Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

More progress on my Bates SBD!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

More progress on my Bates SBD!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 09:08 PM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RE: More progress on my Bates SBD!

Murfman, I have a Laser3.00 in my Fokker D-7 and it is a real powerhouse. Best running four stroke engine I have ever had. The 3.60 should be more than adequate for the Dauntless. I have two Laser 2.00s for my Ziroli B-25. Don
Old 02-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Murfman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4 stroke options for Ziroli Dauntless

Don-

I wonder if the dimensions are close to the 3.00 laser. Perhaps it has a longer stroke and slightly larger bore? I dont want anything cutting through the cowl. I cant imagine that its that big an engine...the SBD is pretty large. Thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone else know the diameter of the 360 laser?

Thanks again-
-Steve
Old 02-11-2004, 01:32 AM
pittsdriver

Steve, The 3.00 is 3.97" from crankshaft center to top of head the same as the 1.50 single. I don't think the 3.60 will be much bigger if at all. The V-twins are built to order and take about six weeks so keep that in mind. You can buy them through Proctor here in the states. Don
Old 02-14-2004, 03:53 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

Yeehah! The gunner ring is done! I just started working on the twin 30 guns today, so they will follow later this week (hopefully).

I'll try to get my site updated later tonight to show you how I fabricated this gunner ring, but for now, here's a pic of the finished product.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91085.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	100903  
Old 02-14-2004, 09:12 PM
NE0

Well, I got my site updated, so I have all the fabrication pics and steps now posted...

[link=http://www.renderwurx.com/rc/SBD/html/office/gturret.htm]www.renderwurx.com/rc/SBD/html/office/gturret.htm[/link]

Here are a couple pics of it installed. BTW, can you believe this thing only weighs 2.1 ounces!?!

Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39779.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	101005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40254.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	101006  
Old 02-14-2004, 10:29 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom,
As always, absolutely fabulous stuff.

I have to say though, that the most shocking thing I've noticed in your photos is that your wearing a wedding ring.
Now that is on understanding woman!
Wish I could'a found someone like that.

Happy Valentines day, and I think she deserves a big hug!

Paul Reese
Old 02-15-2004, 12:24 PM
NE0

LOL, thanks Paul! Well, I let my wife "retire" at 43 years old and do whatever she wants all day while I'm at work, so she doesn't get any say in what I do with my "free" time! Besides, now she's nursing both here aging and ill parents from morning til night 7 x 365, so she's not there for me to come home to anyway... might as well be workin' on planes! One day when her parents are gone, we can hopefully spend more time together, but for now, I'm living more of a bachelor's life if ya know what I mean. []

Tom
Old 02-15-2004, 07:27 PM
SDCrashmaster

ORIGINAL: NE0

...so she's not there for me to come home to anyway... might as well be workin' on planes!.
Tom
Can't think of anything better.
Look forward to every new installment.
Paul
Old 02-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Lord

Tom,
Nice work to say the least! I do have a couple questions and some comments. Weight, how much does that cockpit weigh? Would vacuum formed cockpit parts be much lighter? Would it matter, I mean are your parts almost as light as a similar vacuum formed one? Maybe just using flight metal on parts that would show large portions of metal through the paint could help save weight?

The wing, how is the full scale aileron hinged? Given the cockpit detail you should have invested some of that energy in the aileron hinging and actuation![&:] I see to many giant scale aircraft with exposed linkage and even huge servos bolted to the outer wing skin! [:'(] I know you said this was a practice ship of sorts and I know how projects can grow far beyond what you originally planned, in that respect I could understand your decision to have a sport aileron set up on an otherwise museum class model.

Just my thoughts and observations, what do you think?

Bill
Old 02-16-2004, 09:27 AM
NE0

Bill,

I don't know how much the "entire" cockpit weighs, I only weighed certain component along the way. I'm sure that vacuuformed cockpits would weigh no less than mine as they are both made out of styrene for the biggest part. Mine is mostly styrene, and some balsa which is just as light as styrene. I did use some ply in certain areas but that was because it's required to give the component enough structural strength to withstand vibration and/or support weight.

I looked high and low for vacuuformed cockpits, and only found one, which was the wrong scale. Also, all the vacuuformed cockpit kits I found had 1/10 the detail mine does and about 1/3 the number of interior components mine does. In my opinion, my level of detail is of "Masters Scale" level and most vacuuformed kits are "sport scale" at best. It's all a matter of how "real" you want your cockpit to look. For example, Here's a pic of the SBD vaccuformed cockpit, and a pic of mine... you tell me if there's any comparison.

Vacuuformed kit...

Scratch-built...

Bottom line is this. Do you want a so-so "sport-scale" cockpit kit at 5 ounces, or a "holy crap" photo-realistic scratch-built cockpit at 8 ounces? I can live with the extra 3 ounces on a 25lb+ bird. Besides, scratch-building cockpits is my favorite part... why would I want to skip that part? I'd be willing to bet that my cockpit doesn't weigh 25% more than one of those kits but has 500% more detail and is 300% more accurate. So far, it looks like my front cockpits will weigh about 8 ounces each, times two for one total pound. I would guess that the "kits" probably weigh at least 10-12 ounces for both cockpits, if they include seats, guns, etc.. I think that the extra few ounces are well worth the tremendous amount of additional detail and "wow factor" and was the funnest part of the build for me.

Oh yeah, one other thing... that vacuuformed kit is $260 plus shipping... I've got about $40-50 of material in mine. Hmmm, spend 5-6 times the money for 5 -10 times less detail... I don't think so.

As for the ailerons, you're right, the full-scale SBD uses Frise-type offset hinges and mine doesn't. You'll be hard pressed to find many models that do. Remember, I started building the wing on this plane over a year ago with only 1 year of experience in RC at all. I had only built a couple kits up to that point and this was my first time ever scratch-building from plans. I was in no position to "question" the plans or begin reengineering a professional designers plans. I was scared to death just following the plans, much less pretend to be a designer and redesign and engineer the aileron hinges. Besides, the ailerons are the ONLY thing on my entire plane that has exposed control linkage, which is very small and only seen from below the plane. I would bet that 90% or more of the warbirds out there have at least that much "non-scale" linkage showing.

You don't go to the ski-slopes for the first time in your life and head for the Black Diamond hill... you go to the bunny slope and learn how to stand up on skis without falling on your *ss if ya know what I mean. This is my first scale plane... give me a chance to learn how to build first! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Tom
Old 02-16-2004, 10:11 AM
Tank Malin

Tom,

I must say your craftsmanship is outstanding, these manufacturers of so called 'Scale Cockpits' should maybe take the time to look at your recreation of the Dauntless cockpit and see just how 'Un-Scale' their products actually are. I've looked into cockpit kits like most ,as I'm about to start a Ziroli Dauntless and when I saw the $260 price tag for one off the shelf kits I had to reboot my PC just to make sure that what I was seeing was right, no way on this earth would I be tempted to purchase one for that price!. Anyway you've now given us so many valuble lessons throughout your SBD build that I'm sure the majority of people entering into such a project would want to construct the cockpit and other Scale features using your techniques rather than just purchasing something, I know I will be.
Thanks for sharing your natural ability with me (if not nearly all the followers of your build)

Cheers

Tank malin

p.s You don't sell SBD cockpit kits do you !!!
Old 02-16-2004, 10:41 AM
NE0

Default RE: RE: RE: More progress on my Bates SBD!

Tank,

Thanks so much for your comments. I was somewhat taken aback by the previous post, as nobody has ever even questioned or compared my cockpit vs a "kit" before. I don't think you can even compare the two. I'm not trying to blow my own horn, but just look at the two and draw your own conclusion. Add to that the nearly $300 to get the lesser quality one to your door vs $50, and it's a no-brainer for me.

I'm not bashing those who do use kits, as scratching this much detail DOES take a lot of time and a unique skill set. But, that's what I'm best at and that's what I enjoy the most. Different strokes for different folks. I'm confindent that my cockpit will produce a good deal of "buzz" at any event I take it to, and equally as confindent that a "kit" wouldn't get a second look. As for the extra few ounces (if that's even the case), it's still worth it. I've never weighed one of those "kits" but will just bet they don't weight much less than mine.

For example, my gunner turret ring... 2.1 ounces!!! I GUARANTEE YOU that the "kit version" of it weighs MORE and isn't half as realistic/accurate. I just don't see the comparison.

Thanks again for your support, glad someone appreciates the effort.

Tom
Old 02-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Tom,

$260 sounds ridiculously high for a vacuum-formed cockpit kit that would still need a ton of work to make it look decent. For all the time, effort, and skill you've put into yours you'd probably have to charge $2,000.00 for it!! [sm=bananahead.gif]

Once again I'm knocked-out by your latest updates! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Jim
Old 02-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: NE0

Tank,

Thanks so much for your comments. I was somewhat taken aback by the previous post, as nobody has ever even questioned or compared my cockpit vs a "kit" before. I don't think you can even compare the two. I'm not trying to blow my own horn, but just look at the two and draw your own conclusion. Add to that the nearly $300 to get the lesser quality one to your door vs $50, and it's a no-brainer for me.

I'm not bashing those who do use kits, as scratching this much detail DOES take a lot of time and a unique skill set. But, that's what I'm best at and that's what I enjoy the most. Different strokes for different folks. I'm confindent that my cockpit will produce a good deal of "buzz" at any event I take it to, and equally as confindent that a "kit" wouldn't get a second look. As for the extra few ounces (if that's even the case), it's still worth it. I've never weighed one of those "kits" but will just bet they don't weight much less than mine.

For example, my gunner turret ring... 2.1 ounces!!! I GUARANTEE YOU that the "kit version" of it weighs MORE and isn't half as realistic/accurate. I just don't see the comparison.

Thanks again for your support, glad someone appreciates the effort.

Tom
Tom,

Don't let it get to you. Some guys get satisfaction out of being critical. I guess it just makes them feel bigger and better.

I get excited when I get an email notice that you've made a new posting. Your cockpit...(HE**, your airplane) is far better then 99% of the stuff I see out there. There is NO COMPARISON between your cockpit and the ABS crap out there for sale. Any one who would even try to compare the two obviously has no eye for detail (or should I say ART).

Hurry-up will ya on those 30's? I can't wait!!

-Mustang51
Old 02-16-2004, 11:38 AM
NE0

Thanks Jim, that's a pretty close guess. I should have about 100-120 hours in my cockpit. So I ask anyone that ones me to build theirs... "How much do you get paid to work 100-120 hours?"

Even at $20 an hour that's at least $2000. If you have a unique trade/skill, like a mechanic, plumber, technician, artist, lawyer, doctor... you're gonna get more than $20 an hour. If ya expect this much work for $200, that's a wopping $2 an hour... sorry, but momma didn't raise no dummies!

I know nobody is gonna spend $2000 dollars or more for an RC Scale cockpit... heck I sure wouldn't. That's why I wouln't even consider offering it. I've always said, there is no way you can do this level of scale detail to any portion of a plane and expect to make money at it. If you want to do it because you like it that much or have nothing else to do, that's fine. But I've got more things to do than hours to do them in, so I'd have to make a decent wage before I'd ever consider selling cockpits.

Tom
Old 02-16-2004, 11:53 AM
pittsdriver

Tom, You're cockpit looks awsome. So much so that I'm throwing away the vacuform side panels on my Clark Spit and I'm going to scratch build them. The Clark cockpit is very nice with about 100 cast resin parts, but you tell people they are $300 and they think its way too expensive. In my mind you get what you pay for and except for the side panels this is a nice kit although a lot of work to do nicely. Thanks for the insperation and the tutorial and I can't wait to see what your next subject will be. Don
Old 02-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Tom,

Weird thing is ... Ziroli's SBD plans show a real nice scale-type rudder hinging but model-type hinges on the elevators and ailerons. I learned about realistic hinging from building a couple of Brian Taylor plans. He ALWAYS shows scale type hinging, and how to do it! On the other hand, the Don Smith plans I have show scale recessed hinge lines and locations but no clue how to do it! Maybe your next scale masterpiece should be from Brian Taylor plans, that way everything will be correct from the start! [sm=thumbup.gif]

As far as the Frise type control surfaces goes, you could always go back and modify your ailerons later (you might have to build new ones), but for now your model is so FANTASTIC not many people will notice. [sm=biggrin.gif]

Jim
Old 02-16-2004, 01:03 PM
pittsdriver

Jim, That's what I did on this Spitfire. It had non-scale ailerons and I blew up the Taylor plan to this size and built scale hinged ailerons. As I said in the previos post, I can't wait to see what Tom has up his sleeve for the next model. Don
Old 02-16-2004, 01:19 PM
YAT-28E

That is awesome!!!

I got me a Pica $18.00 cockpit kit only because I have never scratched anything
(well just my noggin trying to figure things out),

...But now with the help of NEO (not NEMO, sorry, kid stuff) I have found the way to better
SCALE! (sounds like an infommercial)!!

With Neo scale is only a few Sheets away from........Ta dah an award!!

Agin, Thanks for showing us all you techniques. The internet sure helps!
Otherwise we would never learn this fast unless we jumped in the SUV and found people like you
and ask!!
Old 02-16-2004, 02:15 PM
NE0

Don/Jim,

Thanks, yes the scale hinging will be a topic for the "next" plane... if there is one! You have to take "baby steps" on this stuff. This plane is just a first crack at scale for me. I've already gone way further than I planned, and WAY further than many guys EVER go... all on my first plane.

The thought of cutting up my wing TE and ditching and rebuilding them ailerons after over 40 hours of building, painting, weathering, detailing, etc. them,... makes me cringe. Especially when I don't even know if this thing will fly worth a darn or if I'll even like it. Guys may want to point out my "non-scale" hinging and disregard the other 99% of the plane that IS scale, yet have no problem with making planes that have no cockpit (much less a scale/detailed cockpit), no exterior detailing, no weathering and have a dozen other missing or "non-scale" items.

No plane is 100% scale accurate, much less perfect. ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S YOUR FIRST ATTEMPT AT A SCALE PLANE. [sm=drowning.gif] There are a thousand things on any plane that you have to make decisions on, and it all comes down to how much time you want to spend and HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE you have to make the mods you want to do. If you don't feel comfortable with your ability to reengineer a major flight component... follow the plans. Seems like you go the extra mile for something better than the norm and there is always someone who points out that you didn't go 1.1 miles. [sm=rolleyes.gif]

I think everyone is forgetting how little time I have in this hobby, and that I had put together nothing but a couple RTF, ARF and simple kits when I built and hinged these ailerons. Think back to when you had been in RC for only a year. Did you have the expertise to redesign scale Frise hinges on a giant scale warbird at that point? Hats off to you if you did... a lot of guys are still trying to get off the buddy box at that point. [sm=surprised.gif]

Here's the deal. I AM A PLASTIC SCALE MODELER who just found out you can fly these darn things. I like to make details. I LOVE to build cockpits. I picked a plane that had the most interesting cockpit I could find, yet be a reasonably easy plane to fly, since I'm a beginner. So I built a cool cockpit, had fun doing it, and everything else is just ancillary to me. If guys don't like my hinging, they don't have to look at it. I don't like their cockpits (or lack thereof), but I don't post messages to their threads diss'ing their plane because they don't have a rockin, scale cockpit. [sm=stupid.gif] I wouldn't ever even consider bringing it up.

Beguine,

Thanks glad my stuff has helped you. Everyone needs someone to help them out now and then (especialy me), but we don't have to worry about learning EVERYTHING on our first attempt.

Tom
Old 02-16-2004, 02:18 PM
NE0

Mustang,

Sorry, I just saw your post. I'm workin' hard on them 30's... it's taken me 3 tries just to get the main structure of them to my satisfaction. Much harder than I had anticipated. I hope to have them done by the end of the week. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Thanks!!!!

Tom
Old 02-16-2004, 03:05 PM
SDCrashmaster

Tom,
You have no need whatsoever to even remorely justify any negative comments towards your SBD. First scale build or twentieth, don't matter cause no one else's even comes close...at least to my knowledge.
I know that when you pour your heart and soul into a scale project of this magnitude, that any criticism at all really hurts. Those kind of comments usually come from those with no scale abilities, only building skills. They need to find fault in something this spectacular because each and every picture is just reassurance their own mediocrity.
Trust me, I am considered a scale "guru" by many...and your project is causing me to reflect on my own abilities.
You just keep doing exactly what you're doing. The decisions you've made on what to, and not to do has ended up being an absolutely amazing thing to watch develop that is paralleled by none.

Negative comments towards your spectacular project don't deserve your attention, much less a response.

Paul Reese
Old 02-16-2004, 03:44 PM
NE0

Thank you very much Paul.

Sorry if I've gone off on a rant, or appear too thin-skinned. I just want to try to keep some perspective to this project. I've got close to 1700 hours in it over 14-15 months and I'm a couple weeks away from being done. I have basically turned my life off for the past year to get this thing done and am tired of looking at it. I went way too far on this plane than I ever should have on my first attempt, so right now is not the time to tell me how to go back and redesign and engineer major flight components if ya know what I mean.

I just want to get the d*** thing done and move on. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=redface.gif][sm=tired.gif]

Tom
Old 02-16-2004, 04:38 PM
SDCrashmaster

Yer gettin' real close Tom.
I am feelin' ya. I put close to 1,200 hrs. into my Cessna, and many times wondered if what I was doing is what I really should be doing.
I'm not talking about "linkages and hinges", I'm talking about "is this whole project/hobby what I really should be focussing on in my life" kinda stuff.
In the end, it is such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. And that is only magnified with with look of amazement on every single person who lays eyes on your plane.
As time goes on, yeah, you'll see things that "knowing then what I know now" you'd do differently, but all-in-all, you'll find it hard to believe that you built that unbelivable thing.
You have dropped a lot of jaws. There are some who understand the time you put in on both the kit and the constantly updated, impeccably designed (both graphically and technically) website.
If you ever get the feeling of whether it's all worth it, know that it is to us!
You tear it up!
Old 02-16-2004, 04:50 PM
NE0

Thanks again Paul, I know exactly what you mean. I've done a lot of that "soul-searching" the past couple months myself. I feel pretty guilty about all the things I've neglected to get this plane to where it is. It has really grown into somewhat of an "unhealthy obsession" for me, as I have spent virtually every free hour of my week on it for over a year. That's not too smart, and my house, wife and health are all paying for it.

I just REALLY want to get it done now as I have almost reached the point of resenting it for letting it take over my life. That's probably why criticism right now is kinda like salt in the wound. I just absolutely love making things that look real, and love sharing how to do it with other people just as much. However, I won't let another plane take over my life again like this one did... and I have no intention of going back and rebuilding anything on it for a very, very long time. [:'(]

Thanks,

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.