Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
 H9/TF P-47  .60 ARF  "N" version >

H9/TF P-47 .60 ARF "N" version

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

H9/TF P-47 .60 ARF "N" version

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:00 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H9/TF P-47 .60 ARF "N" version

I have been reading the thread in the ARF section and had this partially done about a year ago. Well im back at it with renewed excitement. I bought the H9 .60 size ARF with one thing in mind, P-47N-2-re. I was thumbing through a Squadron walk around book and seen this nice indian gal on the cowl and then noticed the name!!!! Chautauqua, well i just happen to work for an airline named Chautuaqua Airlines and really had the mouse wheel going. Make my own graphics, the H9 arf, and a warbird flyin coming up in several months at my local club. The hurdles, wing planform.....its just wood! Started researching and became a Jug head!!!

Ok, this thing will fly very soon!!!!
After seeing desintex posting on his mods for robart gear and doors really added to the smoke rolling out between my ears. Nice scale looking and operation with the inner gear doors.
I went a few steps farther in what top flite offers for the bubble conversion, the TF canopy is much closer to scale, a fiberglass cowl for the same 1/8 scale kit is better looking also. I had planned on adding the scale tail wheel retract but passed when my deadline got close to the flyin. Robart pnuematic gear with oleo struts and 3 1/2" scale wheels replaced the H9 retracts.
The wheel wells are enlarged and closed in, the mounts were modified to accept the robarts and gear doors fabricated from layers of 1/64 ply to conform to the wing curvature. Used sonictronics hidden hinges on the inner doors with a servo to activate them. A EMS gear door sequencer was added for door and gear operation.

The wing mods are the only cutting done so far and the fuse was partially stripped to alter the scheme to replicate "Chautauqua".
There are several plastic kits of the same squadron and actually found a Revell/Hasegawa japanese kit of the identical plane.
The markings are a littel off/lacking compared to "Expected Goose" and "Shell Pusher" that i feel are more close to actual so ther might be another conversion coming next fall, formation flying would be a real joy.
Moding the wing has consisted of the following additions/changes
1. Wing root extensions added to each wing of 2 1/4" with a new spar joiner made AND a sheet metal reinforced laminated joiner to accomodate the added width.
2. The wing tips are more squared on the N so i cut off 1 1/2" on each tip, closed it in with a new rib and tip block. The aileron was trimmed also.
3. the gear wheel wells as stated above, closed and actually added "stringers" to the upper sheeting on the inside of well for visual and added support.
4. the .50 cal barrels were fabricated from carbon and aluminum tubing with a shear web/barrel support added to the bay just inboard of the wing servo hatch. Guns were placed "parallel" to the ground with about 7/8" spacing.

I am trying some techniques as to adding panle lines and fasteners using different shades and colors of sharpie and art pins. Pretty suprised as to the effect and right now trial and error.
More pictures will be posted soon, ie the cowl, the stenciling and markings still to come. Let me know what you think.
[img][/img]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72457.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	903423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64914.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	903424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62894.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	903425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yg97974.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	903426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu11356.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	903427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx31259.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	903428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr26326.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	903429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rq54974.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	903430  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt28005.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	903431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xj53709.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	903432  
Old 03-14-2008, 06:29 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9/TF .60 ARF "N" version

Sam@ata;

Man-O- Man; That looks good, I thought mine was good; but your's takes the title by far, simple awesome.

Doug
Old 03-17-2008, 03:34 PM
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam,

You've got mine beat!
I love the inner gear doors!
I can't wait to see that thing in person!
That's really gonna' look awesome with the finished cowl on there.
I've started it, but haven't finished yet...I think I have one too many irons in the fire.
very soon though!

Name:	Bz77214.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	905957  
Old 03-20-2008, 10:17 PM

Trying to see if there is any interest in this bash???????
I have a question in the arf forum about my props and was wondering if anyone else might be interested in display props for 1/8, Curtiss or Hamilton????????
I have carved up a master for the Curtiss and going to try to cast my own, if enough interest is brought up, i could consider casting a few.
Has anyone else built a p-47N and what kit or arf did you use?
Old 03-21-2008, 04:12 PM

You wouldn't want to do 1/7th scale would you?

I think I'll go kick my P47. Your's is great.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:45 PM

hey dad i took the pic hahahahaha i like noflaps P-51 it looks good
Old 04-28-2008, 08:39 AM

Sam,
Your nose art is ready for you...Sorry we were'nt able to get together this weekend, too many events and not enough of me to go around.
Overall, She's pretty spot-on to the original, though I took some liberties with the special areas... [)]
I otherwise I used the squadron publications you gave me as a guide
Hope you like her and just let me know when we can meet. [8D]

That's gonna be one fiine plane to see when finished !!

Name:	Lj22530.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	938941  
Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 AM

Sean you have come through with flying colors. I hope to have her finished shortly and her first flight very soon. As the Mint Julep is ever so close i was thinking of this next year in the novice fun scale. Hey, the southern Indiana club has their Scale Classic in the Sept and that 800' x 50' runway looks awesome. I drove down to Rosewood In yesterday to sneak a peak. wide wide open area. Just make sure you pack EVERYTHING to get you comfortable for it is at least 15 mins to the nearest place to eat.

Name:	Ig11942.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	938992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52386.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	938993  
Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 AM

Here's another but the glare on the paint makes some of it hard to see.

Name:	Wu60955.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	939672  
Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 PM

Default RE: H9/TF P-47 .60 ARF "N" version

Well, things will start ot happen and i am moving forward on this bash. The info i have collected for P-47's could make for some great scale docs. Decals, drawings, books, all have been really helpful. This N version has been fun and a learning experience since it is my first scale plane. I might have gone overboard but some of the ideas i had for details have really been worth the thought and follow through. The maiden i propse will be in two weeks or so barring weather and all should go well. No reversed ailerons, retracts checked and double checked, pilot in place and ready. Maybe just maybe i might get it on video. I have flown a friends H9 P-47 arf .60 with same size engine and it flew great. First tiem on sticks and i did a prototypical takeoff and landing. the three point kind as seen in the p47 films..... got a lot of comments from folks on that.
Off to the workbench and ill keep this thread going as i get closer to finish. Thanks dasintex for the great work you put into yours and the motivation to copy your gear install. Well worth it.