Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
 Striking Back airshow... >

Striking Back airshow...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Striking Back airshow...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:51 PM
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Striking Back airshow...

checkout rcwarbirds.com
Old 02-27-2011, 04:31 AM
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: trucker17

Any one with clips from the show, with the B-25s making their runs. I bought one of the Mitchells from the show. want to restore it to the condition it was in then. but not sure of the colors for it. Paint is cracked and fuse has some cracks in it.
I have other B-25s that i built from scratch.
This bird i could not pass up when i seen it, It was sitting on a table in the back of byron originals factory.
I paid 400.00 for it as is. and now ready to start the referb on it.
Wow, great deal!!!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why dont they have that airshow every year.. 1988 was the only one?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 AM
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it came down to money , liability, sponsorship as I remember. It also stopped being a pilots event which was my main draw.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:42 PM

Thanks all for the help....Found a copy of the air show...should have it in a few weeks....Will try and post some picts of the aircraft when restore is complete....
Old 04-26-2011, 04:30 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this:

http://iowaaviationheritagemuseum.we...otoid=61791086

Saul
Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 AM

<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; background-color: white; ">I want to post answers to some of the questions about this amazing show. First let me say that I literally grew up with this show. I was born and raised in Ida Grove Iowa and my father worked for Byron Originals until just a couple months ago. My father even did ground control for the full sized air craft at the airport in town.</span><p class="MsoNormal"><o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; background-color: white; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">When they sold off the show most of the props did get sold off to but the RC flight line and hills/backdrop that the battles took place by still exist in their original location. They are run down but they do still exist. If you Google Map search &ldquo;Ida Grove Municipal Airport&rdquo; and look just north of the airport you can see that it is still there. <o></o></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; background-color: white; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">The Show was sold to Ankeny Iowa and the person whose job it was to coordinate and run the airshow actually went with the show (Last name Shoemaker, I can&rsquo;t remember his first name even though I can remember his kids&hellip; LOL). The first year in the new location the show was a bust because it rained the entire time and they were not prepared for that. In my opinion it should have been cancelled. Since then it slowly died off and was even sold once more before the show finally ended. <o></o></span></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; background-color: white; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">The only thing related to the RC show that I know to still be in business is the RC fuel production plant that is run by Byrons Grandson Ryan Godberson.</span><o></o></p>
Old 09-17-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There are some nice objects left over at the Ankeny Airport.. down near the south end of the public area of the airport is the museum, Its actually a hangar with some full scale restoration going on in the back, and some of the Byron goodies up front. I am not sure they have a set schedule, but you might try stopping there if you are driving by.

There is no entry fee, but they do take donations, its an interesting mix of Aviation squeezed TIGHTLY into a hangar...

i think the have the B29, b17, the 1/4 scale sherman tanks (all steel) , and some of the smaller steel ships and train stuff...