Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Meister Scale 108/118" ZERO

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Meister Scale 108/118" ZERO

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:32 PM
pittss3s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Meister Scale 108/118

Tomorrow the engine run and if all goes well she flies! I chose to fly her before all the final detail work which is still to come. The weathering, gear doors, fuel tank, exhaust stacks, smoke system, much canopy and windshield work plus a thousand other things to do before she is right. Lets see how well she flies first. Will report tomorrow.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:34 AM
vease

Good luck on the test flight, it looks great

remember the flap/elevator mix required. Other than that they fly superb.

Here's a pic for inspiration

Gregg

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89119.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1283146  
Old 09-27-2009, 06:23 AM
Scott Prossen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on a fine piece of work. I've watched the thread since the beginning. The Zero looks the part for sure. After all the details are done it will be ready for the movies. Remake "Tora, Tora, Tora" and you have a star in the waiting! Good luck with the maiden...all the Meister's seem to fly real smooth and easy. At least the couple I've flown.

All the best,

Scott

PS: If you decide you don't like it??? I'm up in Tampa and would gladly take her off your hands. Me and a thousand other guys!
Old 09-27-2009, 06:45 AM
Stuka Jon N
My Feedback: (33)

Bravo, Bravo, " VICTOR,VICTOR,VICTOR" Stuka Jon and Little Matt
Old 09-27-2009, 12:42 PM
CHAWKJIM

Here's the first flight on the Zero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWY4RS4jiNM
Old 09-27-2009, 07:03 PM
CHAWKJIM

Here are a few more photo's

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWY4RS4jiNM]VIDEO[/link]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91930.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1283641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47537.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1283642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71678.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1283643  
Old 09-27-2009, 11:03 PM
pittss3s

First flight:

The plane flew right off the bench straight and true a testament to Meister Scale and the fantastic piloting skills of our 17 year old test pilot Matt. The final weight came in at 45 lbs. which is a bit heavy but acceptable. I have a big problem with the power/prop combination though. We are running a Fuji BT 86 twin turning a Solo 24" 3 blade which turned up at 5600 static rpm with an 8 pitch dialed in. She just got off the ground and barely made it around for two circuits before the landing. I hope this is just a pitch problem since the engine sounded good and strong in flight. Next flight we will try a Fuji 24/10 two blade which I hope will rectify the problem otherwise she needs a bigger power plant. The flight characteristics even in her diminished state were superb, no flaps were used for the landing and she had plenty of lift and just floated in. this is a power problem pure and simple, and I cant wait to get that rectified so we can explore the full potential of this great A/C. Thanks again Matt for a great job, with out you at the sticks today we would have been picking up a lot of lumber out at the field today. See you on Sun.

Regards:

a grateful Jim
Old 09-28-2009, 09:03 AM
MattN

Thanks Jim,
Some justly recognition goes to you as well Jim, for some reason every plane that you own, every test flight, I do not have to make a single adjustment trim wise during flight. I think that I would have had a much harder time if I had to make trim adjustments wile trying to fly that airplane on how slow it was.
The plane itself flew on it's wing, and that will prove to everyone how well Meister's can fly "Nothing flies like a Meister!"really what it means. I think that if it were any other builder series, or even something like a Mustang, we would have been picking pieces.
Thanks to Meister, and thanks to Jim for another sucsessful flight! It can only get better from here.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:13 PM
mrstude

Great first flight Jim ! She looked great. A little slow but that really made it look scale in the air !!!!! I loved having the 4 blade on my mustang but have realized, the 2 blade really makes it scream. Hopefully a 2 blade will help the Zero too.
She is beautiful
Old 09-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Scott Prossen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim, congratulations once again for the fantastic flight results. The young pilot really says a lot about you as a builder with that compliment. That's about the best thing I guy could say about another RC hobbyist. Sorry to hear about the lack of performance the engine gave you. Hope it's just a prop thing and you get her screaming along in no time.

I would love to see a Moki 150 in there. That plane and all the Meister round cowls seem to be made for the 150. I just changed out a Q100 for a Moki 150 on a Mstr P-47 and the results were fantastic. The sound and performance were worth not eating for 9 months so I could afford the engine. What a sweet match it would be for that beautiful Zero. Good luck with the Zero. We are all very jealous. Thanks for the video!

If you're interested, here's a thread full of info on the Moki Radials. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89..._1/key_/tm.htm

Happy Landings,
Scott
Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 PM
pittss3s

Scott:

Thanks for the kind words, lets hope the prop change will do the trick, if not I may have a home for your DA-100.

Regards:

Jim
Old 10-04-2009, 07:35 PM
pittss3s

Flights 3&4 today.

What a difference with the right prop. We used a solo 22" two blade with a 10 pitch dialed in and now she screams! We can now report on the true flight characteristics. Using the control throws right off the plans, she performs beautifully with no bad habits at all straight as an arrow, goes where you point her and as if on rails. Slow flight is stable but when flaps are deployed it needs a touch of down elevator, we mixed that in as per Vease ( thanks for the tip buddy ). Matt conducted the test flights again today with his usual rock steady hand and had her doing rolls, loops hammer heads with ease. I even took the sticks and with my degraded flying skills ( to much building and not enough flying time the last 6 months ) I was thrilled with the way she treated me. I cant say enough about how well this aircraft is designed and what a true delight it was to build. Thanks Dino for all your support. I`ts back to the shop to finish the thousand little details left to be completed. For all of you out there building this superb model, keep up the good work it`s well worth the time and effort.

Dino: I need to cut a new spinner for the two blade, I`ll contact you.

Regards all :

Jim
Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 PM
MattN

Come to find out that the mistake last week was that we were at 0 pitch, insted of a 10 pitch or a 8 pitch.
Plane flew 100% better than it did last week. Reading, you guys were right that it balloned big time when flaps were extended and tended to lift the airplane and on the second landing, bounced a couple of times. Sierra gear worked well on that landing. We did not add rudder mix and on the first flight it was a real noticed, as the plane (of all things) started to get smaller. Added the mixed and it flew much better.
High speed went from about 45mph to about 75mph. Fuji Bt-86 is a great engine for that, and I see no probelms with keeping that engine in there, and it fits great in the cowl.

Good times today, only thing I see wrong in Jim's post was that it were only on 3rd flight, I only flew it once last week, this week I flew it twice.

And Jim, don't forget to add expo in those ailerons, if you want set it on a switch for high and low and that way, I can have no expo, and you can fly it with expo. The airplane is great Jim, and I can't wait for more planes from you.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:24 PM
carrera mike

Thumbs up

Beautiful build! I know this is an old post.

love this angle. Shows the wingspan beautifully.

Last edited by carrera mike; 10-16-2013 at 06:31 PM.