Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

H9 Corsair flaps

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:14 PM
sfsjkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 Corsair flaps

Thanks Craig! Really cool how the flaps go down so realistically. If H9 does not come out with their flap version soon, I'm going to take a week off of work and use your thread as a guide!

BTW I'm glad you put this in a separate thread, I just put "H9 Corsair Flaps" in the search box and it came up instantly, rather than wading through hundreds of threads.
BTW2 Is there a way to search in just one thread?
Old 03-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Craig-RCU

You're very welcome sfsjkid. I agree that very usefull information can get burried in those long threads. Unfortunatly, the search tools don't seem to allow searching single threads which might help un-burry information.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:50 PM
sfsjkid

Thanks again!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Michael211
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Craig! In your opinion would it be better to wait for the manufacturer to release this plane with functioning flaps already included or just get an existing H9 Corsair and add them?

I'm on the fence here. I've built planes from scratch before, and have been very successful at scratch building... however I agonize over the idea of cutting into an already completed and finished wing to add things! LOL!

I don't *have* to have a Corsair immediately but I am moving my small fleet from 40 sized planes to 60 sized planes and would like to have a 60 sized Corsair.

What's your opinion?

Your video of those flaps dropping down is really kewl!!! Great job, very realistic looking!

ps. How do they perform in flight as opposed to how it flew without them?

Thanks!

- Michael
Old 03-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Craig-RCU

That is a tough question to answer since I haven't seen any pictures of the rumored production H9 Corsair with flaps to judge them. I don't know if the rumor is even true or how accurate to scale they might be or how accurate to scale you require or would settle for. The more accurate to scale the harder the build in the case of Corsair flaps. I'd say my flaps are about 80% true to scale, while the Topflight method is about 50% true to scale but are easier to build.

If you don't have to have a Corsair right now, then I guess I'd wait and see. If you did decide to get a H9 Corsair without flaps, I don't think that you would be disappointed with the way it flys. Flaps are more of a scale feature "nicety" rather than a necessity for this plane since it is so light. Flaps add lift and drag so they make planes able to fly slower and slow down quicker which allows a steeper approach angle and helps prevent overshooting the runway.

Thanks for the complements on my flaps, Craig
Old 03-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Michael211

Here's an e-mail exchange I had today with a seller on Ebay regarding the next generation Corsair models:

<<Hello we have some 40 and 60 size corsairs on order they should arrive within 3-4 weeks please check back with me then if your still interested thanks.

Michael <[email protected]> wrote:
John will you be offering a 60 sized Corsair anytime soon? I'm looking for one to match the features in this Mustang (ie. retracts and flaps). Thanks!>>

Last week I purchased a 60 sized Mustang from John, virtually identical to the one Hanger 9 sells except that this one has the scale flaps. I'd guess John is getting these ARF's from the same overseas manufacturer as Hanger 9.

So I'm going to give it till the end of April at least and see what new Corsair ARF's come about.

- Michael
Old 05-16-2007, 04:37 AM
steff5l6

ORIGINAL: Michael211

Here's an e-mail exchange I had today with a seller on Ebay regarding the next generation Corsair models:

<<Hello we have some 40 and 60 size corsairs on order they should arrive within 3-4 weeks please check back with me then if your still interested thanks.

Michael <[email protected]> wrote:
John will you be offering a 60 sized Corsair anytime soon? I'm looking for one to match the features in this Mustang (ie. retracts and flaps). Thanks!>>

Last week I purchased a 60 sized Mustang from John, virtually identical to the one Hanger 9 sells except that this one has the scale flaps. I'd guess John is getting these ARF's from the same overseas manufacturer as Hanger 9.

So I'm going to give it till the end of April at least and see what new Corsair ARF's come about.

- Michael
some news about next H9 corsair with flaps?...
Old 05-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Michael211

Nada.

- Michael
Old 05-17-2007, 02:54 AM
steff5l6

ORIGINAL: Michael211

Nada.

- Michael
pffff.bad news ...
Old 05-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Sharpeye22

Hi all,
Do you believe that one could build the flaps for the TopFlight GE Corsair in this manner instead of the way TF plans instruct? I am considering getting the TF version instead of the H9 one.
Thanks,
Larry
Old 05-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Craig-RCU

Looking at the Topflight GE Corsair manual, it appears that the aft wing spar is about a half inch too far back in front of the flaps to make flaps of the proper chord size. If you made a new aft spar to fit in the scale position (as is the case with the Hangar 9 Corsair wing) and then padded the leading edge of the flaps with balsa to make up the difference, you could make the Topflight Corsair flaps more scale. The only significant structural difference (as far as the flaps are concerned) between the Topflight Corsair wing and the Hangar 9 Corsair wing, is the position of the aft spar in front of the flaps. If you look at the bottom pictures of my Hangar 9 Corsair wing, you'll notice that the leading edge of the flap is well forward of the aileron hinge. Clear as mud?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Sharpeye22

Thanks Craig,
I think I got it. I would have to move the aft spar forward in the wing and construct the flaps accordingly before hinging, etc.

I would like to try my hand at building a sport scale Corsair that has a few nice relatively scale touches such as these wonderful flaps.

Larry
Old 05-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Craig-RCU

Thanks Larry. I finally got some video of the flaps in the air (the last 20 seconds of the clip). I can't seem to edit post #3 of this thread to update those video links, so I'll post the links here.
http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/N0SPSMZTXJY917LG
http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/P8320M0WN0VGV637
http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/GQB9J317CSK3SNZY
Old 06-11-2007, 03:07 PM
patrick181

Sorry, old thread but this is amazing and I may try to copy it. I just picked up a H9 Corsair loaded with Saito 100, radio sys and new cowl for $75! So its well worth the risk of screwing up a wing Bird was beat on a little by some kid. Needs a retract, vertical stab, canopy and some minor patchwork. If I can put retracts with doors on an E-Flite P-47 foamy, I think I can tackle this.

Craig if your still around, I'd like to ask you what you used to cut the flaps out, how deep a flap did you cut and if you had to re-cover the wing?

Thanks,

Patrick
Old 06-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Craig-RCU

Thanks Patrick, it sounds like you got a very good deal on your Corsair. I used an exacto knife to cut the balsa sheeting and a razor saw to cut the ribs. On the bottom, the flaps are cut all the way up to the aft rib for the inner two sections of flap. The outer flap is 20mm deeper than the aileron hinge line where it meets the aileron. On the top, the flap is 66mm deep for the two inner flaps. The outer flap tapers down from 66mm to 60mm deep at the aileron. You should probably tape those dimensions out on your wing before you do any cutting and compare the lines with a good three view drawing to make sure it looks right because our wings may not be exactly alike. I did not have to recover the wing but i did recover the flaps.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:44 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to add flaps to mine as well.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:26 AM
erec11

Hello Craig this is a new friend from Portugal, tell me what weels are those in your Corsair?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Craig-RCU

Welcome erec11,
It is an honor to have your first post in my thread. The wheels are made by Robart. I don't remember the diameter but they are about the same size as the stock wheels.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:07 PM
erec11

Whell Craig its not easy to wright in English ( you try in Portuguese...) but i will tray!! i´m building this Corsair 50 from CMP so i was loocking for some one who could at this time really help me but when i find you and your Corsair....................!! Please that is a new world for me!! i have this trainer from Seagull (where i´m learning to fly) and a P51 .46 from Kyosho with a OS 46 AX ready to fly ( not very soon..........) and i just buy this Corsair because there was the plane that i really loved, but the only model that i could buy was the H9 .60 and belive it when i say it was really expensive!! So i waitt and now buy this. I have some questions : first of all the engine! the plane is from .46 to .50 so first i was loocking for the new OS 55 AX but then i read in this page some one that have this with a .61 and flys great, i also new some one that flys with a 46 AX....! I fly in a military base so i dont need the power to take off that those who fly in a grass field. I think i will go for the 55AX with a Pitts muffler!!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 AM
DVM100

Craig, I gotta congratulate you on your flaps man, they look the part!!! Unfortunately my Corsair is in the Hangar for some serious pairs after a base leg wind sheer that drove her straight into the deck. I'm trying to get a replacement kit here in Australia and it is just impossible! The importer doesn't want to help me, and when I try to order one from the States they won't ship one because I'm not a retailer! Catch 22 - how can I get a new H9 Corsair??
Old 06-19-2007, 12:47 AM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DVM100

Craig, I gotta congratulate you on your flaps man, they look the part!!! Unfortunately my Corsair is in the Hangar for some serious pairs after a base leg wind sheer that drove her straight into the deck. I'm trying to get a replacement kit here in Australia and it is just impossible! The importer doesn't want to help me, and when I try to order one from the States they won't ship one because I'm not a retailer! Catch 22 - how can I get a new H9 Corsair??
Pay someone in the states to buy one from a local hobby shop and ship it to you. I bought mine this last Saturday for $209 (USD) while Horizon lists them at $264. The shipping part is the killer though.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:53 PM
tyr2473

craig-rcu

firstly, nice job on the flaps! how did you attatch the hinge pins? did you have to build up the inside of the wing with a ply and balsa wood combination?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:29 PM
orvel

Craig-RCU, first of all let me congratulate you on the great job you did on those flaps guy!. They look awesome, and when it comes to a Corsair I think they make all the difference in the world as far as scale looks and doing a great looking warbird a lot of justice. Having said that, I really think your loosing out on some good money! If I were you I would pattent it and make a conversion kit out of it which you could either sell on your own or sell the design and rights to Hangar 9. If that model came with flaps I'd bet their sales would go through the roof. Honestly, the reason I didn't buy that model is because it had no flaps, and I'm not that talented to do what you did! Anyway great job and BTW, how are those landings with those cool scale flaps hanging out?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Craig-RCU

Thanks, tyr and orvel.

tyr,
I used balsa blocks in the wing and flaps to anchor the hinge pins in place. Actually, most of the support for the end of the hinges that is glued into the wing is from balsa blocks glued to the outside of the wing (check out pics in posts #9 and 11)

orvel,
As far as I can tell, the largest market for a conversion kit would require it to be "drop-in, ARF-simple." I've done some thinking about how to make a conversion kit that is "drop-in, ARF-simple," but have been stumped because of the internal wing structure that has to be patched in. If Hanger 9 was to add flaps, they would be better off designing them in instead of "patching in" my design. I thought of offering fiberglass flap parts, which would save a lot of labor on the project, but would not alleviate the "structural tinkering in the wing" problem. Maybe I've missed something?

Some video of the flaps in post #38
Old 08-15-2007, 05:19 AM
tyr2473

thanks for the info Craig. I'll post some pictures to show how I'm getting on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.