Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Vailly FW190A Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Vailly FW190A Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 10:34 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vailly FW190A Project

Ok Guys since i am stalled on my Hurricane waiting on the retracts I will be whipping out 3 FW 190's. These are from Vailly plans and 1 will stop at glassing 1 will be finished all the way through with scale goodies etc the other will be working to painting and will be up for grabs. My kits shipped today so I expect them by saturday or monday. You can follow the project at my site at http://home.mchsi.com/~jahuntley/fw190/fw190.html

I will be building these simultaneously with a completion date goal of june 2oth on the one that is up to the glassed stage so that when my buddy comes down to our scale event on June 22 I can hand it over to him then. This plane purchases my ZDZ 80 for my Hurricane. The rest I hope to finish with paint and details shortly after that.

I also added a new page to my projects page and that is a materials list and pricing of the project. So far the price of one of the planes has reached $1,393.00 and thats not including paint prices and balsa sheeting and sticks. That is plans, shortkit, retracts,glass parts, canopy, fan unit and main wheels

Will keep you up to date on this project as i adjust website and kits arrive. I will as usual be running my webcam for these projects and it will more than likely be on more than my other projects as I will be having all my stuff (hopefully) as I start construction so I wont have to stop and wait for stuff.

Joe
Old 05-03-2003, 06:33 PM
ProfLooney

Default Live

Live from Illinois its Saturday Nite!!!! with your Host ProfLooney Check your local tv listings for time in your area

hehehe Anyways plane fans my 3 kits have arrived!!!!! 1 box 27 lbs worth of wood of course theres 3 shortkits in there and you can check out my FW projects page for a pic of the shortkit http://home.mchsi.com/~jahuntley/fw190/fw190.html

I am cleaning up the shop and organizing then move my shop puter back to the shop and the allmighty tv set down there and should be up and running live between 5 pm and 7 pm CST which for you foreigners is -6 GMT.

In tonights episode your host will attempt to have 3 fuses framed by tomorrow morning. now this may be a little slower and be the afternoon because the crutch is different for these planes and will take me a little looking into but if everything works out ok will accomplish mission

Joe
Old 05-04-2003, 04:18 AM
ProfLooney

Default fuses

Well i guess wont be getting fuses all done tonight. seems when I vectored the parts I forgot 2 fuse formers. Jesse got them cut tonight for all 3 planes along with the dashes and said he will get them out monday so I should have them by tuesday. I am still working on the fuses getting them on the crutch then will put them off to the side for a couple days. in the mean time tomorrow I will build the tailfeathers and then start the wings plenty of stuff to keep busy.

Joe
Old 05-06-2003, 12:41 AM
ProfLooney

Default update

Well guys I just need to make a heads up. the plans say the crutch sb 35 3/16" from back of wing saddle and its not right at least until i get told opposite when I can contact Roy. I found this out by measuring off my crutch and cut it and notched it then when i set it over the top view to mark the former locations found out it was 1 inch short and SB 36 3/16" i double checked this with the side view which came to be 36" even now there will be a discrepency in the top and side view due to curvature of the crutch on the top view. Thus if you build one check your length with the plans dont trust the given measurement it may be a "typo".

That said I have the 3 verticle fins built, 2 stabs built, and am working on the rudders and elevators tonight then do the ailerons. One thing I noticed is that i slightly misread the plans when vectoring for the shortkit and added the curved ends to the elevators. in reality they Should stop at e10 and then hard balsa blocks put on the end and carved to shape. this wont hurt nothing just give you a little extra wood in the shortkit if you get it from jesse :0) I will however correct this in the next couple days. so far the projects have been speeding along despite of redoing a couple things like stated above. I will be doing the wings next and expect the retracts for 1 plane this week so i can use those to fit all the wings so I can finish them up and they can always be screwed in later when Darrell at Sierra has more available.

I want to thank all the guys who been watching my progress and messaging me with yahoo messenger with tips and ideas they have found out from their builds i need all the help i can get

Joe
Old 05-06-2003, 05:56 AM
ProfLooney

Default Some Pics

K guys tail feathers done except blocks for tips will do them after rest of plane cause i wanna get to the wings and frame the entire thing first.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	76214_2431.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	44945  
Old 05-06-2003, 05:57 AM
ProfLooney

Default pic2

pic2

Name:	76215_2431.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	44946  
Old 05-06-2003, 05:57 AM
ProfLooney

Default pic3

pic3

Name:	76216_2431.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	44947  
Old 05-06-2003, 05:58 AM
ProfLooney

Default pic4

pic4

Name:	76217_2431.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	44948  
Old 05-06-2003, 10:41 AM
Wulfman
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Prof, you're kickin' @$$! Slow down, you're making me feel self conscious about how slow I build.

Keep up the good work!

SC
Old 05-06-2003, 04:02 PM
ProfLooney

Default building

thanks Wulf I had to stop last night abt 2 am had to take aunt to hosp uncle had to undergo emeg surg. so i stopped at 2 then got home abt 6 and now its noon and time to whip out 3 wings today

Joe
Old 05-07-2003, 07:42 AM
ProfLooney

Default UPDATE

Ok Guys Update. I talked with Roy this evening after he had just got back from Top Gun and vacation and mentioned the 1" descrepancy. He told me I was the second person in the last 2 months that mentioned it and he changed it on his master. What he thought was so funny about the entire deal was that out of 4 yrs and hundreds of plans only two of us mentioned the error to him. Take that as a note, if you guys find a real error on the plans that really sticks out please drop the designer a polite email pointing out the error. They may not realize its there without feedback from us the end users. Anyways My friend ordered all the glass parts from him and roy said i would get them sometime in the next 3 weeks as he has to catch up on everything. My goal date is still June 20th but no later than the 21st and if things go wekk I should make it. in 3 days I have the tail feathers for all 3 framed up, the fuse crutch assemblies ready for when my missing parts arrive this week, and the wing pieces all ready and the first panel pinned to the boad waiting for me to run to hobby shop for more 1/4" and 1/2" sheets. Go figure, I have abt 10 sheets of 3/8 balsa and the stuff the plane takes I am out of. well tomorrow is run to shop and get wood. I was hoping to have the wings and fuses all framed up by the weekend thus leaving installation of retracs, fuel tank, and other small stuff and sheet and glass and be done at least with 2 of them the third will be through painting. but it seems my neice is graduationg college this weekend so I will be out of town and wont get to finish til next week. I guess 2 weeks to frame up and glass 3 planes is still pretty good. but i will take my time as I have a month so why rush things.

Joe
Old 05-09-2003, 04:39 AM
ProfLooney

Default Update

Update time ok I finally got things uploaded to my construction page http://home.mchsi.com/~jahuntley/fw190/fw190.html I updated the fuse, stab and Rudder pages. I took a couple days off to do some vectoring and wait on ups. tomorrow UPS arrives and G62 and retracts will be on the truck at least engine is hoping retracts will be too. I also recieved the missing fuse formers today and got more wood and glue etc so ready to dig in again. Will be taking off this weekend for my neices graduation but hope to get a lot done in the next week and be ready for sheeting and glassing.

Joe
Old 05-09-2003, 06:11 PM
ProfLooney

Default Website Update

Well I got 1 fuse done last night will finishe the other two this afternoon. I just updated my website the fuse,wing,retracts, rudder and stab links on my site http://home.mchsi.com/~jahuntley/fw190/fw190.html

There are some very nice closeups of the retracts which come From Sierra precision for anyone curious about them for this project or others. I swear I could run over these things with my van and wouldnt even phase them. they are the strongest, best constructed retracts i have ever seen.

Joe
Old 05-10-2003, 02:33 AM
ProfLooney

Default fuses

I gonna be gone tomorrow to a neices grad so notmuch be going on the webcam but I will keep it going. I have the 3 fuses doen and all lined up with the cam shooting at them. I hope to get the wings framed up by monday night then try and figure out the retracts. I don't see how they will fit without a lot of altering but am told it can be done so this should be fun. catch yallwhen i get back in town.

Joe
Old 05-12-2003, 06:30 AM
ProfLooney

Default Update

well I got all the wing panels done and 1 wing joined. tomorrow or should i say later today will work on joining the other 2 wings together. there are a few minor adjustments I will have to make and then will also have to do a little fudging for the retracts though not much but other than that all the major framing is done and I have nothing noteworthy to mention to watch for as of yet.

One thing I will be checking into is the retract tailwheel installation. Roy shows a fixed tailwheel in there and when I tried to place the retract tailwheel it looked to me like it will need some major reengineering. it is a tight fit as i was told but that wont be a problem. What i noticed is the fuse former it mounts too seems too close for a retract wheel so I may have to move it. I will be giving Roy a call this week and ask him about the placement as I dont see how the tailwheel will install as is. as soon as all this boody rain stops I will be setting them all up on the patio in formation for a photo shoot. so far the weather says be too windy tomorrow but tuesday is supposed to be sunny and nice so look for the pics around tues night.

Joe
Old 05-13-2003, 01:09 AM
ProfLooney

Default more pics

Heres a couple pics from club meeting tonight. I took 1 of the FW and my Hurricane. it was windy as hell but they sorta stayed put. will try to get better pics if it nice tomorrow as I can do a good overhead view from 2nd story here at the house that overlooks the patio.

Joe

Name:	78050_2431.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	44949  
Old 05-13-2003, 01:09 AM
ProfLooney

Default next pic

heres the next pic

Name:	78051_2431.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	44950  
Old 06-01-2003, 04:29 AM
p-47d-25

Hi Joe, I just bought one of the FW190 kits from Jesse the other day. (Can't wait for it to arrive) When you think about the price he charges, you cannot beat it with a balsa stick.
If everything goes as planned, Laser Lizard will become my primary supplier of short kits. I will never, ever cut my own kit again. Don't have the patience to cut out every single piece. Takes too long.
Did Roy say if the corrected plans were available yet? I will mention this when ordering. I will be following your site and this thread closely when building this plane. Between you and Evan Quiros, I will always learn something new. Your guys' websites are very informative.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 06-01-2003, 01:34 PM
ProfLooney

Default FW190

Nick what retracts were you gonna use? I dont know about the adjusted plans Roy is on hiatus til after the stanley cup playoffs :0) but i have redrawn his plans for him and they still show the fixed tailwheel. I think he plans on leaving it as it is probably because of so many different types of retracts out there or maybe he will adjust them himself now that they are already in cad. if you get the retracts from Darrell at sierra I would advise building the wing first and the tailfeathers and wait on the fuse til you get the retract tailwheel. Darrell sends patterns for 2 formers for the fuse for the retract tailwheel. if you going to use the sierra retract tail wheel I would get with jesse and ask him to send you the 2 modified parts for it as i vectored them for him so he can cut them for you and send them out. I need to tell him to label them for sierra retract tailwheel and add them with the kits. since I just got them and sent them to him he may have forgot to add them to the kit. what it is is the very last former (the finpost i will call it is taller and marked with 4 holes to mount the cylinder onto and the next to last one is bigger and will be mounted further forward on the fuselage than the supplied one to accomodate the mounting of the retract part itself. i hope to get my parts from jesse this week and will be posting the modification on my website.

Joe
Old 06-01-2003, 01:58 PM
p-47d-25

Joe, I think I will give Sierra precision a try. I bought Robarts for my P-47 with serious regrets. Anyway, I will contact Jesse to see what I need to do from here. I would like to incorporate SPC retracts in this airplane. I will start on the wing first, I will have to wait on retracts for some time. In all honesty, I should wait until I have retracts and engine in hand before I start building anything. You know us anxious builders don't have the patients to wait.
Have you seen any problems with the wings as you were building them?

Nick
Old 06-01-2003, 02:14 PM
ProfLooney

Default problems

no there wasnt any problems with the entire plane. you might check your kit i dunno if i just had him make it for the kits or not but I had done up a washout jig and had him cut it for me. but it wasnt in the standard location onder the rear spar it was designed for just in front of it so i could easily mount the spar with the washout jig in front of it. if it isnt in there its no big deal to make your own but you might look just in case you dont have to. i emailed jesse told him to hurry on mine and that he needs to send you a set of adjusted formers. it will be trial and error as there are no notches marked on them and no location given other than the obvious tailpost one. but the plane builds super easy. one thing I did alter was for most of the spruce i changed it to har balsa (talking for fuse stringers and such) as once the fuse is sheeted and glassed it will be very strong and no need for the excess weight of the spruce since the stringers are there to just hold the fuse together for sheeting more than adding any real strength and my main crutch was made of spruce but i think he shows that on the plans. when you do your fuse his crutch method is slightly diff than Zirolis in that he doesnt build it on top of the board so make sure everything lines up good and doesnt tweek off at an angle. read my fuse construction page and look at the pics for help with this. OH and one last thing yes there is an error on the plans and depending how long ago you got the plans whether he had time to adjust them on your copy or not and that is the length of the crutch. he has the wrong dimensions on it for total length of the crutch. i dont know if i mentioned it on my fuse page or not you might look and when i get home later today will look on my plans for the correct length as i am sure i changed it there.

Joe
Old 06-03-2003, 03:04 AM
planemaker

Have any unwanted rc pieces or parts. I have posed a want add for my sons science project but no replies! How about you!
Old 06-10-2003, 01:42 AM
p-47d-25

Have you been working on the FW's? When will you be posting pics of the wing? I haven't received my FW from Jesse yet. I'm in no big hurry, just excited. I ordered all my wood from Balsa USA last-night per your materials list. I also ordered the plans last-night from Vailly as well. Hope to see some pic's of the FW's and the Hurricane soon.

Later

Nick
Old 06-10-2003, 01:45 AM
ProfLooney

Default FW's

Well I got my glass parts and the fan unit and all that from roy last week as well as the special parts for the retracts from jesse. I had a deck to finish for a lady and hopefully wed night be back in the shop bustin loose. tomorrow have too many honeydos to do lol

Joe
Old 06-12-2003, 08:05 PM
p-47d-25

Default They're Here!!!!!

Well almost.. I just received the Vailly FW190 plans, and all the wood listed on your website. Jesse emailed me today and said the it is on it's way. When I get the kit I will post to let you know all the excitement in my house. Minus my wife's excitement. Any time I get excited over my airplanes, she has this serious poker straight face, and if looks could kill, I would have never been able to order the FW in the first place.

I just ordered her a really nice digital camera for her birthday, I will be able to post pics on my progress. I don't have to worry about her finding this post, she won't go near anything related to RC. The really nice camera was to negate the really nice FW coming my way.

Later,

Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.