Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

powering the H-9 mustang

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

powering the H-9 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 03:47 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: powering the H-9 mustang

Yeah Richard,

Watching your videos is what inspired me to install the ys and move the tank. This winter I will recover mine to look like Tuskegee airmen colors (my nephew thinks it will be cool). Not sure which one yet (don't want to copy yours).
Old 11-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All of the Tuskegee airmen color schemes are cool, so no matter which one you do, it will turn out great. The hardest part is getting the line from the turtle deck down to the bottom rear of the fuse straight.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:39 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bigtim, don't get coughy up in the thrust talk. The engine wants to pull the plane. My 60's are 1978 super tigres (not long strokes) and I run 12x9's on them. I'ld lean towards a 13x8 for the first flight.

Joe
Old 11-29-2006, 09:04 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guys as usual great info I think I have both the 13/8 and 14/6 the 61 really does pull its also nice and light
Old 12-05-2006, 12:17 AM
bigtim

so I am back with another engine question I got a OS91surpass for a reasonable price and the question is on my 91surpass II the case vent recirculates back to the intake manifold,and I use the muffler nipple for fuel tank pressure.

on this other four stroke there is a vent in the bottom of the case, or in my case when I invert the engine it would be aiming toward the top, and also a nipple on the muffler which one do I use for the tank pressure and if its the muffler nipple what do I do with the crank case nipple do I vent it outside the cowl plug it, or does it run to my tank,the instructions don't say much about plumbing of the engine I don't want a bunch of fuel lining my cowl for sure my plan for this engine is to install it in my spitfire which has a tight cowl.

possibly in the stang if I don't like the 61 2st option I have chosen, HELP! I have limited 4st expeirence trying to soak up as much info as I can.
this is a shot of my surpass II you can see the recirc tube from the case to the intake manifold.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15029.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	571935  
Old 12-05-2006, 01:08 AM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bigtim

on this other four stroke there is a vent in the bottom of the case, or in my case when I invert the engine it would be aiming toward the top, and also a nipple on the muffler which one do I use for the tank pressure and if its the muffler nipple what do I do with the crank case nipple do I vent it outside the cowl plug it, or does it run to my tank,the instructions don't say much about plumbing of the engine I don't want a bunch of fuel lining my cowl for sure my plan for this engine is to install it in my spitfire which has a tight cowl.
That nipple on the case is for breathing. Simply put a piece of tub on it and let it hang free inside the cowl or enough so it hangs slightly outside the cowl on the bottom. All its there for really is to expell excess oil or unburnt fuel that didnt get pushed out the muffler. Hardly anything really comes out of it but a few drops here and there. The nipple on the muffler is for your tank pressure.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:13 AM
bigtim

cool, thanks I was looking at the engine today and ????? marks kept coming up
Old 12-05-2006, 08:08 PM
paladin

BigTim, put the overflow in the air stream. I ruined a well used engine when I inverted it in a cub and left the tubing in the cowl. The oil never got to the bearings they came apart and recked the engine.

Putting the tubing in the airstream, even dangling, will cause a syphen and help to pull oil up to the bearings.

Name:	Rp42177.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	572360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93656.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	572361  
Old 12-05-2006, 08:30 PM
bigtim

hey Joe, it looks like you have it looped and then attached to some brass do you leave the hose open ended in the cowl or do you have it hooked up to something? was thinking I might epoxy some brass tubing to the bottom of my cowl for the hose to connect to so the hose wouldn't flop around the cowl and make a mess in there.
never thought about suction for oil distribution though.
I would guess its why the surpass II has the recirc set up it has now.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:20 PM
paladin

Bigtim, sorry that is a picture of the engine that was toasted. The hose's you see is the filler hose's. I don't have any of it with the over flow hose hanging out. I thought I took some after installing the new bearings. It is just a third hose that hanges out the same distenceas the ones in the picture.

Joe
Old 12-06-2006, 11:48 PM
bigtim

thanks for the clarification I was looking at the photo and was thinking that hose is going somewhere LOL.I have a idea now thanks for the help
Old 02-13-2007, 01:57 AM
bigtim

whew! well I finally cracked the box on this bird unfortunitely my son had a long hospital stay 42 days and the stang got back burnered, I now have the wings together and all servos installed getting the retract servo dialed in, and I will be on to the fuse I will post some pics soon.
it looks as though the OS61 will fit in the cowl nicely with no extra cutting,I will be using the Top Flight in cowl muffler for exhaust.
another mod will be to relocate the tail wheel to a more scale location, I happen to have the tail wheel hardware from my TF Thunderbolt that I didn't use (went with the Robart retractable unit) so I will use that for a closer to scale look, never did like the tw on my P-40 hanging off the tail its just a little mod and its not retractable but at least it will be in the scale location progress has been going fast it is a ARF after all so I should have something to show soon.
BT
Old 02-20-2007, 07:27 PM
bigtim

well some news for the stang got finished with the basics last night cutting the cowl and installed the wheel covers, after much deliberation and a few moments to think it over I went ahead and mounted a OS 91surpass I bought from EBAY I saved a few $$ on it so I figured I would go with that,the OS 61 2st and the TF muffler I had just wouldn't fit in the space provided like I wanted it to, funny thing is was wondering why they were selling this clean looking engine so cheap, well today I fired it up and whew what a smoker I was a little bummed at first but the high end was running well and it sounded solid it would just smoke out my garage when it was idling well out comes the book and I was checking the settings WOW someone had backed the low end out to the max had some screws loosen up on me so I will ground test tomorrow.
I also did the tail wheel mod, no stickers yet not to sure about them think I will make some more realistic exhaust stacks also I just want to fly it and go from there here are some pics after my run in.

Name:	Om33823.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	626007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56205.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	626008  
Old 03-02-2007, 01:25 AM
bigtim

back with engine Questions the used OS 91 I bought on EBAY runs pretty good but doesn't want to idle,I went to fooling with the mixture screw and haven't been able to dial it in,I set the mixture back to the factory recomended settings but it still smokes like hell, got the high end with good rpm's 10,200 just the low end is kicking my rear is there a method to dial this engine in it seems to want to run its just smokes alot more than it should it seems to me and won't get a good idle without cutting out.
mainly is there a solid low end RPM I should be shooting for and how do you tell if a engine needs to go to the shop for a rebuild and if the rings or carb needs help, of course my new 91fs runs super this used one is giving me fits I hate to throw good $$ after bad
Old 04-05-2007, 01:34 AM
bigtim

got a new OS 91 and also got some Tony Howard scale exhaust manifolds they look good and are a step up for this arf makes it look closer to scale in a big way, the maiden went well and the gear held up well also ( must be my buttery landings) LOL back to building the P-47 flying days ahead yay!one thing durring the maiden the gear door covers were dragging the gear out of the wings second flight of the day they were removed less drag and strain on the week H-9 gear other than 2 clicks of down elev. and this plane flys awesome the weekend is a couple of days away.

Name:	Bz78561.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	657381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80732.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	657382