Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Sig P-51B 90-100 size??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Sig P-51B 90-100 size??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:33 PM
tony-howard
My Feedback: (224)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Sig P-51B 90-100 size??

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your comments about my web page and products. Flattery will get you (almost) anything!

I agree with what others are saying about the overall appearance of your new Mustang - it immediately looks like a scale Mustang when you first glance at it. So often glaring scale errors ruin what could have been easily done right to begin with. Obviously some concessions have to be made for production purposes, but capturing the 'essence of scale' should always be a priority IMHO. I think you've got a winner in this one.

I wish we could get a reputable manufacturer to make truly scale spinners with the right profile. (I have the NAA drawing set and have the correct profile in CAD format.)

My manifold kits all use a solid molded shroud as a base for the stacks. Until I see a cowl I'm not sure what will be needed. I'm pretty sure something can be worked out.

I appreciate your offer of a cowl and will PM you my address. Having one in hand early will give me a jump start on putting together a kit.

Thanks again.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Mike Gretz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony-

I hear ya on the P-51 spinner. The one we are including in the kit is a World Models (China) item that was already in existance when we started this project. I had traced the spinner outline off a direct side view photo of the full-scale "Shangri-La" in autocad, and was hoping to have an accurate spinner made, but the cost would have added $50+ to the price of the kit and management didn't think that was a good idea. I agreed. Sometimes we have to make concessions.

I think the vast majority of the SIG P-51B buyers will be perfectly satisfied with the kit spinner - it looks darn good going by at 90mph! Scale nuts like myself can upgrade to a Dave Brown spinner if they choose.

FYI - the spinner in all the pics is the spinner supplied in the kit.

Mike
Old 01-08-2008, 01:57 PM
jmohn

Mike,

Thanks for the info! I will try the mechanical retracts and see how it goes. I have just been having problems with them on several planes at this time and gone with air for less headaches. The final version looks great! Hurry up and get mine here

I will try and share my experience converting to electric and post something here on the process.

Jeff
Old 01-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Whistling Death

Tony have you ever tried Tru Turn. They say they will make any custom spinner.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Mike Gretz

I believe True Turn already has a "P-51" spinner. I forgot about that one.

Tony - how do the Dave Brown and Tru Turn P-51 spinners compare to your documentation?

Mike G
Old 01-08-2008, 05:47 PM
tony-howard
My Feedback: (224)

Sorry, I didn't mean to divert attention away from the new Sig Mustang.

The problem with most of the available spinners is that they don't fair into the cowl smoothly like the full scale does. When I was working on the retro cowl for the TF GS 1/5 scale Mustang I did some research into what was then available and later tried to see if it was practical to have them custom made.

Bear in mind this was to find a scale 5-1/2" spinner. Other sizes within product lines could have a different profile, although the Vortech and TruTurn look to me like all their 'P-51' spinners share the same profile. And there could be minor drafting variations on my part. The attached photo is what I came up with.

The DB and Gene Barton spinners were purchased and measured. The profile for the TruTurn came from their website drawing which I used as an underlay in my CAD program. For the Zinger I used their website photo as an underlay. The full scale outline came from the NAA drawings which were also brought into my CAD program as an underlay. (The full scale Mustang spinner's length is 0.93 that of its diameter - in other words, it's shorter than its base diameter.) I'd be the first to admit a couple of the spinners are fairly close.

As an aside, it appears at least some B/C models had an even shorter spinner - perhaps much like the Barton profile. I have a couple of cowl drawings showing such a unit. Ironically, the drawing index page listing the spinner data has the drawing numbers clipped off the edge! I found a source who says he has the missing data and will forward it. With that information I may be able to determine how many aircraft - if any - those spinners were used on.

As regards having spinners custom made, I contacted Vortec ... their shop foreman said he was sure the 'boss' would say no. TruTurn's FAQ page explains that a custom made spinner would have to be paid for up front and could be very expensive if not enought were sold. Zinger is no longer going to do any new spun spinners. And Gene Barton hasn't answered my email.

I keep harping on the correct spinner shape because I don't see why in this day and age of CNC tooling it's such a big deal. I think the market is there and if enough of us express an interest in (or maybe it should be 'harp' about ) scale spinners, someone will start providing them.

OK, I'll turn the podium over to someone elso so we can get back to the subject at hand.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65391.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	845966  
Old 01-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Mike Gretz

Tony,

The NAA shape that you drew is very close to the straight-on photo of "Shangri-La"'s spinner that I traced for my cad drawing - see attached layering of the photo under the shapes you provided.

The Zinger is the closest - approx. 1/8" too short in the 4" dia. that the SIG P-51B uses.
The Dave Brown (Vortec) and Tru Turn are both approx. 3/16" too long.

No matter which company it is, it's next to impossible to get them to change their tooling once it is made. Understandably so - it's very expensive.

Mike G

Name:	Ay76104.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	846503  
Old 01-09-2008, 04:48 PM
MBLAKECC

PICKING ONE UP THIS WEEK. GOING TO COVERET IT TO ELECTRIC AND INSTALLING A SOUND SYSTEM (1 EXTRA LB). GOING WITH THE 4130 16 WITH 7C 5000. SEPERATE BATTERY FOR THE SOUND. BEC FOR THE RECEIVER OFF THE 4 C . ANY SUGESTIONS?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:25 PM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

My SIG P-51B arrived to me last night.
I took some pics, but am on a deadline at work, so can't post them yet...
She's a real beauty![8D]
Old 01-14-2008, 06:59 AM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

I posted pics on the other link titled "SIG P-51B"
=)
Perhaps we should all consolodate...There are an awful lot of threads on this plane. [8D]
Old 01-15-2008, 12:27 PM
jmohn

Just got mine yesterday. Sig did a real nice job on this kit! Great instruction manual with good detailed instructions and photos. The plane has a lot of work already done that is typically left for the builder to do like: install the canopy, servo hatches screwed down, gear bays already cut and trimmed, etc. They also left the decals off in case you want to use youre own design. Overall, much better than other kits I have built. The attention to scale is better than other kits too. Given the trend to cut back on things these days I am impressed by the kit and hope it flys as well as it looks

Jeff
Old 09-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Nitrodan73
My Feedback: (12)

Does anyone know where I can get a malcolm hood or canopy for this bird? I see people talking about it but noone actually says where they get them. Please help!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:58 AM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

HI Nitrodan73, Have a look at the page link I have below,No flaps put one of my canopies on his sig p-51 had to do a little work but have a look,and if your intrested send me a PM and I see what I can do. I made the plug for my top flite 1/7 P-51B,(slowly puttering away at it) and Sean (noflaps) like it ,so take a look.And the other 2nd thread is my very slow build.

Thanks
Joe

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_69..._5/key_/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68...tm.htm#6828339
Old 09-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Nitrodan73
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks Joey! I will contact you when I am ready to purchase the canopy. California property taxes just went up $400 bucks a month.[:@] There goes my hobby money. Now I have to save my pennies.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:13 AM
Ed Couch

About 36 flights on my bird and it has been a pleasure to fly. Electrofied running a Turnigy motor and ESC turning an 16/10 prop on eight cells. A beautiful flying machine which flies much better than any Stang I have ever flown. Speed is outstanding and it looks great on the ground or in the air. ed

Name:	Lj23840.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1030161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94291.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1030162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76200.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	17.4 KB