Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Global Skyraider Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Global Skyraider Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:00 PM
TEBerg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Global Skyraider Build

Morgy,

Your Skyraider looks great. Especially since it’s been flying since 1995… You had a second post show up with a blank for (image)… If you had more photos of her, post them up…

For updates on the current condition of my Skyraider, I’m posting them Here: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8914298/tm.htm]Global Skyraider Repair[/link].

With luck, I’ll have pictures of her flying again next month.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:40 AM
MORGY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take another photo of the Skyraider today and post it. I recently had to give my computer an enema and I lost a bunch of good photos so the ones I posted were scans of pics taken right after I built it. The prop is a TF dummy. I noticed you built yours with flaps. That's neat but the airplane lands great without them. It comes in solid like it's on rails. It also stalls absolutely straight on. I am going to build another one when I have the time and make it AF camelflage. I built mine as per the plans except I completely sheeted the wings. Also. when you rebuild, you ought to reinforce the fuse with carbon fiber right at the trailing edge of the wing as it is the weakest point of the fuse. If you ever need a canopy for it, I can vac form one for you.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:19 PM
MORGY

I don't have a good handle on using this forum and I put this in another place but anyway, here are the pics of my Skyraider I took today. By the way, it's more than 10 yrs old. I built it after seeing the article in the Feb. 1995 M.A.N. so it's 14 years old. I included two other warbirds (I've got a bunch). The SNJ is a TF Gold addition kit that has been discontinued and the SBD is scratch built from Holman plans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50294.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1242472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12037.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1242473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65012.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1242474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16226.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1242475  
Old 07-23-2009, 11:36 PM
TEBerg

The Skyraider looks great for an "old" bird.. And the SBD looks GREAT...

Thanks for posting them up here.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:37 AM
TEBerg

Thanks for the support guys...

It has been two months and the Skyraider is back together and ready to test fly tomorrow.

With luck, she will even be a little better then the first version…

Besides just getting the plane back together I installed a bigger Rx battery and drew Panel Lines on her. That is partly to help cover up the repaired areas. It also has a JR SPCM receiver in her now and the setup seems solid. I got a 100 foot range-check easy and walked out to 160 feet and it did not go into fail safe.

I covered it in the “Crash and Rebuild” section in more detail if you are interested – but the short story is that I had TWO problems with my radio setup. There was a solder short at input cap in the receiver and the transmitter battery lead had a broken connector which caused intermittent power loss and a blown fuse (I previously noted this in the thread, but could not repeat the problem). So, the transmitter does appear to be a possible “direct” cause to the loss of signal. The short at the RX input capacitor may be another item which could also lead to a loss of control, or helped.

With the bigger battery in the plane it balanced with only 6 ounces of lead on the engine mount. The plane still weighed in at 11.5 pounds.

My scale is not the most accurate, but I figure anything over ¼ pound would round up or down, so 11.5 is probably pretty close. The repairs evidently did not add an excessive amount of weight to the bird.

So, here are a couple of photos from tonight showing her with new panel lines and a fresh clear coat.

Let’s see how she behaves this weekend...

Name:	Ec87487.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1268850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38383.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1268851  
Old 09-05-2009, 07:29 AM
MORGY

The plane looks great. I'm sure it will fly well at 11.5lb. Just get it up to full flying speed before you lift off and it will do fine.

Morgy
Old 09-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Jollidude
My Feedback: (39)

Wow Tom,

Very nice job on the rebuild, she's gorgeous!

Cheers!

Jollidude
Old 09-06-2009, 08:13 PM
onsightsigns

Tom,

Great recovery job, looks great!! Tom, I would like to get some good pics of your plane, so that I can use it for my web site. that way I can get the web site up and running for the nomenclature, stars and bars, rivets kits, panel lines, spray mask, watersides, rub on transfers. Just plug en you know. So let me know when we can take some pics OK.
Again great job on the rebuild.

(YHFB) Steve
your heli flying buddy
Old 09-12-2009, 12:09 PM
TEBerg

Thanks guys... This project has definitely become a learning experinece

Steve, I plan on attending the Fresno Warbirds event the second weekend in October.. I'll have the display prop and toilet/bombs there for any photos.

Here is a pic from last weekend at our field. I plan on flying tomorrow to get back to work on scale-looking flight.

Thanks Again...

Name:	Ca81976.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1273612  
Old 09-12-2009, 06:58 PM
speedaholic
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good tom, I ended up selling mine after i banged up the wing, I cant make it to the warbird event as i have woodbadge training for the boyscouts and will be gone all weekend.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:30 PM
TEBerg

The Skyraider picture is out in this month's Model Aviation...

Fun to see her there - but looking a little different because the picture was pre-rebuild.

There was an editorial change that makes the setup sound off. I used a "42-percent" on-board glow driver, where 42% is the company name. They re-wrote the article to read the on-board glow operates when the throttle is below 42 percent.

I'm probably the only one who will read the blurb that close.

Maybe someone will be reading the “Focal Point” submissions and note there is a kit built as one of the projects.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:49 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TEBerg
I thought that plane looked familiar.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:56 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

C
ORIGINAL: TEBerg

Fun to see her there - but looking a little different because the picture was pre-rebuild.

There was an editorial change that makes the setup sound off. I used a ''42-percent'' on-board glow driver, where 42% is the company name. They re-wrote the article to read the on-board glow operates when the throttle is below 42 percent.

I'm probably the only one who will read the blurb that close.

Maybe someone will be reading the “Focal Point” submissions and note there is a kit built as one of the projects.
Congrats on being in this months AMA now it is time to start another Warbird Tom, Man can't have enough
Old 04-24-2010, 10:33 PM
duradad
My Feedback: (40)

Hi Skyraider fans!
I have acquired a perviously owned/flown/repaired Global Skyraider that has some real nasty flight characteristics. The main problem appears to be caused by warped wings. The wing is simply too stiff to warp back into shape, particulary since one of the tips needs a 6 degree correction.

Can anyone help me locate a wing plan so that I may build a new wing?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-06-2010, 05:34 PM
blackboxhobbies

I love this plane and have been looking for the kit for a long time. I was not able to find the kit anywhere. But what I did find was the actual plans, instruction manual, cowl and misc. plastic parts. My only concern is I'm going to have to build this from scratch, which I'm not affraid of. Just trying to figure the best way to cut the wood to make the pieces fit together nice. Any suggestions on the best way to cut the wood from scratch?
Old 05-07-2010, 07:28 PM
onsightsigns

I build from scratch all the time. The way I like to do that is, make a hard plastic or aluminum template of all the parts. That is if your planning to make more then one. The best way to make a perfect kit is, I use kit cutters. http://www.kitcutters.com. Here you can send your plans and tell them how big. ca-bang you have a kit that is a perfect cut kit. I like their work, it make scratch kit building so easy. But if your the type to really scratch build, take your plans to a copy center and have several copy's made, cut them up and use a iron to transfer the copy on the wood. This is the cheaters way. I hope that this helps in your plane building needs. By the way I did all the nomenclature for my friend Tom. if you are at all interested in get these made up contact me at [email protected] or extremescalefx.com, I'm the finish that puts you in the air!!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:42 AM
hellcat 1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen the plans and it would take a little time even with the plans as only two of the wing ribs are shown and very few of the formers. I did rebuild one and had to build half a wing and the fuse new from the back of the wing forward. Still flying it, but it took some doing. If you have a lot of experince you would probably do it.