Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Going to build the TF giant P-47...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Going to build the TF giant P-47...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 07:27 PM
The Hawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to build the TF giant P-47...

Today I ordered the TF giant scale P-47, this will be my first warbird after some 70" aerobatic planes.

Question:
Does any one have special comments on building this kit, where to pay extra attention, etc.
Can any one advise me on the engine that I should buy, US41 or Fuji BT50 or....

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alexander
Old 04-30-2003, 08:13 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going to build the 1/5 P-47

Hello Alexander,
The Giant scale 1/5 P-47 is a great choice and a terrific flier,exhibiting excellent high and low speed handling characteristics,in addition to rather impressive aerobatic flight characteristics!! Fact is I could'nt be more pleased with the responsiveness of this particular W.W.II fighter. . I'm nearing the finishing stage on my Topflight giant scale Thunderbolt having now installed Spring air #403 retracts,using the templates included . Further, the 1/2"Dia. Robart #673,L&R scale Robo series 500 struts,fit the Spring air 403 retracts, which are reliable,economical and rugged--Regarding power, the US41 is barley adequate power, the Fuji BT50 would be better- . I think the ZDZ 80 would be the best choice,it just fits in the Jugs massive cowl and swinging a Zinger 4 blade "flying" propeller should prove to be very scale like;though not as efficient as a two blade, the ZDZ 80 has plenty of reserve power to swing the 4 blade Zinger with authority. Finally,if you are building the razor back version of the Thunderbolt Tamaya produces a P-47 plastic kit in 1/48 scale,which would provide an excellent scale reference during the building and detailing process...

Fast Richard
Old 05-01-2003, 12:55 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default TF Giant P-47

As with any heavy metal warbird Nose weight should be a consideration.. I wouldn't hesitate to uses a 3w50 or 60 for that plane. Theres a good chance that you may need the weight up front and those engines, along with the DA 50 provide sufficient weight.. I have a Y/A P47 and I have a Tarurus 3.2 for power. It wont be over powered but should fly the plane with authority.. regards BobH.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:17 PM
The Hawk

Thanks Ramcfarland and BobH for your help.

I will go to our neighbor country (Germany) and pickup a ZDZ50 then. But with this one I have to modify the firewall for the carb. right?
I like the Idea to have a electronic ignition because I will try to start it by hand.
I already saw that the BT50 is difficult to start because of the CDI.

What is the advantage to have the spring air 403 gear? will this fit completely in the wing when retracted. I saw some comments that it would not get in the wing completely?
Old 05-01-2003, 02:32 PM
BobH

Default TF P-47

Hawk, Yes you have to modify the firewall for the carburator to extend through... Most likely anyway.. If your cowl is deep enought maybe you dont need to do that.. but most likely you will.
If I were you I wouldn't use a rear mount carb engine in that plane.. I would use a side mount carb engine instead. Since you have a nice large radial cowl.. you have plenty of room for a side mount carb with a side exhaust..
If you need the dimensions of the ZDZ50 check RCShowcase for them.. they have a drawing showing the major dimensions of all the zdz engines.. That will let you know how much room you need from the spinner thrust washer to the firewall.. Hope this helps BobH.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:42 PM
ramcfarland

Alexander the advantage of Spring air retracts are durability and reliability. I.E. all metal construction (no composite plastic) and single line air system with air to retract and an internal spring inside the individual retract air cylinders to deploy your gear to the (down) extended position. Also "Hawk" the spring air accept the Robart#673 1/2" Dia. Robostruts--Truly the best of both worlds!

Richard McFarland AMA52920
Old 05-02-2003, 01:43 AM
swift375
My Feedback: (4)

Default TF Giant P47

Hawk, I just took my Giant P47 up this past weekend. It flew beatifully with a G62 up front. The rest of the airplane was constructed as per the instructions and plans. The only modification was the cut out for the muffler for the engine. You can see the pictures of the finished aircraft in this forum that I posted earlier this week. Keep in touch with us on your project, you'll enjoy it.

Robert
Old 05-04-2003, 03:00 PM
Kirk RC

I have also just started the TF GS P-47. My plan is to run a Moki 2.1 in it and still havnt made up my mind on retract type. Most of my war birds have CJ retracts but I see alot of guys are using Robart and that seems to be what TF recommends in the plans. What have you guys found thats working the best for retracts? Also did you beef up the retract ribs/rails more than what the plans outlined? I have found this to be needed on their 1/7 scale war birds. Thx for the input
Kirk RC
Old 05-05-2003, 01:53 AM
ramcfarland

: I went out to our local field today, the weather was indeed nice. One of our more tallented scale flyer's set up on final approach every thing appeared normal as "Garrie" eased the stick back,while keeping the wings level.. and simultaniously holding his heading with a bit of rudder correction to execute another of his perfect wheel landings...Suddenly that sickening sound as the right main proceeded to breakand collapse- followed by the right wing tip grinding on the asphfault runway followed by the thunderbolt doing a most undignified pivot breaking the propeller. Over the last month or two I have observed this reoccurring phenomena. Garrie continues to dilligently repair and or replace the composite gear block assembly using the replacement gear blocks,as supplied for a fee by Robart manufacturing Co... Perhaps an aluminum block is available--- do let me know in order that I can relay to Garrie as to where he can get the needed fix;the retract block seemingly the 'weak link." Having observed Garies dilemma for several months now, I sellected the Spring air #403 units which are larger over all than the 103's retract in conjunction with the sturdy, rereliableand scale lke (functioning) Robo struts: PN#'s:673L&R As I told Garrie today the necessary templates are supplied thus enabling the Spring air #403s to fit right in. So do your selves afavor an go with the Spring air retract t and in conjunction the Robart struts plus their rather nice 5' Dia. wheel aan tires. Well time permitting, it is back to the rapidly progressing Top Flite 1/5 scale P-47 Razor back and I do think I will select another Roberrt S Johnson scheme olive drab this time instead natural aluminum , which thought fantastic appearances difficult to duplicate though My 1/7 scale Thunderbolt as appears in rcwarbird fighter gallery click on P-47's
Old 05-05-2003, 03:15 PM
Kirk RC

I have had this problem in spades with Robart. It seems the plastic breaks around the mounting holes than the whole bracket pivots and tears out of the mounting rails. I've had this happen on very smooth landings and just couldn't believe it! The good news is the replacement bracket is cheap ( and cheap) and I only have one bird with Robart and that will be the last. The new version of CJ retract is the only way to go in my opinion.
Kirk RC
Old 05-05-2003, 04:48 PM
BobH

Default P-47

FYI for Robart users.. Sierra has aluminum replacement parts for some of Robart gear. Specifically the plastic block used with the large scale P-51 gear set. He may have others also.. won't hurt to ask. Darrell is very accomidating.. Regards BobH.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:53 PM
GaSeminole

hey everyone.. yeah our local hobby shop suggested the g62 for power. I just bought the giant p-47 and after I finish the stinson I have just started I will be tackling the jug.. Can't wait as I have loved p-47's for over 25 years after a friend told me to read Thunderbolt by Johnson..I sure am glad you guys are warning us builders about the retract issue..thanks and good luck to everyone...Jim
Old 05-08-2003, 02:13 PM
BobH

Default TF P-47

If you want bullet proof Gear, try Sierra. They will cost more but they are pretty much State of the Art at the moment. BobH.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:51 PM
GaSeminole

concerning the landing gear doors there is a link through the TF page that tells you how to modify the gear doors to fit flush. I'll try to find it and let all know if interested..
Old 05-21-2003, 08:14 PM
The Hawk

Fast Richard wrote:
"I sellected the Spring air #403 units which are larger over all than the 103's retract in conjunction with the sturdy, rereliableand scale lke (functioning) Robo struts: PN#'s:673L&R"

Question:
Will this set completely fit in the wing when retracted? Is it then still possible to have nice gear doors that closes completely the hole in the wing? If someone has some pictures of this gear-set installed in the TF P-47 please post them? I trying to make a decision which gear set to use for my TF 1/5 P-47.

Thank for your help...

Alexander
Old 05-21-2003, 09:18 PM
ramcfarland

The Spring air 403's drop right in and when the angle of the retract beams are adjusted(a bit of geometry here) the gear doors will fit completely flush with the bottom wing skins. Also Spring air's 403's as sold for the 1/5 giant scale P-47 includes photos showing the installation of their mains as well as their tail wheel retract; and templates are included inorder that you make new 1/8" plywood reinforcement ribs replacing the ones provided with the kit for Robart's units which are also per Top flite plan laminated to the left and right sides of wing ribs 5 and 6--------- Regardless who's gear you chose ,a bit of adjusting (you know trim and fit) before permanently epoxying of the retract beams between wing ribs 5 and 6 will ensure a flush fit of the gear doors with the bottom wing skins. I hope this helps. I flew my "1/7" scale P-47 again yesterday prior to our club meeting and continue to be impressed with this war birds flight characteristics which I venture to say will be all the better with the 1/5 Giant scale version...Hope this helps-
Old 05-22-2003, 09:11 PM
The Hawk

Richard,

Thanks for your great help so far, is it possible to post the photo's you are mentioning of the "spring air" installed in the P-47.

If I'm right you already bought this Spring air system for your p-47, can you list the parts that where included when got it from spring air? Meaning do I have to Buy the air tank, valve, tubing, etc.

Thanks

Alexander
Old 05-23-2003, 02:29 AM
ramcfarland

Alexander,

Spring air included the air tank,valve and tubing with their 403's as sold for Top Flite's giant scale1/5 P-47 Thunder bolt. My Spring airs are installed and I will try to get some digital pictures of it before I sheet the bottom of the 47's wing.

Thanks,

Richard
Old 05-23-2003, 12:02 PM
GaSeminole

Default gear doors

If you go to the top flite website ( top-flite.com) and in the search area put p-47 and hit enter, youwill get a bunch of stuff. Look for the giant thunderbolt TOPA0415 tech notice and click on it. You will see one way to make gear doors fit flush. Not the most scale but gets you doors.