Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Need Builder for Ziroli F6F and P-38

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Need Builder for Ziroli F6F and P-38

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:35 PM
bdreed
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Builder for Ziroli F6F and P-38

Hello -

I'm a flier and not a builder. I'm looking for a custom builder to build a Ziroli F6F and Ziroli P-38. I would like the finished planes to be able to enter and win scale competitions. I'm not currently planning to enter any events, but would like to have the final product look great. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 06-20-2007, 09:50 AM
scalebirdman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need Builder for Ziroli F6F and P-38

Brian,

You will be limited as to what you can enter if you are not the builder of the model. Scalemasters requires you to be the builder of the model to fly in expert. You could compete in team scale, however the builder would have to attend the competition as well. Otherwise you are going to a lot of time and expense to compete in fun scale.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:32 PM
bdreed
My Feedback: (-1)

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a great desire to enter competitions, I just want an airplane that is well built, looks great, and flies great. Team scale might be a fun option sometime if the builder is available. I've got everything to complete projects. I just need someone who is capable of building nice stuff.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:58 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

To be quite honest, the type of build you are looking for will be "very" expensive, simply due to the cost of quality. However, if you find some builders that are willing to take on the job, get references. These threads are full of guys trying to find the "builder" who has their kit, accessories, and often a good bit of there monies, but has gone underground, or is "months" behind the deadline.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Live Wire

bdreed
I am in the process of building the P 38 on the scratch forum. and you are looking at a long build and deep pockets. I build these planes for other people and know what is involved and the fun for me is the building.
Watch the P 38 build on the Scratch forum when I get the rest of the parts and get off the honey dues I will be back to building
Larry K
Old 06-20-2007, 07:53 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bdreed,

What are you willing to pay per hour for building? On all my builds I keep a daily diary of the date, the day number, and hours spent on the build. I have never built for anyone else but might consider it. How soon are you looking to have these planes built. For a perfect scale plane of any size like 1/4 scale it takes me between 2 to 3 years. Quality and scale modifications take time. I'm on day 140 on my TF F4U-1D Corsair and am not even finished with the wing. I put lights in them and every little detail that the real plane has. I buy several reseach books to go by so it is perfect when done. You are looking at a ton of money for a real good scale builder to build your planes. I think you should stick to ARF's or learn to build. Unless you have money to burn you are going to never be able to have one let alone two built.

Take it for what it's worth,

Gibbs
Old 06-20-2007, 09:07 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

I sent you a PM. How quick are you looking to get one finished. I can't commit to building both at this time. I would love to build one for you. As far as qualifications, I can supply you with references if needed. We would discuss a price after some details are worked out. ie...'glass and wood, all wood, sliding cockpit, full doors, etc etc...
My phone number is in the PM, and I on EST in Virginia.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:26 AM
John_RedSox
My Feedback: (75)

JeffH,

I'm looking for a builder for a winter project. Most likely a Composite Warbird (Mustang or P47). I would get the plane and all the equipment to you sometime in November/December. Please let me know if you're interested.

Many thanks!

John
Old 06-21-2007, 08:21 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

John Redsox,

Sure thing. A winter project would be great, especially a full composite build. The earlier in the fall the better. I will PM you my number as well so we can talk.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 06-21-2007, 08:45 AM
John_RedSox

Sounds like a plan...Thx!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:58 AM
John_RedSox

Sent you a PM...
Old 06-21-2007, 10:48 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have found it is easier to build what you want to see fly then sell them. I was letting people pay as the need arose. IE Start the kit then add the accessories as there needed. What a pain that turned into. Admittedly though i only built 3 for others than gave up on the idea of financing my hobby that way.
If i ever did it again for someone else the cost would be exactly double the cost of putting one together your self as the price to have it built would be everything to build a complete identical second plane for my effort and time. I'm able to spend 4 to 5 hours a day in the shop and usually do. No everyone is willing to pay hard cash for that kinda time as they don't realize just how long it actually takes to build one. Now im no great scale builder but i do build a nice flying/looking plane and i could not imagine what it would actually cost to have someone build a scaled out plane that has a chance at top gun. Your talking LOTSA!!time and LOTSA!! hard cash for that kinda effort so be prepared.
Don't turn your money over to anyone with 3 posts and check there market feed back. That will give you some idea of the person your dealing with. A little flexibility in the time frame is understandable but months late is intolerable. Make it a must to have pics sent to you of the build so you can see there is actually progress being done and one last thing. Have shipping plans understood before you ever begin.
Pat
Old 07-01-2007, 07:17 AM
bombcat_79
My Feedback: (44)

Just discovered this site, check it out. Nice looking birds. www.aircraftsmiths.com

Bombcat
Old 07-01-2007, 08:57 PM
wildcat ace
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BDReed

Give Dave Gauer a call in Blufton, South Carolina
He can build at any level, charges by the hour and wont rip you off
He has built a couple for me. He can build just as good as anything you will see at TGun
He charged me about 1500 to frame ,glass and install all gear, ready to paint
Make sure you put the engine you want, I think he underpowers sometimes
It takes 50cc of power to fly a 25 pounder well