Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

h-9 p51 flaperons

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 04:52 AM
gene375

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default h-9 p51 flaperons

I have a hanger 9 P-51, with a saito 100, I have set it up to use flaperons, Any idea on how much sholud i start out with or end up with, i have started with 25% but it does not look like much. thanks
Old 04-30-2003, 12:11 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gene, You want spoilerons; the ailerons should go up. If you pushing the Ailerons down you are making the angle of attack of the wing tip higher than the center section. The probability of a stall goes up with your angle of attack, which means you will eventually see a tip stall. If you push the ailerons up that decreases the tip angle of attack, in effect increasing washout and improving stability. While still giving you the drag you want.

I've used as much as I could as long as I don't stall a survo. That means the amount you can use is dependent on your radio. You need to set up the radio so that when the spoilerons/flaperons are on the short end of the movement does not bind the servo. As the cost of your radio goes up the number of options you have on how to do this increase. I'm no radio expert and usually seek the help of the club radio know it all's to set up the Tx to do what I want.

Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2003, 02:29 PM
rottielover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was wondering about this also

I also have the h-9 P51 They call it .60 sized but it's really more like 1.20 4 stroker sized Anyway I haven't purchased an Engine for it yet, I'm very seriously considering the new YS 1.10 when it comes out.

I have a Futaba 8U radio, has tons's of options, I was also thinking flaperons for this, Has anyone else built the kit ? What did you use? Maybe we should get our nerve up and mod the kit to install our own flaps???

Help!
Old 05-15-2003, 03:45 PM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

Is the spoileron kind of like an airbrake, where the ailerons both go up and the elivator goes down. The airbrake is one of the included mixing functions on most computer radios. Or does the airbrake mixing not work on a P51.
I just picked up this H9 P51 and also the Thunder Tiger 91 Four stroke engine. Doing some research for engines to buy for this plane I found that the TT91F is the most cost effective bang for the buck for this airplane. But I think a 1.2 is too big for this plane. If you can afford it get a Y.S. 100
Old 05-15-2003, 04:05 PM
MikeChilson
My Feedback: (2)

Default Re: h-9 p51 flaperons

Originally posted by gene375
I have a hanger 9 P-51, with a saito 100, I have set it up to use flaperons, Any idea on how much should i start out with or end up with, i have started with 25% but it does not look like much. thanks
Gene,

I have flow this bird in the exact configuration your's is and you really don't need any flaperons or spoilerons on this plane. The one I flew had a glow driver, battery pack and other accessories and it floated in on landing without any problems. Just keep the throttle on it and slowdown with your elevator not the throttle.

On takeoff's be sure and use lot's of rudder as the Saito 100 generates a HUGE amount of torque for that light of a plane.

On a final note. I would triple check your retracts... The ones that came on my friends where JUNK. He replaced them with some Great Planes .60 size retracts.

This one is a baby to fly compared to some warbirds...

My 2 cents,
Old 05-15-2003, 06:14 PM
paladin

I second Mikes post, my buddy has one, 8.5# powered by a 1.2 Saito, that without flaps lands just as slow as my Ultra Sport 60. We have also replaced the retracts in his. If it landed any faster those retracts would not hold up. That is where you should spend your time.

Also a 3/16 or 1/4 in spacer (made of lt ply) under the aft mounting lug of your retracts will improve the ground handling 10 fold. With good gear it only needs to be 1/8 in.

Good luck
Old 05-16-2003, 04:46 PM
rottielover

Paladin,

Do you mean the spacer should be under the tail wheel bracket?

Also for others:

I'm thinking about purchasing Robart 606 pnumatic retracts for this bird now that eveyone says the mech's are junk. Robart's website says these are the ones to use, do you concur with that??
Old 05-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default H9 P51 Retracts

I have Robart 605HDs in mine and they work fine.

A 1.20 four stroke is definitely NOT too much for this airplane. I have been running an OS 1.20 Surpass III for an estimated 120 flights since new. No problem whatsoever.

For rottielover: A YS 1.10 would be a superb choice for this plane. It will put out more power than my OS 1.20. With the YS, you will be able to place the fuel tank right over the CG. I really love my YS .63 that I fly in a smaller Corsair. It was perfect right out of the box.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:27 AM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

The O.S. 1.20 is a nice engine and the Y.S. 1.10 is even better but they cost way more than a Thunder Tiger 90 four stroke. You can buy the TT90 and a set of spring air 116 retracts for the price of the O.S. 1.20 or Y.S. 1.10 and you'll still have as much power as you will ever need with this plane.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:36 PM
paladin

The landing gear spacer goes on the back or aft holes of the mains. Your main gear have four mounting holes in them two forward of the mechanisum and two aft of the mechanisum. If you put a light ply spacer between the aft landing gear mounting holes and the mounting block it rotates the gear basicly in place while retrascted, so nothing needs to be changed in the wing. But when the gear come down the wheels will be colser to the leading edge.

Good Luck!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:53 PM
rottielover

Just for an update, I've placed my order for the Robart 606's I finally realizied (with help from aptar) that the 605's are 90 degree and the 606's are 85 degree, the mechs that come with the kit appear to be 85 degree so I figured I'd try the 606's and will see what happens.

I still have my heart set on the YS 1.10 for this plane, besides I can always use it in another plane later!

Now, getting back to the original point of the thread, what radio options if any have you programed for this bird. I've heard you don't need anything special with this bird, just fly it

Has anyone setup airbrake or flaperon / spolieron fuctions for use on this plane, if so how and why?
Old 05-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Holeshot

Spoilerons??? I guess that I'm not understanding why you'd want to go so nose high? If spoilerons are so nice, why do we not see them on real or other R/C planes? Seems like would increase the stall speed.

I thought the idea of using flaps or flaperons was to be able to have a steeper glide slope on landing, along with slowing the stall speed by a good amount.

I'm guessing that this is another area where real planes are different than R/C planes.

As far as your radio options, you have a few free channels with an 8U, maybe a smoke system, bomb drop, or brakes? In-flight mixture control or fuel shutoff are also options. (Perry has those)