Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1/3 Scale Fokker DVIII-What Engine???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/3 Scale Fokker DVIII-What Engine???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/3 Scale Fokker DVIII-What Engine???

I am the new owner of a 1/3 scale Fokker DVIII and I need to find out what displacement engine would fly this beast? The plane is fortunately well constructed and fairly light for it's size, I'd say it's in the 25-27 lb range without the motor. I do not know who's kit or plans this plane is from but the wing is three piece and the wing panels are balsa sheeted foam. The center section with the cabanes is fixed and the outer wing panels slide onto an aluminum tube. The fuse is standard stick construction and it does have a basic cockpit installed. I believe this is a kit as there are stamped/numbered parts visible. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I also need to figure out where the CG would be.

Happy Flying

Loopman
Old 11-03-2007, 08:01 AM
pahtreek
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 1/3 Scale Fokker DVIII-What Engine???

If you want something REALLY cool, I have a friend that put a Zenoah G-62 in (fairly cheap) his 1/3 scale Fokker, but purchased a gear reduction drive from a guy who builds these drives in England. He is swinging a BIG scale prop that looks and sounds awesome. I dont think the reduction was much more than 2-300, and it is made for a G-62 to just bolt on.
I just noticed you live in Duluth, he lives in Alpharetta and flies out at GMA (which is up 400).
Old 11-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Phatreek, G62 is a good fit for that plane.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:16 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ASP 400. 5 Cyl. radial engine. Nice 4 stroke sound. I have one that is going in my 1/3 scale Pup.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:09 PM
FokkerAce

could be a Ron Wiess plan, maybe cut by Chuck Gill. was another kit a while back.....name escapes me....look thru your '80's mags.

G-38 ish should work.

FA[8D]
Old 11-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Well, I got my hands on a Sachs 4.2 with electronic ignition. The engine appears to be in good order with good compression. There is the slightest hint of a grinding sound as I turn it over so I'm sending it to CH for a checkup, could be grimy bearings. Better safe than sorry. The ignition has a dual halls sensor pickup and the plug wire and coil definitely need replacing or repair. Once mounted it should do the DVIII justice. Plan on swinging a 26x8 prop as the 24x10 looks too small on the Fokker.

Happy Flying

Loopman