Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Clear coat for latex paints and glow motors

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Clear coat for latex paints and glow motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:39 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Clear coat for latex paints and glow motors

holy smoke Hepdog the pink stuff is our deep winter I'm going snowboarding fluid,so I dont get ice on my windshield going to Tahoe, I think our blue is just alcohol,soap,and water probably why its 1.99
Old 04-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hepdog

You can easily skip reducing any water based paint with windsheild washer fluid by using methyl hydrate (alcohol). Doesn't effect the latex one bit - same price as washer fluid and doesn't change the color at all. Windsheild washer fluid may dry with no ill effect, but it does change the colour in the spray gun, which can make matching more problematic than it needs to be.

I did a test sample of latex and WBPU and 10% nitro. Room temp dry for latex was 2 days. Room temp dry for WBPU was 1 week. Hot nitro not an issue. Small left over exhaust splatter drops not an issue. Fuel exhaust soaked surface left alone - eventually ruins the finish (clean up at end of day should be fine).

Strongly suggest experimenting yourself with any particular product(s) - very easy to do and cheaper than a new paint job. A good reason to save crashed airplanes - they make good test beds for this kind of stuff.

My 2C.
How much alcohol do you normally put in your paint? I assume you use water as your thinner and just add a small amount of alcohol? Ticketec, not trying to hijac your thread I am just in the process of learning to glass and paint and have lots of questions!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:48 PM
warbirdrc

are you guy using latex paint and clear coat with glow fuel
will no damage the paint?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Craig-RCU

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Well, after much searching around, I found a WBPU.

Cabot crystal clear. It comes in Gloss and satin, any ideas how i can matt it out a little more than satin it comes in???

Thanks

Add some corn starch to the satin finish to flatten it more. You'll have to experiment with the mix ratios for your given WBPU and application method.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:52 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Warbird-rc,

That's the plan!!! Plenty of people have been moving towards water based paints for their models because it's so safer to use and cheaper. If your using Gas engines, then my understanding i that there is no need for a clear coat, but for glow engines, you gotta clear!

Hey Craig-RCU

Corn-starch? sound interesting!! i'll have to do a test piece to see how it works out. Thanks for that one

How do people find these things out???? It's like, how did they find out that if you prepare that poisonous fish the japanese eat a certain way, it's normally safe??? well, more like, how many people died to learn that one?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2007, 10:53 PM
bigtim

I learned about using latex products from the Tom Pierce SBD Dauntless thread on www.RCWarbirds.com he did a bunch of performance tests with weight comparisons and stuff and since I was used to using the products it seamed like a logical choice being less toxic and easer to clean up.
I also read about using WB poly for clear coat someplace here at RCU so I used my favorite floor finish for glassing as well as for the clear coat.
as for adding alcohol you can use it strait full strength for spraying it evaporates fast like laquer thinner but it can "burn" the finish,dulling the sheen, with glossy paints I use about 15% water and 5% alcohol when spraying latex for house painting I would think a 50/50 mix fo alcohol and water would be fine also.
I would add for my planes I have had good results with automobile window washer fluid, the blue colored type, normal temp stuff.
there is also paint conditioners such as floetrol its a additive that will slow the dry time down for a smoother finish but generally you want a faster set not slower for models, its best to find the mix that works for your set up just keep track of your mixes and the amount of thinner to paint ratios you use untill you find a satisfactory mix for your uses.
there's alot of factors like the pressure your gun or brush operates at and getting good flow at a smooth rate, and not a splattery spitting mess that you can't control.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Craig-RCU

ORIGINAL: ticketec
Hey Craig-RCU

Corn-starch? sound interesting!! i'll have to do a test piece to see how it works out. Thanks for that one

How do people find these things out???? It's like, how did they find out that if you prepare that poisonous fish the japanese eat a certain way, it's normally safe??? well, more like, how many people died to learn that one?

Thanks
I make no claims that adding corn starch to WBPU will make the mixture edible!!!

Another option is "Tamiya Acrylic X21 Flat Base." It is an additive to make acrylic paints flat. It is a very effective flattening agent and a little goes a long way. I haven't tried compatibility with any WBPU brands, but it is an acrylic based product. If you let it settle and just use the solids at the bottom of the bottle that might mitigate any incompatability issues if any are observed in testing.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:28 PM
camdyson

I'm about to clearcoat my 1/4 Eindecker - covered in Solartex and markings/weathering are a combination of auto acrylic and humbrol enamels. It's on petrol, clearcoat is just to keep the Solartex cleaner.

I WAS going to spray on polyurethane from cans, but $$$$!!!!! (BIG wing area on this thing) so would like to brush on water-based polyurethane - satin - from cans (as in 4l). Anyone see a problem with this?

Brushed-on will suit the WWI finish I'm after too.

Cheers,

Cam
Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 PM
bigtim

hey cam just make sure you stir the WB poly before you start brushing, the satining agents tend to settle on the bottom of the can, and if you shake the stuff it will bubble up and can affect your final finish results.
also don't over brush the stuff it drys so fast that as long as you get it on the surface it should smooth its self out when you brush it too much it tends to "rope" makes lines in the surface that will show up,its best to do a couple of fast thin coats,letting each dry, rather than one thick layer.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:37 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Tips on using Nelson's flat clear. Thin it nearly 50% with water for your air brush.. I sometimes brush it on first using a foam brush thinned so that it flows well. I go over that with an air brush. It levels the clear and makes it look a lil flatter. The more water added to the clear the flatter it looks. Ive never managed to get it dead flat.. so I can't speak to that.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:26 PM
camdyson

Thanks bigtim,

Just went and bought a 500ml tin of Satin water based poly, so I'll see how it goes. At $25 Aus I hope it's enough!

Cheers,

Cam

ORIGINAL: bigtim

hey cam just make sure you stir the WB poly before you start brushing, the satining agents tend to settle on the bottom of the can, and if you shake the stuff it will bubble up and can affect your final finish results.
also don't over brush the stuff it drys so fast that as long as you get it on the surface it should smooth its self out when you brush it too much it tends to "rope" makes lines in the surface that will show up,its best to do a couple of fast thin coats,letting each dry, rather than one thick layer.