Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Best engine for TF sea fury

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Best engine for TF sea fury

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 04:09 PM
rlink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best engine for TF sea fury

Ive just perchased this kit and in the instuctions it states that this plane should not be over powered. they highly recommend using a .91 four stroke. I was planing to use a .120 four stroke. can some tell me which engine would be the best choice. this is my first scale war bird. but ive built and flown four different types of advance aerobats. would appreciate any advice or help.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:11 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect like most WWII warbirds the Sea Fury will build a little tail heavy. If that is the case, it makes a bunch more sense to put a bigger/heavier engine up front. Much bette IMO to have more pony's up front than a pound or two of lead counter balance. that is just going along for the ride. I do not think the 120 four stroke would be too much engine, after all it is going to have a throttle, isn't it?

Vince
Old 02-21-2002, 04:57 PM
Fastsky

Default Engine size

Vince is right. I had to add about a pound of lead in the cowl of my DC Sea Fury. I was flying it with an FX61 engiine and its certainly not over powered. I just bought a Tiger Shark 75 for it.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:33 PM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

Default Sea Fury Power

I plan on using a YS 120 in mine. I put a 120 in all my 60 size warbirds - always makes them perform like the full scale bird. Anything less is too wimpy for my tastes. They handle the weight and power just fine. The throttle can always be pulled back, but if you have a smaller engine and the throttle pushed all the way forward, but need more power - there just ain't no more. No problem with a big 4 banger like the 120 - the ONLY way to fly.

Just my $.02 worth.

Regards, Les Morrow
Old 02-21-2002, 09:47 PM
Cdallas2

That Saito .90 radial sure looks like it would fit in there quite nicely and don't forget that most warbirds can't hover or do torque rolls.
Old 03-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Patrick Underwo

Default TT 120 for Sea Fury

I live in Colorado Springs (~6500 ft) and decided to get a TT 1.20 2s for my TF Sea Fury. The extra weight of the engine means no useless noseweight, and I have extra power for the altitude. (Small general-aviation planes sometimes can't get out of ground effect during the summer here!!)

I found what looks like a good in-cowl muffler specific to this engine at jtecrc dot com.

Haven't built it yet, so that's all I can say!

Patrick

[OOPS! Had to edit this. You would need to build REALLY light to use a .120 on this plane!]
Old 03-05-2002, 03:38 AM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm putting a RCV .90 in mine. Fits completely in the cowl and will turn a 16/14 prop. Don
Old 03-05-2002, 04:11 PM
Cdallas2

I think that RCV would be perfect, especially if you could find a big 5 blade prop for it.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:45 PM
Patrick Underwo

Default Sea Fury Spinner

Bob Holman sells a 4 1/16" spinner (for the Brian Taylor 81" Mossie) that looks like it would be a good fit for this plane. Certainly looks more accurate than most sport spinners, which are proportionally too long.

Patrick
Old 03-05-2002, 06:34 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Patrick,
Is that you (from Texas)? Hows that Sea Fury coming along?
Edwin
Old 03-06-2002, 01:04 AM
Patrick Underwo

Hey, Edwin! Yes, it's me... I haven't started on the Sea Fury yet. I estimate another $600 to completion! Which may take a few months. I'm going to use Robart retracts, and their retractable tailwheel #122. It's supposed to be too small for the plane but it's the only one that looks like it'll retract backwards like the real thing.

My hand is completely recovered from last year's prop story, except for a funny-looking index fingernail.

I'm still working on the Zenith pattern plane. Should have it done in a short while. (I know... I've said that for about a year now.)

Email me and let me know how things are going.

Patrick