Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Nose art on both sides???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Nose art on both sides???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 02:20 PM
hhilandscaper
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nose art on both sides???

This might be a silly question, but do most warbirds have the nose art on both sides? I have been all over the internet and the Squadron books and all I see are pictures of the LEFT side of the planes. Some of the books will show a right side or an angle of the right and no nose art. Is this typical? I am mainly interested in the "Pengie II" a P-47D razorback flown by Maj. 'Mike' Gladych (61st FS, 56th FG, 8th AF). Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 03-11-2003, 02:24 PM
hhilandscaper

Here's a picture of the LEFT side of the "Pengie II"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	62091_25781.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	38192  
Old 03-12-2003, 04:01 AM
gary9648

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will find that the nose art was only on the left side. A lot of the aircraft with nose art at the Air Force Museum has the nose art only on the left side. I am not sure why they only put it on one side. There is a good question. I will be at the museum on Friday, and I will ask to see if anyone knows.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:38 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Gary,
Nose art was primarily put on the left side, but there are plenty of examples of it being on both sides, or different art put on the left and right side. The main reason it was on one side was the cost. The artists who painted it didn't do it for free, especially the bombers. The crew all chipped in for the art. The other reason was the amount of time it took to paint it, doing both sides would obviously double the time. If you look at fighter nose art, most of it is on removable panels, in the case of the P-47 on the side cowl panel. This way the panel could be removed from the plane and the artist could paint it at a remote location, and do several at a time. Also, remember there was a war on and having planes and artists available for nose art painting was WAY down on the priority list. As everyone who has flown in the military knows, the mission always comes first.
As to the left side, that's traditionally the side the pilot/crew boards the aircraft, so everyone would be "looking" at that side.
Regards,
Jon
Old 03-12-2003, 04:44 PM
gary9648

I figured that was why, but I did not know for sure, and did not want to give erroneous information.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:28 PM
heavy date-RCU

Mission!!!! I can't fly this mission, my nose art ain't dry yet!
Old 03-12-2003, 07:19 PM
hhilandscaper

Thanks for the info fellas.

Gary, if you could be nosey at that museum on Friday and post a reply on your findings I'd appreciate it.

Mike
Old 03-15-2003, 04:21 AM
gary9648

Well, After talking to both a B-17 pilot with 35 missions into Germany, and a local expert in the research staff, both confirm that about 80% of the art was only put on the left side for the reasons given by Jon.
I was told that every outfit had two or three ground crew who could paint. They normally found out about them when they painted theit own aircraft. Then they bartered for cigarettes, beer, etc. Time was also a factor. This is why they only put it on one side, and as Jon said this is the side the pilot climed in the aircraft, so this is the side they put it on. The ones painted on both sides could have been the artists own plane. Also the artists did not want to expend so much time on a project that could be shot down the next mission. War is hell. I hope this answers your question for you
Old 03-17-2003, 01:06 PM
hhilandscaper

Gary
and Jon,

Thanks for the follow up. That's great info that make a lot of sense which I never really thought of. Plus it's great to get it first hand from someone there.

Mike