaps down on the Spit but stalling right as i'm about to touch down ,usually a foot of the ground ,one wingtip hits and then she cartwheels . I've been lucky and done no damage so far. My last flight from last weekend she stalled again a foot from the ground but I quickly pushed throttle up to half and then back to third she leveled her wingtips out off the stall and landed perfectly.
The problem is my Mustang doesn't have flaps so i come in at a less decent angle and slightly less speed ,but as soon as her wheels are about to touch ground I throttle off and and when on the ground i pull hard up elevator to stop the nose over due to the retracts.
The Spit is a whole lot different and a lot of work... The landings I nail come in at a much stepper decent with flaps down and have to be at "speed", at just less than half throttle until i'm just about to touch down then pull back to around third to quarter throttle to about 12 inches from the ground, then I flair using a tiny touch of up elevator and wheels hit still at a reasonable speed( much faster than say a sports model or even my Mustang) ,let her roll for 15 feet washing off speed(don't worry if she bounces) before throttling off completely to idle ,then when slow enough pull hard up elevator( not to early) to stop nose over ,..
It does work I've had many more good landings with flaps than shockers you just have to remember to come in faster than you do normally with most other aircraft ,the flaps cut the landing distance down after you touch down to about 20 to 25 feet ,where as with out flaps you still need to come in at the same speed to stop from stalling but you roll twice the distance .
Old 10-03-2011, 02:21 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you tried the flap-to-elevator mix? Add some down elevator to maintain airspeed.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 AM
spitfire66

I think mixing in down elevator would be a great solution to MY individual problem, but I don't really know how to do that on my jr sx600. I can look through the manual. I am just letting it get too slow. I like Maverick 11359's method and will try that. I just keep chopping the throttle instead of flying the airplane to the ground. I have 300 feet of runway to work with surrounded by tall grass if I go long. I have thought about what I'm doing wrong quite a bit and I think I would rather come in fast and use the whole runway and potentially runoff the runway or go-around than stall and plop the thing in again. I'll get it figured out, I just wanted to see if I was the only one having problems with landing.

Yes, 3/16 music wire not 3/8. I have to recover the monocote where the damage was done, redo the retract wire setup with the servo and I will be ready to go.

N1EDM,

Be careful about have an aft cg. The elevator is extremely touchy and will shoot toward the sun. I can't remember my exact cg, but I think it is slightly less than 5 inches, I think 4 3/4. I posted my cg earlier in the thread. Good Luck!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Lifer

Your experiences parallel mine. I really abused my first flap equipped model.Now, on test flights, I take it up high, drop the flaps, and have my buddy input down elevator on the elevator-to-flap mix til it has a pronounced downward glide. Why don't you swing over to the Sunchasers field and I can help you. PM me for a phone number.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:35 PM
maverick11359

G'day spitfire66 ,
                  As lifer  stated  it will help if you use down elevator mix with your flaps, I do  ... 

We talked about it back a couple of pages ago on this thread..If you use the same throws , 1 inch down on full flaps and 1 inch up/down elevator  (full rates ) and mix 15 %  down mix elevator ,you will have the same throws as I use .. 

I experimented by trial and error in flight too and like lifer stated  you need slight down glide decent with the elevator mix in.  15% mix seemed to be right .
Old 10-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Lifer

I'll be at the Sunchasers field tomorrow morning at 10am if you'd like to come out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.