Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Painting Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 11:22 PM
jdorsh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Question

I am currently looking for an HVLP gun and with so many on the market with prices ranging from $80 to $500, which is the right choice for modeling purposes. Does anyone have any experience in this subject - I do have an 2HP aircompressor 5 Gal tank (120 PSI max), regulator and filtration system already that can bring down the PSI and increase the flow to handle HVLP guns. Additionally, I have already purchased a Paasche Automotive kit that comes with the H series airbrush, a larger gun, and a paint pencil.

Suggestions are appreciated!

Jed
Old 04-28-2003, 01:27 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default guns

I just use a cheap touchup gun from walmart with great sucess. if you have a lowes by you they have a nice spray kit with a touchup gun the large gun and extra pots plus hose quick connects etc for around 50 bucks. I used to have the high dollar guns when I sprayed cars but I needed them there in the model business I found the cheap ones spray just as good so I save my money on plane stuff and use my 25 dollar walmart touchup gun to spray my planes and my paasche airbrush and use the rest of my money on servos retracts etc

Joe
Old 04-28-2003, 01:43 AM
slammin_sam

I agree with Joe. I bought a touchup gun at Sears for about $45 and it works great.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:20 AM
SVX

Since this is a thread about painting I thought that I could ask a couple more questions. What paint do you guys use? I have seen allot done with Chevron paints and then there is the whole Latex category. And how do you mix it i.e. thin is by what percent? Also what psi do you run the air line at with a touch up gun?
Old 04-28-2003, 03:34 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

I bought a gun from Home Depot - Campbell Hausfield, $30.00 (detail gun with 8oz tank)

I shot Sherwin Williams Latex, thinned with cheap windshield washer fluid and a couple shots of Floetrol

30 p.s.i., and the mixture is you gotta play with it depending on color is what I found out. Some colors need more thinning than
others.

Basically I was around a 50/50 mixture by the time I got my spray pattern the way I wanted it.

Todd
Old 04-28-2003, 04:08 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jed, I was in your shoes a coupla months ago. It seems like a lot of the jet guys are using the Walcom STM HVLP gun. So I bought it. It is my first gun and I am spraying my first finish. I have a very old 1 hp compressor and it works great. After I finally got over the part where I thought I was putting on too much paint (I was putting on too little). I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm anal about my finishes, I'm pretty good with Ultracote. But I have/had no experience with paint. I am actually pleased with the results. I have been using PPG paint and John Redmond's suggestions. You can get then here:

http://www.lov2flyrc.com/Painting%20a%20jet.doc

I got the gun on ebay from Autobodydepot.com for $141. They always have one for auction, do a search and you will find it. JLMK if I can help at all.

Bob
Old 04-28-2003, 08:43 PM
fryfly
My Feedback: (8)

I also use the Campbell Hausfeld gun (CHEAP/works GREAT).35 to 40 pounds pressure..Plus I will never use ANYTHING but exterior latex house paint for all my warbirds,it's very simple and easy to mix 30 to 40 percent windshield washer fluid or plain water. The only advantage the windshield washer has over the water is it settles out a bit more because the mild detergent in the washer fluid takes a couple extra minutes to dry versus the plain water allowing it to more evenly lay down.I don't use the flotrol you really don't need it with this particular style gun,no problem shooting latex with a touch up gun.
The latex paint can be perfectly computer matched to any color you have,plus the quart you get can do MANY planes !!! Latex is easy to clean,5 minutes from one color to another and you can usually mask over a previous color within the hour without it peeling off when removing the tape !!!!! BONUS !!! no more overnight waiting.
I use a smaller ( Badger ) airbrush for detail,the following plane minus the markings on the side was done in approximately 45 minutes including the underside. The markings took a little longer simply because they were drawn and painted on by hand.
One more advantage latex has over everything else ! PRICE !! $30.00 bought the paint for this bird and I have enough for 5 to 8 more planes, about 8 to 9 dollars for a mixed quart-Sherwin Williams.
Just so you know the plane has a 91 inch wingspan, a little latex goes a L O N G ways.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	74304_7904.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	44544  
Old 04-28-2003, 08:59 PM
SVX

So did you use Latex paint in your airbrush? Thinned the same degree and same psi? And what do you use for a clear coat?
Old 04-28-2003, 09:22 PM
fryfly
My Feedback: (8)

yes I used latex in my airbrush and also shot at approx 35 psi.I haven't used any clear on this plane and probably won't. I have used clear from a can on previously planes but you really don't have to use clear.Remember this is the same stuff you put on the outside of your house and it lasts for 20 years through all weather climates,and the gas after a little while of thorough drying (1 week ) won't affect or lift the paint at all.The only thing that me and a few others have noticed with the latex is that it sucks up the sun and gets a little warmer than other paints while sitting out all day.It doesn't affect wood or fiberglass but thin abs will tend to warp slightly more when painted with latex paint. The latex over time is actually baked on and produces a very long lasting finish and if you ever have to fix a boo boo the colors match perfectly after being redone with no way of telling it was ever really banged up.Other paints can't say that because most others regardless of top coat change hue after a few weeks in the hot summer sun,the exterior latex doesn't.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:18 AM
slammin_sam

SVX-

I've had good luck with Brodak dope. He has a web site you can order form. I thin it at 50/50 with his thinner. A little more thinner for the final coats of clear. I set my gun at 30 PSI.