Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

OT: Forgotten WWII-Era American Fighter Plane Found on Beach in Wales

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

OT: Forgotten WWII-Era American Fighter Plane Found on Beach in Wales

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:23 AM
rwright142

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Forgotten WWII-Era American Fighter Plane Found on Beach in Wales

Check this out:

Sixty-five years after it ran out of gas and crash-landed on a beach in Wales, an American P-38 fighter plane has emerged from the surf and sand where it lay buried — a World War II relic long forgotten by the U.S. government and unknown to the British public.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311724,00.html

Old 11-15-2007, 01:42 PM
alanc

Default RE: OT: Forgotten WWII-Era American Fighter Plane Found on Beach in Wales

wonderfull find, looks in one peice too, friend of mine 3 years ago, showed me some pictures, at first, i could not make it out, but, they where of an aircraft, submerged in a crystal clear lake, up a mountain, it was rotted away, but was non other than a mosquito!!! wonder how many more are out there? we have had recovered from Loch Ness, not a monster, but a wellington bomber, that is now under restoration at broooklands muesum, but, i am told by a diving friend of mine, that, near the welly location, is an untouched boulton paul defiant, why are they not raised??
Old 11-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OT: Forgotten WWII-Era American Fighter Plane Found on Beach in Wales

I wish more Skeeters could be found. Not enough of them around...
Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 PM
spad

Skeeter? is that the Saro Skeeter, the helicopter? if so, hope you don't mind me saying....that's a fairly unusual choice! But you're right, there's not too many around.

Love this story about the p-38 tho'

cheers
Rick
Old 11-15-2007, 05:35 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

I wish more Skeeters could be found. Not enough of them around...
Seems that plywood does not stand up the elements of time like aluminium, or I bet there would be more.

There does seem to be a push on lately to locate more WWII wrecks. The general population is beginning to appreciate the old birds finally.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Evil_Merlin

True enought TLH.

I also wanna see a Fw189 flying again. I know some fine Brits are having a go at it. Give me a Ta-154 too please
Old 11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
spad

aw! c'mon Merlin - what's a Skeeter, I wasn't having a pop, that's the only Skeeter I know of!

Yours waiting (in anticipation) - and you're quite right, there is a 189 in rebuild somewhere around here but it's been very quiet on that front for some time now - not sure how it's going...

cheers
Rick
Old 11-16-2007, 02:00 PM
bigtim

skeeter=anoying little bug that sucks blood and buzzes your ear in the summer,spreader of malaria,denge fever,and other blood borne viruses,darn fine 2engine wooden aircraft.
mossie.
mosquito.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Evil_Merlin

Skeeter is American Slang for Mosquito!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:31 PM
spad

Thanks chaps - all clear now![8D]

Pip pip!

cheers
Rick
Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

All right, hold on there spad! What is the meaning of "Pip pip!"? [sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Seriously, I've heard is so many times, but never new it's specific meaning.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:45 PM
spad

hello stachel! Willi here!

"pip pip" is a (very) British (and pretty old!) way of saying farewell, dontcha know old chap.

Anyway, off to fly under some bridges, you joining me?

Spad
Old 11-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Spad,

I understand that pip pip is used for a farewell. Just curious as to it's origin. Oh well, thanks anyway, it's not important to this thread.

Flying under some bridges sounds fun. But I'm off to spend some time with your aunt!
Old 11-18-2007, 07:47 PM
rleed

Doubt there is anything left that is serviceable after 60 years under salt water and sand. Perhaps it could be used as an engineering template for other restorations or "remanufacture" of a new aircraft. There is a company in Ft. Worth that used several wrecked Ki-43 Hayabusa "Oscar" fighters to build three new aircraft. Very ambitious considering the scope and detail of copying a wrecked aircraft!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:47 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

How are they doing on those Oscars? Air Classics was giving semi regular updates, but I haven't gotten an Air Classics mag in a few years...
Old 11-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: proptop

How are they doing on those Oscars? Air Classics was giving semi regular updates, but I haven't gotten an Air Classics mag in a few years...
The remaining unfinished Oscars are now located in Casa Grande, Arizona and are being completed by Gosshawk Aviation. The first one to fly is complete and is now on display at the Tilamook Aviation Museum in Oregon. I don't think the remaining two have found buyers yet.