Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Warbirds over the Rockies

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Warbirds over the Rockies

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:07 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Warbirds over the Rockies

Anyone planning on attending the Warbirds over the Rockies event Sept. 21-23? My local club Love-air RC is hosting and I was interested in possible turnout.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:19 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Warbirds over the Rockies

Uh yup. So far there are over 35 registered pilots for the event. I am a member of the same club you are. I also know of at least 4 others coming.
What plane(s) will be you bringing?
Myself, I will have a KMP ME-109, H9 Corsair, Kyosho ME-109 and/or a host of other stuff such as FSK B-25, Ducted fan ME-262, etc.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:24 AM
vertical grimmace

I will have a BUSA Fokker DR1 and a BUSA Fokker DVII. I think you saw the DVII a couple of weeks ago. You were waiting to see it fly but I had a little mixture issue. I did end up flying her twice that day and everything is working great.
I am really interested in seeing the KMP 109. I just love the German planes. Also I hope to see more WW1 aircraft than we had at the big bird. It would be nice to get a WW1 only flight in with sevral aircraft at once.

Rich
Old 09-10-2007, 10:49 AM
fytrjok
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nope!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 AM
G-Pete

My buddy Terry and I coming up from Texas to this event.

We are looking forward to this weekend for a while now. Jerry will pilot a Me/Bf 109 and I have a P-47 both are 1/6scale.

The Me/Bf109 is done, on the P-47 are little things left to do.

Well then…c-y’all there!

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete
Old 09-10-2007, 11:59 AM
G-Pete

....for all who like to know more about it

click [link=http://www.warbirdsovertherockies.com/]here WARBIRS OVER THE ROCKIES[/link]
Old 09-10-2007, 02:28 PM
jbarnes

A bunch of us from the Longmont club will be there. A couple of twins, P47's, Mustang and who knows what else someone drags out. The only problem with most of these guys is that they don't like flying in crowds. Tried to get them to fly at the Big Bird but they were too nervous. And they are much better pilots than me! See ya there, Jerry.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:50 PM
NCIS

Howdy,

I was wondering what type of camping facilities were nearby or cheap motel/hotel rooms. I am starting to build a 1/4 scale ten foot wingspan F4U-1D Corsair off of Don Smith's plans and it won't make it for at least the next 2 years. After that I will be bringing it along and maybe a 1/3rd scale BUSA WWI Sopwith Pup. I haven't ever been to a Warbird event but do have last years DVD and it looks like a blast out there. I would love to come this year just to watch and shoot videos. I am a long ways from CO. but I would be driving my big GMC van that can double as a camper. It's a cargo van so there is ten feet from the back of the seats to the rear doors. It also has side doors for convenience. I'll just make myself a bed with a double matress and it already has a refridgerator for my brew. I just need to come up with a bathroom and I should be all set. If there is a campground near I would like to know if they have bathroom facilities with a shower. If anyone of you know please let me know. Maybe I'll see ya there. If someone has a map of how to get there from the east please post it.

Thanks,

Gibbs
Old 09-10-2007, 03:32 PM
kahloq

As far as camp facility....there is a camp ground actually almost right next to the Fort Collins Modelleers field in Wellington. However, from the Warbirds over the Rockies area, thats about 30 miles away. The actual field site for the event has porta potties, but no shower. For cheap motels, well, theres a lot of places in Ft Collins and its only 15 miles away. Super 8 is right there along the interstate at the I-25 and C-14 intersection as well as a Ramada and a Days Inn.
here is map:
http://www.warbirdsovertherockies.com/map.htm

From WI, I assume you'd be coming on I-80 as trying to use I-90 would be too far north once you got over this way. So, if you can, use I-80 from WI to WY. At Cheyenne, go south on I-25 to Fort Collins. Go east on C-14 about 9 miles and the event location will be on the right side almost across the hwy from a landfill. This is the fastest route for you without much in the way of getting lost.
You could also get off I-80 just after Big Springs, NE and take I-76 west towards Sterling, CO. Then, you'd get off at Sterling and head west on C-14 for a good hour and 15 minutes on a 65MPH single lane hwy and go past Ault, CO for about another 8 miles to the event site and this time, it would be on your left. This may seem shorter, but, its not as theres a lot of farm traffic on C-14 between Sterling and Ault and its not the best road.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:33 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

My buddy Terry and I coming up from Texas to this event.

We are looking forward to this weekend for a while now. Jerry will pilot a Me/Bf 109 and I have a P-47 both are 1/6scale.

The Me/Bf109 is done, on the P-47 are little things left to do.

Well then…c-y’all there!

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete
Kit built ME-109 or what brand if not scratch built? Your not bringing that shiny P-51? or do you no longer have it?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:59 PM
NCIS

kahloq,

Can I park my van and sleep right there at the site? I drove Semi for a couple years to see if I liked it[:-]. I've been to CO. a few times and I lived in Westminster a suburb of Denver between it and Boulder for a year. I will go I-80 as I expected and avoid the seemingly shorter route and avoid farm equipment. 90 is way to far north and I can pick up I-80 west of Chicago. Janesville WI. is almost on the IL. WI. line. I hate getting behind one of those huge tractors and can't pass because of 2 lanes. I sure appreciate the directions and map. Maybe I'll buy a solar shower and just wear a bathing suit or hang a circular shower curtain. I don't want to have to drive that far to get there. I found a personal porta potty with a small holding tank that will fit in my van and it's cheap. I can't handle the smell of the porta potties out in the sun. I can keep my van cool or warm depending on the weather. Well as I said before maybe I'll see ya there. I drive a Big Burgandy GMC cargo van. Can't miss it, Cheese head lic plates.

Thanks again,

Barry/Gibbs
Old 09-10-2007, 04:21 PM
vertical grimmace

There is camping available at the flying site but It will be first come first serve. No hookups and no facilities other than the porta-johns. Great to see all of the interest. These big scale events are really fun. I actually do not think many of the club members realize how big this thing will be. I attended the first one 4 years ago and there were over 200 registered planes! With our new longer runway and expanded pit area and pilot stations it will be great to share our great flying field with everyone from around the country.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:05 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: NCIS

kahloq,

Can I park my van and sleep right there at the site? I drove Semi for a couple years to see if I liked it[:-]. I've been to CO. a few times and I lived in Westminster a suburb of Denver between it and Boulder for a year. I will go I-80 as I expected and avoid the seemingly shorter route and avoid farm equipment. 90 is way to far north and I can pick up I-80 west of Chicago. Janesville WI. is almost on the IL. WI. line. I hate getting behind one of those huge tractors and can't pass because of 2 lanes. I sure appreciate the directions and map. Maybe I'll buy a solar shower and just wear a bathing suit or hang a circular shower curtain. I don't want to have to drive that far to get there. I found a personal porta potty with a small holding tank that will fit in my van and it's cheap. I can't handle the smell of the porta potties out in the sun. I can keep my van cool or warm depending on the weather. Well as I said before maybe I'll see ya there. I drive a Big Burgandy GMC cargo van. Can't miss it, Cheese head lic plates.

Thanks again,

Barry/Gibbs
Yes you can park there overnight. There is plenty of spectator parking. First come, first serve pretty much is mute relative to the spectator parking area as there is a lot of it. As far as the pit area where registered pilots can park there vehicles, yes, that is limited.

Not sure how many others might show up with same vehicle(few if any), but I will have a Hummer H2, grey with Veterans plates with a license plate holder on the back that says, "Jeeps Beware! I crush you!" I am planning on having it parked in the registered pilot area and will have a 10x10 blue Denver Broncos canopy for where I'll have planes set up and some folding seats. I should be there Sat. and Sun., but not Friday. At the Big Bird Festival, there were plenty of white and blue canopies, but NO football or even team adorned canopies at all. I might be the only one, but, I am not counting on it. I'd prefer to have a Chicago Bears one, but they dont sell those out here obviously. Got it at Wal-Mart for $109 instead of paying $199 through NFL.com(which, I could have gotten a Bears one there, but not paying the extra $90 plus shipping....since my wife is the Broncos fan...its all good anyhow.)
Old 09-10-2007, 06:41 PM
NCIS

kahoq,

I'll be looking for you and really can't wait to see the planes. Thanks for the info. Now that I can live in the van I can afford to come. I'll probably get there Thursday night and stay until Monday. I am semi retired and self employed so the time doesn't matter. How many mile is it from Chicago to there? Promise last question, just want to get a travel time estimate. I used to drive straight through when I was a truck driver and that was from near Green Bay. How about those Packers? Did they squeeze that one out or what. 7 seconds to go and they score. Probably the only win this year![&o] Hope not.

Gibbs
Old 09-10-2007, 07:50 PM
kahloq

Without your exact address, its hard to tell for time to travel. I used mapqwest.com to estimate the travel time from Chicago to Ft. Collins and it gave me 14 hours and a distance of 1000 miles.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ncis
If you come down I 76 and get to Sterling we are only an hour from Ault Drake Field is 4 miles west. Plenty of places to stay hear and still have time to get there high way 14 west

Well did I I will get it right
Old 09-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ncis
If you come through here early ask at the turrist center on 76 and they will get you to some one here at SMAA our local club.
And I am retarded too And we always have room for one more
Old 09-10-2007, 11:21 PM
kahloq

Live Wire....its alot easier to go I-80 to I-25 down to C-14 due to 75MPH and no farm equipment compared to I-76 to Sterling, then C-14(65MPH) to Ault and then 6 miles beyond. I know as I travel both ways every week in a semi. It may be faster to go I-76/C-14 if you know the area, but C-14 is not a good road either. However, it may shave off about 45 mins if one can deal with crappy two lane traffic. Mapquest recommended going I-80 to I-25
Sterling is also not visitor friendly regarding going from I-76 to C-14. Its not a direct exit. You get off at the Sterling exit, go west into town, turn left after the railroad tracks, turn right 3 blocks down, then follow the main street west out of town. The street signs in Sterling suck.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:59 PM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: kahloq
Kit built ME-109 or what brand if not scratch built? Your not bringing that shiny P-51? or do you no longer have it?

Hi kahlog,

the 109 is a KMP...
the P-51? R.I.P sniff[&o]......hehehe

So, you remember that plane, well- then you remember the markings on the P-51....just a hint for the P-47[8D]

Friday or Saturday is MaidenDay....
Old 09-11-2007, 01:06 PM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: kahloq
....and will have a 10x10 blue Denver Broncos canopy for where I'll have planes set up and some folding seats....
hmmmm....then we bring along a 10.5 foot X 10.5 foot Cowboys canopy....ahahhaahaha
Old 09-11-2007, 01:14 PM
NCIS

kahloq,

Your a truck driver and I said I didn't like it. Don't you hate being away from the family so much or are you single? I guess everyone is different but I just couldn't stand being away from home for so long. Plus I worked for a crappy outfit.

Everyone else,

Thanks for all the help on getting there. I am making plans as we speak.

Gibbs
Old 09-11-2007, 01:24 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: NCIS

kahloq,

Your a truck driver and I said I didn't like it. Don't you hate being away from the family so much or are you single? I guess everyone is different but I just couldn't stand being away from home for so long. Plus I worked for a crappy outfit.

Everyone else,

Thanks for all the help on getting there. I am making plans as we speak.

Gibbs
I am not a long haul driver. I work 4 days a week and I am home every night except weds since weds-thurs is an overnight. Friday is a local run in Ft Collins and so it Sat. I deliver produce and food items to restaurants.
I am married btw.

G-Pete....cool about the KMP ME-109. Will be nice to see how someone else set theirs up.
What motor did you install?
Just for kicks, here's a couple pics of mine:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16769.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	761154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99706.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	761155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96595.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	761156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63281.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	761157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46639.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	761158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87971.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	761159  
Old 09-11-2007, 02:23 PM
G-Pete

here is Terry's website look under videos and maiden 109 there you can see his...

[link=http://www.wyliewarbirds.com/]Wyliewarbirds (click here)[/link]
Old 09-11-2007, 04:23 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

here is Terry's website look under videos and maiden 109 there you can see his...

[link=http://www.wyliewarbirds.com/]Wyliewarbirds (click here)[/link]
His jumped off the ground pretty fast. I was happy to see that as it seems stable taking off. The landing part of the video was what had me concerned.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:58 PM
NCIS

kahloq,

Nice work! How old is that Saito engine? Looks like it's been in more than one plane. Is it a 150?

Gibbs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.