Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Byron P-51 w/reduction drive questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Byron P-51 w/reduction drive questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 02:59 AM
rcob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron P-51 w/reduction drive questions

I have a few questions for the P-51 w/reduction drive owners. I'll start with this, what are all of you're empty weight's coming out at and tell if you have lead in the plane? Have any of you guy's had trouble with the drive unit's bolt's coming loose in-flight? How often do you see this happen if and when? What is the sign you get if this happen's. Is the Q 42 a pretty reliable (in flight) motor? how long are the flight's with the stock fuel tank's? Do any of you guy's fly of dirt stripp's and if so do you find it suck's up the rock's realy bad like some smaller planes do? Do I need to worry about flutter of any kind say in a full throtle dive? Are there any Byron P-51 w/reduction drive owners that fly hear in Arizona if so could you contact me so that I can make sure I don't stuff it in the ground on the first go? I'm at 1500 ft ubove sea level do I need to worry about the thiner air with this low performing set up? (I'm in it for the look by the way!) I've got a lot of good advice already from this place so I though I would throw all this out there and see what kind of help I can get. I hear of people flying the P-51 for years and years I need to know what you're doing right. Thanks in advance everyone ...Rob [email protected]
Old 05-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

A few questions?

Do a search for the Byron Mustang on this site. All this stuff has been covered in many, MANY threads.

-Mustang51
Old 05-06-2003, 12:33 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Quick answers:
Mine came out at 25 lbs which includes about 2 lbs of lead in the nose for balance.
I've never heard of the drive system coming apart. I cleaned everything and used blue locktite.
My tank was a 24 oz Graupner. Since most guys fly around 3/4 throttle, you'll burn more fuel than you think. A lot depends on your weight. Do the 1st flight for 5 min, see how much you have left, increase the time until you have enough for a safe reserve, like two go around's.
It takes off from grass OK. The rougher the field, the more beating the l/g will get. The nylon bolts are designed to shear so the gear will break out of the wing if there is a real hard landing, although the upper l/g legs have been known to break in a hard landing. If you fly in a dirty/dusty environment, the engine will inhale the dirt like any other engine.
Never heard of flutter problems as long as you counter balance the ailerons as shown in the instructions.
It's a high maintenance model. You have to check EVERYTHING after every couple of flights. It vibrates a lot, depending on how good your drive system is set up.
You don't see a lot of Byron P-51's since they've been out of production a long time. It's an "old tech" kit, but the four bladed prop is still "interesting".
Good luck,
Jon
Old 05-06-2003, 01:47 PM
rcob

Mustag51 I did look and found a few coment's like I had said in my post. I don't remember seeing anything about %70 of my questions thou. But thank's for you're advice.