Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

one servo or two

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 12:45 PM
harman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one servo or two

In the plans for my 1/7 tf corsair it says to use one servo for the ailerons. Now that I have it done I hear I should have use one servo per aileron. The plans showed using only the one. Should I leave it this way or rip it out and start over. thanks Harmen
Old 05-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Mustang Man-RCU

Default one servo or two

Harman,
I'm always in favor of using one servo per aileron on anything other than a 40 size trainer. You probably won't have any problems with it the way it is but at the first opportunity I would change it to one per aileron.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:16 PM
shupack

Default one servo or two

I did 2 servos in mine for simplicity, there's a lot of places to develop slop in the stock setup, especially from the sharp angle between the plane the servo horn rotates on, and the line the ny-rods go down into the wings on. if you havn't sheeted it yet, change it now, it'll be easy, if you have sheeted the wings, decide wether it'll be worth your trouble, but once those bellcranks start getting sloppy you'll have to cut into the wing one way or the other.

2 servos is the lighter setup too, by 2 oz (i weighed them both)
2 mini servos, and linkage to the horn, and plastic flush surface mounts vs. 1 standard servo, proper lengths of nyrod, bell-cranks, pushrods, and bellcrank mounting plates and bolts.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:31 PM
harman

Default one servo or two

thanks guys I have the plane completed now but I will wait and watch for any slop to show up. thanks for the input. Harmen
Old 05-04-2003, 07:09 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Default one servo or two

Harmen, I wouldn't worry to much about the setup that you have now, its a warbird not a pattern plane, you won't have to worry about doing precision aerobatics. Although 2 servo's may be a little more reliable than a single servo, I've never had a servo go out without some kind of warning just make sure that you check your control surfaces between every flight and you'll be fine. I think there is a trend of "over powering" control surfaces lately, not that its a bad thing but people should know that one servo for each aileron is not a requirement. For example the Byron Original Jets were set up for 1 aileron servo at least the F-16 and the F-86 were I owned both of them. And those planes were capabal of flying over 100 mph. Many were sold and still flying today. So I would say don't worry about the setup expecially if you've already built the plane.... just my 2 cents.

Michael