Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What parts did you use to build your CMP P-51 140? (Build thread)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What parts did you use to build your CMP P-51 140? (Build thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:44 AM
chris j
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What parts did you use to build your CMP P-51 140? (Build thread)

Not bad. I see what you mean by the seat. It's a work in progress. I've had the same problem here too, more work and no time to do anything i want. I had the tail wheel installed, but removed it to try a better installation, but thats where i stopped. I still need to hinge the flaps and recover the wing. Anyway Good luck in finding time off.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Oosiksmith
My Feedback: (1)

Chris,

Post some pictures of your plane here.

Tim
Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 PM
chris j

I'll try. I've got a new computer with Windows Vista but the camera's cd is only supported by Windows XP. I've been trying to down load the drivers from "HP"'s website so Vista could down load my pictures and e-mail them or print. I tried last night for three hours to down load those stupid drivers with no luck. I may have to contact Hewlitt packard for the up dates on cd. Just as soon as i can get this thing to work you'll see some pictures. hopefully soon.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:02 PM
chris j

One things for sure it won't be as good looking as your's.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Oosiksmith

I did some work on the seat. On top of the FM I painted one coat of chromate yellow then one coat of chromate green. A little sanding and the yellow and metal show through nicely. However, it still looked too "new" so I ground up some black and brown/red chalk and rubbed it on to give it a grimy, dirty look. A faint footprint in the middle of the seat tops it off. I'll have to clear it flat to keep the chalk from running I think, but the seat is done. I still haven't figured out how I'll do the seat harness yet. Now the rest of the cockpit pieces need to be weathered/worn to match.

I taped my cockpit in to get an idea of how it would look and posted pics at this link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_62...tm.htm#6233168
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59968.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	743967  
Old 09-14-2007, 12:41 AM
IndP51

Oosiksmith would you like please to add some photos from your air system installation cause i m having a bit problem where m i going to install them
Old 10-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Merlin Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Oosiksmith,

Just wondering how this build is going.?

I was watching this thread with great interest as I am planning to get one of these kits. I have built the Platt P51 but now would like a hanger mate for my KMP spitfire. The 72" span models are , for me, easier to manage and good scale shapes look great in the air. Plus , I am growing to like the simplier models for everyday flying !

I think the model has a lot of potential being very close to scale with refinishing and a more scale u/c being the only major areas of concern. ( sounds easy when you say it quickly ! )

So, have you made any progress recently that you could report on ? Do you think the OS. 120 AX 2 stroke would be good for this plane ? I have one in my Spitfire and , apart from some recent tuning difficulties, which have been rectified, have been very happy with power and suitability.

Cheers,

Merlin Man.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:45 AM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

I too like you Merlin Man have been watching this thread with alot of interest. I'm just now getting started on mine. Plan to use a Saito 125 for power and am leaning towards mechanical retracts by Robart. If I get real ambitious I might go with the "real" aluminum skin complete with rivets etc. Just gathering ideas and checking prices. Joe
Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Oosiksmith

Sorry I missed the last few posts. Since school started for my kids I've kind of been involved in other things. I warned ya that this would be a slow project!

Anyway, first of all, I was planning on either putting the air tanks (I'm using two) in the wing or just under the servo rack in the forward fuselage. If I put them in the fuselage I'll probably have to make the instrument console removable so I can work on the tanks if I need to. Jury is still out on that.

As for the engine, I'm no expert since this will be my first plane of this size. I'm going to use the advice from the first page of this thread. There were a couple of posts where the guys said a 1.20 would be fine for this plane, but it wouldn't be super fast. Most in this post, and other posts I've read, agreed a 1.20 is as small as you'd want to go. The plane was designed around a 1.40, so thats what I've been looking at. If you keep it light the 1.20 should do the job. I'm doing the mods to this plane as sort of a learning process. They do add weight so that is why I want to use the bigger engine. I have some 1.20s lying around and briefly considered using one of them, but, with the mods, I don't think they'll do the trick. If you keep the plane light and go with the stock retract recommendations (those retracts are inexpensive too) you can probably get away with the 1.20.

If you plan on using CJ or Robart or SpringAir retracts be prepared to cut into the wing big time. As most people seem to be replacing the wing covering anyway, that isn't as big of a problem. You'll have to color-match the paint for the new wing covering though if you want to keep the stock scheme. One nice thing about this plane is there are a lot of stars and bars decals already out there that could go right on. After you refinish the plane paint it in any of the myriad P-51 schemes out there.

I'll get a picture of my tanks to post.

Tim
Old 10-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Oosiksmith

This is probably where the tanks will end up, behind a removable instrument cluster.

Name:	Pn35226.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	777345  
Old 10-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Oosiksmith

JL636,

Good luck with your build. Please post any pictures you take on this build thread. I too plan on using FliteMetal. Its the first time I've used it. I corresponded a bit with a guy in France who covered his CMP P-51 with aluminum and it looks great (he made a few wing mods too). Actually, he is using the same scheme I will be using. Its from the real P-51 called "Geraldine." This might motivate you...here is a pic of his plane:

Name:	If10943.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	777357  
Old 10-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Oosiksmith

I've been tinkering with different ways to keep the rudder controls all internal to the empennage. I've built a few mock ups and had varying degrees of success. I came across the following pictures in the TF 1/7 P-51 build thread in the "kits" section and thought it looked pretty good. I built a mock-up and everything seemed to work fine. Instead of keeping the rudder/tailwheel steering servo under the tail I might move it to the front of the plane and install a lever in the tail instead.

Name:	Sp45129.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	777387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64575.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	777388  
Old 10-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Oosiksmith

Here is the rudder linkage I built. It worked fine in a mock-up. I'll cut out holes in the rear of the vertical fin near the bottom for the control arms now. I made a small bracket to hold the control arms inside the ruddder firmly. The picture doesn't show it, but there will be a top piece to hold it all together firmly.

Name:	Bz79482.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	777501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45518.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	777502  
Old 10-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Oosiksmith

Here is the rudder installed. The linkage is barely noticable and moves without binding at all.

Name:	Sp45313.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	777503  
Old 10-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Merlin Man

Hi,

Great to see that you are still moving ahead with the 51.

I like your rudder setup and yes, I too have seen the nice metal cote work of our friend, Benoit ( sp? ) in France.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Merlin Man.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Oosiksmith

Back on page three of this thread I posted a pic of a servo installed in the tail area ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_55..._3/key_/tm.htm ) to control the rudder and tailwheel. With the retractable tailwheel, I've gotten a little concerned with too much weight in the back, so I moved the servo forward. The servo will be under the "radio" area behind the pilot's seat and I've installed a tiller in the back instead. The servo which controls the radiator exhaust scoop will also be behind the seat. I'll make a servo tray for this area which will be accessible from the bottom of the plane.

The reason I used threaded control arms is I plan on hooking up the tailwheel stearing to the same posts.

Name:	Qn38334.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	778866  
Old 10-09-2007, 04:59 AM
H8Basher

I have just bought a used YS 160DZ, and am thinking of getting hold of a CMP mustang to put it in.

Does any one have a pic with a YS 140 or 160 installed? I'm wondering how much the engine will protrude through the cowl.....
Old 05-29-2008, 09:40 AM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just reviving this thread, a lot of good information this build, for scaling up this ARF!

Did the author of this thread ever finish!
Old 05-29-2008, 01:59 PM
KentuckyColonel

Great start of a build log, but what happened? Is she done? Does she fly? Is she still being worked on?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Oosiksmith

Wasn't sure if there was still interest in this build. I had put this plane on the back burner for the spring and just pulled it out again two days ago. I got a little discouraged when I ordered some parts and then my LHS went out of business (no $ had changed hands yet though).

Since Tuesday I've hooked up a bell crank to the radiator scoop so it's movable, added a servo tray behind the cockpit seat under the mock radio area where the fuselage tank would be on the real plane, then I cut out an access panel in the rear cockpit to get to those servos. After I install the mock radio all I'll have to do is remove it with one screw, then open the panel to get to the servos.

I originally was thinking about installing a YS 140, but have been looking into E-power; not sure yet. With renewed interest in this thread I think I'll do a little more work. If anyone else is building this plane please post pictures so we can see how your builds are going.

Tim

Name:	Ca81472.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	959680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98584.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	959681  
Old 05-29-2008, 05:11 PM
KentuckyColonel

E-POWER?!?!?!? For God's sake NOOOOoooooooooooo!
The following users liked this post:
am_egh (04-29-2021)
Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM
mimoore67

O-Guy! Sorry for messing your name up, but I can't remember how to spell it!!!!

Okay, good to know the plane is still a work in progress! I think I'm ordering another one! Yes another one! I got discouraged, when I thought that it was going to take a lot of work to modify the retract area to make it more scale. But after re-reading this thread and saw that it's really didn't look that bad, I think I'll give it another shot. I was going buy either new TF- Mustang 60 ARF or the New Sig Mustang B model. Again, this CMP Mustang seems to have better scale outlines than any of the other ARF on the Market!

Now, I'm going to talk to www.lado-tech.com to see if their retracts would be appropriate for this arf! If not, I'll probably go with some Sierra or Century Jets!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:22 PM
TeamMuir1
My Feedback: (-1)

I have read this Thread and I am really motivated... I too have one of these P-51's
I have flown mine already... I have several things that I have done differantly too.
I am really looking forward in seeing how the FLIGHT METAL is turning out.
PLEASE keep the PICS coming... I have really enjoyed this THREAD.
DONT LET IT DIE.... lol
Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM
mimoore67

We'll I'm officially now part of this build thread. I just ordered my from www.ak-model.com I ordered my last one from them, but as mentioned above, sold it when I became discouraged! Now, after much research, seem to find this model atleast as far as the fuselage the most accurate and appealing ARF on the market.

I will be "hopefully" doing the same this as Oosiksmith, using a 1.20 O.S. 4 cycle pumper!

Michael
Old 06-10-2008, 01:51 PM
mimoore67

Oosiksmith

In your P.M. you stated that you had a few inches between the inner gear doors at the center of the wing. Is this due to gear leg length, or does the the entire gear mount need to be move toward the center of the wing!

Also, I see that we could mount a micro-servo in the back of the gear well, to actuate the inner gear doors, have come up with a plan tackle this detail?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.