Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

oh crap, another

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:59 PM
R/CBOONE72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oh crap, another

Saturday, I put a maiden on my 7th scale topflight p-51d ARF. I had rebuilt it after a friend crashed it cause the engine quit and hit power lines, he gave me the airplane, took me 2 weeks to get it done. I went and bought all new servos, a nd=ew D.A. 50 for it and then monokote, glue and all those little thing, I recken aout a grand invested. My first flight was a little squirly, my first war bird flight, only flew about 6 minuts, the engine being new was really burbly, did not trust it to run, landed for a few hours, flew other stuff, all going good, leaned the engine, fueled it up and went again, had another 6 minte flight. I landed, leaned it, and took off again and that would be the last take off it would ever have,

I was on the third minute and attemted the first roll, I used no elevator, keep the stress of of it, even know I know there was noting wrong, it was slow smooth roll. I came around and did it again, 4th minute of flight, about 300ft off the ground, upside down, the wing just as gracfully a could be, came off. I just went to another world holding my transmitter watching the lawn darn fly straight for awhile, I was still trying to fly it and land it on its side with elevater and rudder, it did hit about 70 degree angle, anly lost about 90 dollars, the airplane was free, just glue, monokote, 2 switches, and wood is all I lost, the engine was not hurt, the wing came down, did not hurt it.

After inspection, it was found that the pins at the front of the wong were not glued from factory, we looked thru the book, did not see where it said to do this, they had came out the front, and the plstics bolts could not hold the wong in with the heavy fuse hanging under neath. It sheard the heads of the bolts, id till have it if it had metal bolts, so if you have plastic, id change to metal bolts. I don't have pics or vids, so sad.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:00 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oh crap, another

IF YOU DONT KNOW YOU HAVE TO EPOXY THE WING HOLD DOWN DOWELS WOW BUILD A FER GUILLOW KITS PLEASE. thE AFR GENERATION IN ACTION
Old 04-21-2008, 04:13 PM
kahloq

if you had a da50 in it, its not the 1/7th size, but the 1/5th
Old 04-21-2008, 05:42 PM
The Mouth

i dont think metal bolts would have helped much here i think the mounting block would have broken out and the wing would have flown off anyways
Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM
The Mouth

and by the way the manual does say to glue in your wing dowels.

check page 15 on the top right below the picture of the wing with them glued in
Old 04-22-2008, 12:40 AM
venom290

Hey mouth, where do you fly? I'm right down the road from you in Thompson ct.
Also run boats down on Quaddick lake if interested.
venom
Old 04-22-2008, 03:48 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Ouch! That is an important thing to do on ALL models.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 AM
G-Pete

ORIGINAL: R/CBOONE72
Saturday, I put a maiden on my 7th scale topflight p-51d ARF. I had rebuilt it after a friend crashed it cause the engine quit and hit power lines, he gave me the airplane, took me 2 weeks to get it done. I went and bought all new servos, a nd=ew D.A. 50 for it and then monokote, glue and all those little thing, I recken aout a grand invested. My first flight was a little squirly, my first war bird flight, only flew about 6 minuts, the engine being new was really burbly, did not trust it to run, landed for a few hours, flew other stuff, all going good, leaned the engine, fueled it up and went again, had another 6 minte flight. I landed, leaned it, and took off again and that would be the last take off it would ever have,
I was on the third minute and attemted the first roll, I used no elevator, keep the stress of of it, even know I know there was noting wrong, it was slow smooth roll. I came around and did it again, 4th minute of flight, about 300ft off the ground, upside down, the wing just as gracfully a could be, came off. I just went to another world holding my transmitter watching the lawn darn fly straight for awhile, I was still trying to fly it and land it on its side with elevater and rudder, it did hit about 70 degree angle, anly lost about 90 dollars, the airplane was free, just glue, monokote, 2 switches, and wood is all I lost, the engine was not hurt, the wing came down, did not hurt it.
After inspection, it was found that the pins at the front of the wong were not glued from factory, we looked thru the book, did not see where it said to do this, they had came out the front, and the plstics bolts could not hold the wong in with the heavy fuse hanging under neath. It sheard the heads of the bolts, id till have it if it had metal bolts, so if you have plastic, id change to metal bolts. I don't have pics or vids, so sad.

Sorry for your loss my friend,

So, a DA 50 in a 1/7 scale, huh?

300 feet high and an angle of 70 degree, this accumulates to (no wing) about 50mph.
DA 50
Spinner for P51
$30
Propeller
$30

…looks like you are more out the pocket.

Besides, a small advice here – sent the 50 in to desert aircraft and they will check this engine if there are any damage. This service is pretty much free and worth the wait (8 to 10 days)

Happy landings
G-Pete
Old 04-22-2008, 02:17 PM
The Mouth

venom i fly at woodstock airport you must fly at the industrial park in killingly

used to fly there field is too small for my planes now i also know a lot of the guys from that club i might already know you lol

Jesse Russell
Old 04-22-2008, 05:12 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

i want to know why my comment was deleted on this thread. I simply said if you dont know to epoxy the wing mount dowls in the wing then you should not be flying this airplane. Bax what was wrong with that comment. THe arf generation cannot repair anything its well ill order a new wing. This hobby is going downhill and craftsmanship is becoming non existant.

also how can you have a DA engine in a 1/7 p-51. ? arf kits do not include plans or ant templates for repair thats so you buy a new wing instead of fixing what you have
Old 04-23-2008, 09:35 AM
IL2windhawk

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

i want to know why my comment was deleted on this thread. I simply said if you dont know to epoxy the wing mount dowls in the wing then you should not be flying this airplane. Bax what was wrong with that comment. THe arf generation cannot repair anything its well ill order a new wing. This hobby is going downhill and craftsmanship is becoming non existant.
Before it was deleted I read your original post, and I also thought it was over-board. Just because the poor fellow missed a step in the building process doesn't mean you should chide him. I'm sure he feels the consequences well enough. Most of us can sympathize with this sort of experience from our own building mistakes. That is the hobby.

And I fail to understand why builders are so threatened by the ARF movement. There will ALWAYS be craftsman who are willing to kit-build and scratch-build, no matter how many ARFs are available on the market.