Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What choice do I have???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What choice do I have???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 01:51 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What choice do I have???

I am just about at the point of construction in my red box Corsair that I need to order the retracts. The field I fly from is NOT the smoothest around. I know that I can do a greaser landing EVERY time. Yeah right. So if I go with Robart I will end up replacing parts every other landing or so, or if I go with the Century I get retracts that have other problems. The mech. retracts are not made for planes in this size, so where does that leave me. I have flaps, retracts and a paint job so the plane will not weigh in at less then 9 pounds. With my luck it will be WAY more then that.

Do I just leave it in the bones and wait until some company makes a good set of retracts, go with fixed gear( no way) or live with the problem of the sets that are out there.

Thanks.

Dru.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:41 PM
akpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of days ago, I asked a similar question about my Gold Edition Corsair. After that question, and a lot of research on this site and others, I'm convinced there's not a set answer - unfortunately.

I've e-mailed Robart directly on this same issue, as I'm hoping that they'll give further insight, but as of this morning (weekend) there's still no answer.

The majority of people seem to favor the Robarts, however they still have their problems. My initial thoughts are that I might as them to build a set specifically with stronger links in it. If I'm going to spend a decent amount of time building my bird, that I want it to survive.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:05 PM
Kirk RC
My Feedback: (4)

Default Retracts in TF warbirds

Dru,
I have built almost all the TF gold kits plus the old red box p-51 & p-40. Each time I used CJM retract except once in my AT-6 I used Robart (BIG MISTAKE). What I have found is that all the TF kits you must beef up the wing ribs ,retract rails and LE around each retract site. You can do this when your building OR after your first less than perfect landing. The CJM retracts do at times have a problem or two but the service at CJM is great and the product is tough, tough, tough! vs the cheap plastic that always breaks in the Robart 1/7 scale product. Just my thoughts, Good luck
Kirk RC
Old 04-27-2003, 10:51 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Corsair retracts

Don't know if this would work or not ... Yellow has a very nice looking set of rotating gear for their new P40, and they told me that they were made extra strong so they could be used on the next release, a 100" Corsair. Maybe too heavy for your planes, but would sure be strong!

Dave
Old 04-29-2003, 12:03 AM
fryfly
My Feedback: (8)

unfortunately ALL of us warbird guys are in the same boat !!! buy what you may,take them apart and fix the week parts yourself,that's really the ONLY thing you can do.
been there and done that !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck
Old 04-29-2003, 12:33 AM
blvdbuzzard

I figured that I was bewtween a rock and a hard place. I now know that I am uder the rock in a hard palce. I will roll the dice and hope for the best.

Thanks for all of the help. I just do not want to belly land it after they won't come down.

Dru.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:41 AM
MIC

If your have the money you might check out Sierra Precision. If your bank account can handle it.

http://www.sierraprecision.com/products.html
Old 04-29-2003, 03:20 AM
blvdbuzzard

Yes they look very nice. I had to break out the paddles to get a heart beat in my wallet. My wallet fainted.. they are pricey but they do look nice.

Dru.