Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:47 AM
dvs1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Ok tonight I rebuilt the horizontal stab fiberglass tube that I ruined a few days ago and have installed and glued the horizontal stabs
in place. I think I am going to try to build a hidden pull pull rudder cable system as seen on many of the larger warbirds. As I have
eliminated the hardware on the upper side of the wing I also want to eliminate as much of the hardware on the tail section as well for a
more scale appearance.
I will also most likely purchase a scale tailwheel from Shindin and modify and install it as well as I hate the wire landing gear that is supplied
with the kit. It looks like it belongs on a sport or 3D plane. Of all the scale issues I am bothered by this the most. I would think KMP would
have manuctured this plane with a scale position tailwheel. Not necessarily a retractable one but at least semi scale. Will all the effort in making
it appear fairly scale and then they throw in a wire tailwheel attached to the rudder. But anyway enough rambling on.
I will be posting some more progress pics soon. Still waiting on retracts as well, can't wait to see them in person. Have my fingers crossed and
hope they are decent.

Also I hate to bring up old stuff but I have to throw this in:
A lot of people have complained about the extreme price of this plane and would not buy one and have mentioned that companies like GSP offer
semi scale birds much cheaper. I recall 2 years ago I purchased a spitfire from them that equated to about $300 usd shipped, and that plane only
had a fiberglass fuse with built up wings and the fuse was not all that sturdy. Then I purchased a set of CJM retracts that was also around $300 usd.
Now Im not a rocket scientist but I beleive that added up to $600.00 So for the extra $50 I got a fabulous all composite plane of the same size with retracts.
Now think of that for a moment if you will but I am done rambling, it is late, I am tired and I have to get some sleep so I can go to my stupid job tomarrow
morning so until next time........
Old 10-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Lplus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: dvs1

I was curious about the pojected weight of the plane RTF? Anyone have an idea as of yet? I was hoping I found a home for my OS 160. I just dont know about the cowl dia. It fit completely inside with room to spare in my GP Super Stearman. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Stangevil29
The box says 13lbs. I have the airframe built. No motor, servos, fuel tank or radio gear in fuse. Wing is complete minus retracts and I am already at 8 lbs. With all the composites in this plane it is pretty heavy. I'm just glad
it has flaps. I'm going to finish this plane minus motor and see how much weight I will need up front before I decide on a motor. I want to try and build this plane without using any balancing weights.
This is worrying - I'm looking to buy one of these in the UK and I don't need a brick. I wanted to repaint it too. Hmmmm.[sm=72_72.gif]

Well, the proof will be in the final wing loading and the flying.

I'm really glad you are making this thread...
Old 10-09-2007, 01:13 PM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

We have a D-9 spinner that is almost perfect size for a 1/6 scale A8. The spinner shape on both planes is pretty close.

I going to see if I can get one for an electric conversion and will post pics of it with a spinner.

Mike Grey
Skyshark R/C
Old 10-09-2007, 01:25 PM
dvs1

We have a D-9 spinner that is almost perfect size for a 1/6 scale A8. The spinner shape on both planes is pretty close.

I going to see if I can get one for an electric conversion and will post pics of it with a spinner.

Mike Grey
Skyshark R/C
Great thanks for the info I will have to get one of these from you, now if only I could find a scale cooling fan I would be set.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Redback

Mike,

Would like to get one of your D9 spinners. Any prob shipping to Australia - I tried the Australia button but it didn't work.

DVS1, my retracts came with the kit, don't think you will be disappointed. Will try and take a picture tonight and post.

Progress with mine is slow as I am trying to finish a DH Beaver and get it off the bench. Fitted the wing servos to the mounts, waiting for some Robart hinges to replace the smaller ones used on the flaps etc.

Terry
Old 10-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

The SkyShark D-9 spinners look great and come in 2 or 3 blade . They also hold a paint job after primer , paint & wet sanding and I often use a 24volt Sullivan starter on first cold starts of the day and my paint stays on. I've painted other spinners and they just wouldn't buff out and hold paint as well. Heck,, they even look good on a Zero.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50098.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	780012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17449.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	780013  
Old 10-09-2007, 10:10 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

JUST FYI to all customers who have ordered a FW-190 or BEARCAT from me direct....

YOUR RETRACTS ARE SHIPPING WEDNESDAY in the am via PRIORITY MAIL!!! THEY ARRIVED TODAY TUESDAY at our office...
Sorry for the delay!!!

and Paul at KMP CANADA is getting all the gear out as well!!!!!!!!!!

KEEP THE THREAD MOVING!!

THANKS,

TOMAS
www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]
Old 10-09-2007, 11:11 PM
H8Basher

ORIGINAL: Redback

Mike,

Would like to get one of your D9 spinners. Any prob shipping to Australia - I tried the Australia button but it didn't work.

DVS1, my retracts came with the kit, don't think you will be disappointed. Will try and take a picture tonight and post.

Progress with mine is slow as I am trying to finish a DH Beaver and get it off the bench. Fitted the wing servos to the mounts, waiting for some Robart hinges to replace the smaller ones used on the flaps etc.

Terry

I want one too. Maybe we could get them sent to one address and distribute from there...... I would be happy to pay for a couple and get them sent over, then go halves in the cost. Any other Aussies want one?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:48 PM
dvs1

New pics,

Here is the current plane progress and have opened up the cowl to the proper diameter in the front.

Name:	Kh17612.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	780111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36237.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	780112  
Old 10-10-2007, 12:00 AM
dvs1

Now that I think about it I am thinking maybe a sliding canopy option is in the makes as well. It might be just a little more
than I want to undertake right now but would be so cool. I think perhaps though I should just get this thing built and finished
and weighed to see if she can handle the extra weight from all the cool factor options I want to add. Lets see on the list now are
scale guns, tailwheel, cockpit, sliding canopy and lets not forget about the fuel tank the kit comes with. Because I would hate to
have a brick with wings.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:35 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what radio/servos are you guys using for this plane, does it require HD or will standard servos suffice,I am also looking forward to seing the gear that comes with it.
I might have to sell off some of my kits to get one of these its looking better every time I check back here,I also happen to have a BCMA 26 that looks like it would fit in that cowl nicely.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:54 AM
H8Basher

ORIGINAL: bigtim

what radio/servos are you guys using for this plane, does it require HD or will standard servos suffice,I am also looking forward to seing the gear that comes with it.
I might have to sell off some of my kits to get one of these its looking better every time I check back here,I also happen to have a BCMA 26 that looks like it would fit in that cowl nicely.
I think standard servos would be fine. The kit is set up to use separate servos for each individual control surface (even one for each elevator) I am actually going to change it to one servo for the elevator as I didn't like the friction from the supplied elevator setup and am going to use a single split carbon pushrod. In that case I will be using a higher torque servo. I will also use a high torque servo for rudder, to handle the load from the tailwheel. For the flaps, I plan to use the hitec standard digital servos, so I can program one reversed, and also slow down the speed.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:57 AM
Redback

Here's a picture of the retracts that some of you are waiting for. You also get tubing, a control valve, filler and some bits of hardware I have yet to identify!

As far as servos are concerned I am using Hite HS645MGs for all the control surfaces. Maybe a bit of overkill but what the heck.

Terry

Name:	Xv64918.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	780169  
Old 10-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

Sweet looking gear package.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:10 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know if there is any spare parts support for these Fw-190's yet?

Those struts look pretty good and i've email KMP to see if they will sell the struts or retracts on their own, but he's not sure yet

Hey Redback, is there any chance you could measure the length of the strut?

That, and the drop tank is what i'm after.

thanks

dave
Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Redback

Hi Dave,

No worries, will get out the measuring stick when I get home tonight.

Small hiccup as the mailman brought the wrong size Robart hinge points. Should get the right ones early next week.

Terry
Old 10-11-2007, 04:53 AM
Redback

G'day again,

Did a (very) crude sketch of the U/C leg. If you do the adding up you will find that I am 1mm out! Sorry[]

Dimensions are of course in mm.

Hope this helps

Terry

Name:	Ec89696.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	780873  
Old 10-11-2007, 07:28 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Shouldn't that be 256 mm total?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:28 PM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: nemesis4u

JUST FYI to all customers who have ordered a FW-190 or BEARCAT from me direct....

YOUR RETRACTS ARE SHIPPING WEDNESDAY in the am via PRIORITY MAIL!!! THEY ARRIVED TODAY TUESDAY at our office...
Sorry for the delay!!!

and Paul at KMP CANADA is getting all the gear out as well!!!!!!!!!!

KEEP THE THREAD MOVING!!

THANKS,

TOMAS
www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]
Hey, Tomas --
Airplane arrived yesterday and looks good onb quick inspection! Haven't taken it all out of the box yet for a detailed inspection as we have company here. But I'll get to inspect the whole thiung on Monday. A GREAT packing job!
No retracts yet but I assume they'll be here soon....
Thanks for the prompt service!
Al
Old 10-11-2007, 11:21 PM
dvs1

I am using a futaba radio, with standard futaba ball bearing servos. As has been said earlier there is one servo for every control surface except the rudder. So I think standard servos will suffice.
I may use a high torque on the rudder but doubtful. The surfaces are not overly large and I don't think there will be that much force applied on them.

As soon as I receive my gear I will install it and post pics. I really don't like the blue color that has been posted here. I would prefer grey or silver. Also sierra gear for this plane looks so much more
scale and seems to have much more strut travel distance. I still think I might have to save up some extra funds to get the sierra gear. I think it would compliment this plane better.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:07 AM
alanc

the blue is only anodising, just remove it with emery cloth, i will try my typhoon and see if it removes easily,
Old 10-12-2007, 11:27 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alan,is there going to be a prototype video coming any time soon,there's not munch info on the YT site considering this model is allready shipping,seemed like the spitfire and 109 vids came out pretty fast.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Lplus

ORIGINAL: dvs1

I am using a futaba radio, with standard futaba ball bearing servos. As has been said earlier there is one servo for every control surface except the rudder. So I think standard servos will suffice.
I may use a high torque on the rudder but doubtful. The surfaces are not overly large and I don't think there will be that much force applied on them.

As soon as I receive my gear I will install it and post pics. I really don't like the blue color that has been posted here. I would prefer grey or silver. Also sierra gear for this plane looks so much more
scale and seems to have much more strut travel distance. I still think I might have to save up some extra funds to get the sierra gear. I think it would compliment this plane better.

From the picture it seems to be the basic air up spring down gear. I believe there is a stage between that and the super delux US made gear, though that may just be in the UK. I take it from the angle of the axle that the gear shown does not have the proper inward angle of the original Fw190, since for that the axle wouldn't be at a right angle to the main leg - or are you suppose to bend it? ( I'm assuming that was supplied for an Fw 190...)
Old 10-13-2007, 03:58 AM
H8Basher

My gear looks exactly like the ones in the pic, and has the correct angle machined into the strut for the axle.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:38 AM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: H8Basher

My gear looks exactly like the ones in the pic, and has the correct angle machined into the strut for the axle.
Yesterday morning I ordered the Sierra retracts w/ the options.....
Anyone want me to post pics when they come in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.