Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

WW II Recommended Reading

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

WW II Recommended Reading

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 05:18 PM
Rooster353
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WW II Recommended Reading

Two good books are:

Fly For Your Life by Larry Forrester
"The glorious story of Engleand's Greateast Air Ace, Robert Stanford Tuck and his Deadly Spitfire" (from cover notes)

and

Tumult in the Clouds by Lt Col James A Goodson
"A gripping firsthand account of the heroic American Volunteers who flew for the RAF against the greatest german fighter aces of WW II". (from cover notes)

And if there's a good military book that you've enjoyed,
you can share it here.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:54 PM
Auger Din

Default ALso.......

Don't forget about :

Reach for the Sky about Douglas Bader, the legless badboy RAF pilot who was a wingleader before he was shot down just in time to give the Germans one big kick in the pants as a prisoner.

Also there is a book about A.C. (Sailor) Milan, one of Britan's top air aces of WWII. Sorry, I forgot the name of the book. But as I recall it was very well done.

From the Axis side, there is The First and the Last by Adolph Galland. Top scorer for Germany in most theaters.

Or JG-26 which concerns Germany's top fighter squadron and aces.

For the Japanese, the book ZERO! about Saburo Sakai is a very good account of the other side of the story.

For the American's the book Thunderbolt! is a great book about Gabby Gabresky. An American fighter ace, and wing leader.

Also P-38 about the excellant fighter from design to retirement.

UM...Oh yes.....for a bit of story time...

Baa Baa Black Sheep about Gregory "Pappy" Boyington, and his self reported exploits.

Or Once They Were Eagles concerning the rest of the Black Sheep. Great book about the rest of the story.

lesee...there is also The Cactus Air Force about the naval and army aviators in the fight for Guadalcanal.

Man there are so many more, but my poor mind isn't coming up with them.....
Old 02-13-2002, 02:55 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Back in the 70's I read 'Airwar' by Joseph Lombanski (sp?) and it's 2 volumes and it will leave you on the edge of your seat!!! Great stories of air combat in europe and south Pacific that will leave wondering how and the HELL did they come through that one??? My late Father In law was at Tinian when the Enola Gay was there and he worked on the B-29's. He told me once a 29 came back with a Zero stuck in its side and barely able to fly. He went in it and he said he found pieces of the japanese pilot everywhere, these are the kind of stories you will read in Airwar!
Old 02-13-2002, 05:24 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Default Re: ALso.......

Originally posted by Auger Din
Don't forget about :

Reach for the Sky about Douglas Bader, the legless badboy RAF pilot who was a wingleader before he was shot down just in time to give the Germans one big kick in the pants as a prisoner.
I read this book when I was a kid and just couldn't get enough of it. I think I have read it about 50 times.

I still have my copy of it nicely packed away somewhere too!
Old 02-14-2002, 01:50 AM
florida817
My Feedback: (1)

Default WWII Recommended Reading

A good topic! There are a lot of great books on WWII flying and I enjoy reading about other people's favorites. A couple of my all time favorites are:

Non-Fiction

The Big Show by Pierre Closterman.
Out of print now (I think) and hard to find, but a great account of flying Mk IX Spitfires and Tempests against late model Me-109's and FW-190D's. Not all heroics, but truly how he lived, flew, fought and survived from 1943 until the end of the War.

Fiction

Piece of Cake by Derek Robinson.
Still available through Amazon.com. A fictional accounting of an RAF fighter squadron prior and during the Battle of Britain. Widely criticized in England when it was published, but technically accurate. Made into a 6 part BBC-TV series and shown a few years back. Some of the best Spitfire flying scenes ever shot. Available on DVD from Amazon.com.

And no, I don't work for them!

Tom
Old 02-14-2002, 01:52 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Default Re: WWII Recommended Reading

Originally posted by florida817
Piece of Cake by Derek Robinson.
I can't believe it! Another one I have read and loved and I still have the book packed away for keeps.
Old 02-14-2002, 03:16 AM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

"The Blonde Knight of Germany" The story of Eric Hartmann. Germany's greatest Ace. 351 victory's. Awsome book. It's been awhile since I read it though.
Old 02-15-2002, 03:18 AM
rbshirley-delete

Default "A Glorious Day in Our History"

One of the best WWII Pacific War History books concentrating primarily on aviation is "A Glorius Page in our History" ISBN 0-929521-40-4

This is the most complete telling of the Battle of Midway I have found. Every page is full of period photographs and stories of the ships, aircraft, and the men who fought the battle on the US side ... both from the two islands (Sand and Eastern) of Midway and on the three US carriers involved. The page size of the book is large (8 1/2 by 11) and the paper high quality. So the photgraphs are vivid and the descriptions and diagrams compelling.

Since the battle was totally fought with aircraft, the book is also treasure trove of facts and interesting first person accounts of the failures and successes of each of the many types of aircraft engaged ... and the tactics (and luck) utilized by each during the battle. All extensively documented with photographs of the equipment and the personnel involved, and with maps and diagrams to illustrate the several twists and turns of the battle and its outcome.

For example, this is the first account I have found that relates, in graphic detail, the real reason that LCDR John Waldron took his Torpedo Eight Squadron off on a divergent course that led to their being the first carrier aircraft to find and attack the Japanese (without fighter or bomber assistance) ... and which resulted in the loss of all but one man in the squadron.

But beyond the interesting accounts of the battle history, the book also addresses the history of the Midway Atoll itself, from its discovery in the 19th century, through the battle and subsequent further utilization during WWII, and leading up to its current status as a wildlife refuge.

All in all, a great read ... and a must have for anyone interested in the history of military aviation or the war in the pacific.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3005_3123.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	2609  
Old 02-15-2002, 03:32 AM
sproosemoose

Default good books

one of my personal favorites is "War In the Air" by Stephen Coonts. most of the book is excerpts from some of the previously mentioned books. The end though, is an account of Steven Ritchie's first kill in vietnam in an F4 phantom. He's got lotsa other books too...The Cannibal Queen is about him flying around the continental US in a restored Stearman, and (if Vietnam is ur thing) he's the author of "flight of the intruder". other's are not so famous...most all are "techno-thrillers" ne who...just my two cents.

Sproosemoose
Old 02-15-2002, 03:45 AM
jpflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default Books

Great topic, especially if you like to read! I love reading the exploits of the WW2 pilots. Check out these titles if you can find them:

Zemke's Wolf Pack by Roger Freeman- a great account Hub Zemke's battles in the Thunderbolt.

Fighter over Finland by Eino Luukkanen- first they fought the Germans, then Russians, then..... Great reading about the Finns in WW2.

Wing Leader by J. E. Johnson. One of my heros recently departed. Spitfires, Hurricanes, Messerschimdts, and Focke Wulfs, can it get any better?

I Flew for the Fuhrer by Heinz Knocke. A good account of the Axis side. The early successes and the latter defeats.

A great novel is Gray Eagles (author unknown) is a really good read about some German Industrialists who rebuild Some BF-109s in the 1970's supposedly for airshow work, but end up fighting Mustangs reliving WW2.
Old 02-15-2002, 08:48 PM
Auger Din

To add a couple of more that recently came to mind:

At Dawn We Slept concerning the attack on Pearl Harbor from both sides of the story. I forgot the author's name, but its a great in depth read.

And by the same author:

Miracle at Midway. An excellant read that again tells the story from both sides of the conflict.

Another is The Jolly Rogers by Tom Blackburn concerning his naval air squadron days in WWII

For the ground pounders, there is the book Strong Men Armed concerning the Marine fighting throughout the war.

and finally A Helmet for my Pillow which is a recount of one Marine's war. I highly reccomend reading this if you can get your hands on it.

There are many more, so lets keep posting them. I've alredy seen a few that I've missed, and intend on looking up.
Old 02-16-2002, 12:56 AM
CSpierings
My Feedback: (29)

Default books

Into the Teeth of the Tiger, WW2 China

The Roarin 20s A20s in the pacific

To Fly and Fight - Bud Anderson, Mustangs in Europe

Thunderbolt Bob Johnson and Martin Caiden

Chris
Old 02-16-2002, 01:29 AM
Auger Din

Default Re: books

Originally posted by CSpierings
Into the Teeth of the Tiger, WW2 China

The Roarin 20s A20s in the pacific

To Fly and Fight - Bud Anderson, Mustangs in Europe

Thunderbolt Bob Johnson and Martin Caiden

Chris
Thunderbold by Bob Johnson! Thanks for coming up with that name. I posted the book in an earlier post, but his name escaped me.

I loved that book, especially about how it referred to the toughness of the fighter.

Remember the section where he describes the crash landing of one of his pilots in the water off of the East Coast? The man's engine gave out on takeoff, and he rode the plane into the sound where it did a bunch of cartwheels. The guy got out alive with only a broken nose and some bruises!

Man, what a tough bird that plane was!

Take it easy.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:54 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

I've read several of the books mentioned in the previous postings and agree that a good book is still the best entertainment.

My number one choice is "Diary of an Unknown Aviator" by Eliot White Springs. I had heard about it ffrom several sources as being the most accurate account of American fliers during WW I. It's written in the form of a day-to-day diary by a pilot who was ultimately killed in combat.

The story captures the youthful exuberance of the the pilots starting out, their excitement and pride in the early days of combat, and eventually their dispair over lost friends and the expectation of their own deaths.

Mr. Springs provided the final chapters and then edited it all for publication. It has been out of print for years and it took me a long time to finally get a copy but that was years ago - before you could find anything on the internet.

(Before anyone asks, my copy is NOT available for sail or loan)
Old 02-20-2002, 06:32 AM
Rooster353

Default Two More

Two more keepers that have been read more than once....

A Proud American-The Autobiography of Joe Foss
"What John Wayne was to film, Joe Foss tops in real life"
(cover note by G Gordon Liddy). I lucked into this book
at an airport while on a ski trip. What is amazing is that
so few people are aware of this man's accomplishments,
both during the war and thereafter. A good read.

and

P-47 Pilots- The Bomber Boys by Tom Glenn
This one is a favorite because it is an unembellished
account of the day to day life in a ground attack
P47 squadron. Well written, easy to read.
Walter Middy would have loved it too.

Rooster
Old 02-26-2002, 01:18 AM
mmorg1
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lope's Hope is a good read. P-40 pilot in the pacific, published by bantam books. Non WWII read a lonely kind of war.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:48 AM
Rooster353

My War By Andy Rooney of 60 Minutes fame.

Did you know he was a war correspondent for
Stars and Stripes in Europe during WWII?

He was there. Easy read too.

Rooster
Old 11-01-2009, 11:16 AM
aghost

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: WW II Recommended Reading

The Mighty Eighth The Colour Record

by Roger Freeman (deceased).

About 200 pages of color photos of B-17s, B-24s, P-47s, P-51s, nose art plus a few of other WWII planes. I've seen references in other threads to Roger Freeman's books, but not this particular one.

Brian
Old 11-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Two More

Joe was a friend of mine; and I still miss him. A real American Hero; and he lived large all his life. Thanks; Ernie P.

[quote]ORIGINAL: Rooster353

Two more keepers that have been read more than once....

A Proud American-The Autobiography of Joe Foss
''What John Wayne was to film, Joe Foss tops in real life''
(cover note by G Gordon Liddy). I lucked into this book
at an airport while on a ski trip. What is amazing is that
so few people are aware of this man's accomplishments,
both during the war and thereafter. A good read.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:13 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Agreed on the topic. This is one that all of us can sink our teeth into!

Some of my favorites:

"The Few" by Alex Kershaw. Details some of the American boys who flew for the RAF during the Battle of Britain.

"Nanette" by Edwards Park. Written by one who flew the P-39 Airacobra in New Guinea during the early part of WWII.

"Flyboys" by James Bradley. Downed aircrew at the hands of the Japanese at Chi Chi Jima.

"Wreaking Havoc" by Joseph Rutter. From joining the Army Air Corps to flying A-20 Havocs over New Guinea.

"Marauder Man" by Kenneth Brown. Experiences as a navigator aboard a B-26 Marauder in the ETO.

"Mad Rebel" by John Oliphint. From P-47s to P-51s, from low level strafing to high altitude dog fights to capture and torture by the Gestapo.....all first hand experiences.

"Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" by Ted Lawson. The Doolittle Raid from the pilot seat of one of the raiders.

"An Ace of the Eighth" by Norman Fortier. P-47 Thunderbolt pilot and ace flying over Europe from late 1943 to mid-1945. Consumate dog fighter!

Something that most of us are aware of but too many are not, we are losing these men at a fantastic rate. When they are gone only their words will remain. If any of you have an opportunity to speak with someone of this generation, DO IT! We owe them so very, very much! God bless them all!

Al
Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Lucky Dog
My Feedback: (1)

Great list! Many of these books contributed to my love of military aviation (and poor grades in school).

Add to those:

"The Ragged, Rugged, Warriors" by Martin Caiden. Much of it pre- US entry WW2 air combat, and allied pilots fighting early in the war in obsolescent aircraft.

"Sole Survivor" by George Gay. Sole survivor of Torpedo Squadron 8 in the Battle of Midway. ( I'm honored to have met Lt. Cmdr. Gay at Glenview Naval Air Station in the late 1980s)

"Forked Tail Devil" - Martin Caiden. The P-38 Lighting from conception to combat, and the men who flew them.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:20 AM
sarpet

francis gary powers Operation overflight
Old 11-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Alex7403

book recommendations:

The Dam Busters

The Big Show by Pierre Closterman

Doorknob five two
Old 11-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Evil_Merlin

Default RE: WW II Recommended Reading

The Blonde Knight Of Germany, the life of Eric Hartmann (the world's Ace of Aces 352 confirmed kills)

Two Man Air Force: The History of Don Gentile and John Godfrey

Luftwaffe Over America: A scary look at German's long range bomber and nuclear plans

Top Secret Bird: The history of the Me 163, from the pilot's point of view (Spate)

Butcher Bird: The history of the Fw 190

The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Dora: Crandell's bible on the Dora
Old 11-03-2009, 12:34 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Duel of Eagles by Peter Townsend

"Greatest book ever written on the Battle of Britain" - Wayne Davies