Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Poitivin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j301
Should be the right size, the one I am using is roughly 90x90x40mm. He's been moded to fit a couple of different air frames (and if he crashed this plane, he's going be discharged!) so I don't know his original specs, but you can always cut yours down if its too tall.
Thanks. I placed an order so when it comes I'll make an update
Old 07-02-2014, 07:53 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I usually have to go to ACE to find anything "special". My home store down by the depot just got rid of all of their specialty stuff, nothing but "normal bolts, nuts, and screws," not that they had much in the first place, so now its ACE for everything.
I did just that last night on the way home. No cap screws above 2" but they did have 10/32 screws with the flared phillips head. I got a couple of those and round head ones. The flared head fit nicely in the cone. I can paint it red to match later if I really want to.

Originally Posted by radfordc
I'm still debating whether to power the ignition from the Rx battery or not. Ideally, I think a separate battery is probably safer. I may go back to that configuration in the end.
Go with a small NiMh 4 or 5 cell for the ignition. I have been flying mine with a 4 cell for 3 years now without a problem. The earlier ignitions said they can handle 6 volts, but that turned out not to be true, so been flying with the 4 volt pack instead. I did use a regulator set to 5v with a 5 cell pack but had issues with the ignition cutting out occasionally, so stuck with the smaller pack. An 1800mah pack will be good for a day of flying.

I taxi tested mine last night, I got the balance just right, it ground handles perfectly. I also got the Saito FS100 GK running. Spent a good hour trying to get it started. Between a low battery in my field box and the LSN being WAY too rich, it wouldn't run. After reseating both needles and turning them out the recommended amount, it fired right up and ran great. Best running engine I have now. I need to do a couple things to the plane and then it is ready for its first flight. I want to dope up the firewall and seal it a bit more and also dope the wood around the wing opening I noticed exhaust gets in there too. Going to fly it a bit without the cowl just to make sure all is good, and then put the cowl on and hope I got enough cooling vents. I baffled around the sides so air is directed right through the fins and have a large opening behind the engine. Other than a slight right drift, it tracks nice, and I want to adjust the tail wheel just a hair left so it tracks straight with no input, so on take off I can concentrate on rudder only to avoid tail wagging like I have with my LT-40. My 4*tracked like that and was a handful when the tail lifted, but once I corrected tracking it is no longer a tail wagging basket case.

Can't wait to see how she flies, if the WOT throttle is any indication, this plane will move, it nearly pulled out of my hand when I advanced the throttle. I also noticed that advancing the throttle quickly does exactly what other said, lifts the tail right off the ground. I was ready for that and quickly dropped to idle, but thats what taxi tests are all about. Taking off and flying I have no concerns, its the landing that I am worried about, so I want to make sure I study its stall way up high a bit before I try to land it.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:47 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today was the most perfect flying day ever....calm winds and 80 degrees. Our club had a flying day and weenie roast for lunch. My P-51 was flying great of course, but after it had been sitting in the sun for a couple of hours I noticed that the canopy was totally warped. It looks like I hit it with a heat gun! Be sure to cover your canopy with a rag to protect it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	canopy.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	2011270  
Old 07-03-2014, 01:52 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the warning.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:45 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Today was the most perfect flying day ever....calm winds and 80 degrees. Our club had a flying day and weenie roast for lunch. My P-51 was flying great of course, but after it had been sitting in the sun for a couple of hours I noticed that the canopy was totally warped. It looks like I hit it with a heat gun! Be sure to cover your canopy with a rag to protect it.
Mine has also done this, although not quite as bad as yours.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:55 PM
raptureboy

Ouch! I also keep a couple of extra towels in my van and cover my radio and my planes.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:04 PM
acdii

First and second flights are done! First flight was short, mainly to check the engine and trim. Have an excessive amount of right aileron and down trim, it likes to climb, and have nearly full down trim. However when landing with the flaps and gear down it flies nice and level with a nice sink rate. I flew without the cowl on just to make sure the engine runs good, next flight will have it on and I will richen the HSN just a hair. Landings were uneventful, which was my biggest fear, that I would stall it and plow into the ground, but it flew nice, sinks with some power on at a nice glide slope, then just as I cross chop throttle, touch of up and it settles in nice, but Gopher holes tend to make a good landing bad, I must have hit one and flipped it over. I thought maybe I had just hit down a bit but when I retracted the gear to take the wing off I found the right gear had bent back a bit. It was on the ground rolling before it flipped and it was not going very fast either. It will take me a bit to adjust to the Warbird takeoffs, twice now I nosed over giving it too much throttle. It also needs more rudder than what I am used to even with the 4*120. Anyway, it is a tad tail heavy, but the cowl will make up for it. I noticed a couple times it did something squirrely while yanking and banking, it pitched up and rolled, but only when I was really high up and had plenty of altitude to correct, and also plenty of throttle. That Saito GK100 runs fantastic.

So I need to make some fine tuning, the roll I attribute to the tail feathers being a bit warped. the balance tabs are off just a bit when the inside trailing edges are even. I tried to adjust best I could with the elevator linkage, but could only get it close. I compensated a bit with rudder, and will adjust the links a half turn to bring in the trim some. Once I fly it with the cowl on I will then see if there is any adjustment I can make on the elevator, but all in all, it flew nice.

On the Flip side, I prooved I can fly rudder, my LT-40 aileron lead came out of the RX with a little help from the throttle servo. Dumb me forgot to secure the lead before bolting down the wing. Made a not to bad landing considering I had no aileron and had to use all rudder to turn and keep it level.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:58 AM
Quigleywins

At the moment I'm working on the Engine instulation,The problem I'm facing is the huge exhaust on the Saito 125.At the angle it comes out it will look all wrong. So I'm thinking that with a satio 100 there is more options . I think that there may be more room to put the right angle nut and run a flexable line away and to hell with a muffler. there is not much differance in noise anyway with it off.. Such a nice aircraft and I would love to try and keep it that way. If any one has a photo of there exhaust with the 100 in there and has anyone put that righ angle nut on the 100 saito to alter the out flow of gas out of the head.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:23 AM
j301
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by Quigleywins
At the moment I'm working on the Engine instulation,The problem I'm facing is the huge exhaust on the Saito 125.At the angle it comes out it will look all wrong. So I'm thinking that with a satio 100 there is more options . I think that there may be more room to put the right angle nut and run a flexable line away and to hell with a muffler. there is not much differance in noise anyway with it off.. Such a nice aircraft and I would love to try and keep it that way. If any one has a photo of there exhaust with the 100 in there and has anyone put that righ angle nut on the 100 saito to alter the out flow of gas out of the head.
A Saitto 100 will fly this plane nicely, but I know people who wanted more and up graded to the 125. If you have a 125 all ready, I would stick with it. Here on RCU I have one of these and the turbo muffler they sell on a Saito FG17 and it tucks the exhaust away nicely. : http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=985951 If you just get the 90 you can run flex or stock muffler, but if you run strait pipe/flex you will have to do some tuning as you will lose muffler pressure for fuel (which is doable with the Saito).
Old 07-05-2014, 07:33 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by Quigleywins
Here is mine with the 100 installed.

Name:	10453347_740771472631656_8957822795126966526_n.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	2011818  
Old 07-05-2014, 07:35 AM
acdii

Yes the 100 did run well without pressure, the tubing came off when I was running mine and it ran fine without pressure.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:42 PM
flycatch

A Saitto 100 will fly this plane nicely, but I know people who wanted more and up graded to the 125. If you have a 125 all ready, I would stick with it. Here on RCU I have one of these and the turbo muffler they sell on a Saito FG17 and it tucks the exhaust away nicely. : http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=985951 If you just get the 90 you can run flex or stock muffler, but if you run strait pipe/flex you will have to do some tuning as you will lose muffler pressure for fuel (which is doable with the Saito).
Invest in an after market SlimLine inverted muffler.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:25 PM
RC-CAKES
My Feedback: (4)

Seriously look at a Keleo exhaust for either of the saitos. they are very good quality, fits nicely with small twin pipes out of the bottom. The sound is sweet with the 4stroke. I love mine with the FA125.

Name:	IMG_0617.JPG
Views:	675
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	2011938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3945.JPG
Views:	920
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	2011939  

Last edited by RC-CAKES; 07-05-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:25 PM
radfordc

Originally Posted by RC-CAKES

I see you had a canopy melt down, too.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:31 PM
RC-CAKES
My Feedback: (4)

I see you had a canopy melt down, too.
Yes... too long in the sun. I have another I will install later on.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Quigleywins

Thanks to RC-CAKES,acdii,flycatch. I will look at the Slimline exhausts as an option,I found the outer dimentions for both the 125 and the 100 there the same but that exhaust nut is smaller on the 100 than the 125 Motor. It will not take long to fit the 100 and see if I can make the job look better. I was about to start a TF P47 thats been in the shed for a year it was lined up with the 100. So the 125 will go better regarding fit in the P47. The other thing is I have another 100 in a Shoestring and I'm using the exhaust of a 65. it fits and works there. The exhaust outlet is smaller ,but I never seem to run full throttle anyway.
The 14mm exhaust is by the looks only on the 125 where the 100 exhaust is 12mm and on others.
There would be no fun if things were easy .Yours Paul T
Old 07-06-2014, 04:57 AM
charlie1960

To acdii,

I noticed a couple times it did something squirrely while yanking and banking, it pitched up and rolled, but only when I was really high up and had plenty of altitude to correct, and also plenty of throttle.

that my friend was a high speed stall. at a high speed and a sharp angle of attack, the yanking and banking, you can effectively loose lift. Its a quirk of the plane.
If you can anticipate and learn what yanks produce what results, you can come up with some really wow inducing moves.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:11 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by charlie1960
To acdii,

I noticed a couple times it did something squirrely while yanking and banking, it pitched up and rolled, but only when I was really high up and had plenty of altitude to correct, and also plenty of throttle.

that my friend was a high speed stall. at a high speed and a sharp angle of attack, the yanking and banking, you can effectively loose lift. Its a quirk of the plane.
If you can anticipate and learn what yanks produce what results, you can come up with some really wow inducing moves.
Awesome, and I thought there was something hinky. It definately has a learning curve above what I have been flying, but the landings were the part I dreaded and both were nice and gentle. Now if I can just keep away from gopher holes.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:46 AM
flycatch

Originally Posted by charlie1960
To acdii,

Just a thought but it could be a combination of an aft CG and excessive elevator throw.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:06 AM
radfordc

If you find yourself in a nose down attitude and the ground is coming up fast, you still have to resist the urge to jerk in too much elevator or you can snap roll into the ground for sure.

A couple of times my flying buddies have said they thought I was in trouble when pulling out of a dive because I was being so slow in getting through the pull out.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:15 AM
acdii

Most likely its aft CG, I had the cowl off, and that's 1/4 ounce right there. There is very little up elevator, and it tends to climb, I have nearly full down trim and it still climbs. I also discovered the reason for the left roll, the elevators are twisted, didn't notice it until after I glued them in that the right elevator is flush at the fuse, but sticks up at the balance tab, the left elevator is almost perfect, but has a tiny bit below the stab. The right one has a twist in it. Both are perfectly aligned at the control rod, right where they should be. Maybe I should call TH and see if I can get a replacement.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:23 PM
raptureboy

Charlie1960 is correct you had a high speed stall and you can do it in the full scale too. Try adding rudder in your turns as it helps to keep the tail from skidding out, which means you can use less aileron and avoid the high banking turns. At low throw on the elevator it will pull out just fine if you back off the throttle some on the down side. Mine climbs also with the DLE so I am going to add some down thrust. You could also mix in some down elev at full throttle. I have found that the flaps can blank out elev control at slow speed just before touch down so I try to remember to have them set on high rates.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:53 PM
acdii

I did mix some expo on the elevator and ailerons which made my second flight much easier. I also mixed some down elevator with the flaps which helped a lot on landing. Now that I have the cowl on, I will see if it is less likely to climb and more level in flight before I adjust the servo throw to get my trim centered. I will also adjust the aileron links probably a half turn to compensate for the twisted elevator to get that one closer to center. I think I set rates, but dont remember, if I did I set them up on position 2, and I fly with switches at 0. With the cowl the CG is 5 3/8", take away that 1/4 ounce and it was probably more likely around 5 5/16". I am finding that nose heavy planes and grass make for hard landings, and have the 2 planes I fly the most at the tail side of CG now. Now that I have the first flight jitters done, I can focus on the controls and what they do at various settings, such as full rudder, stalls, verticals, etc.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:50 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

raptureboy, how is the DLE working out for you? Did you have any cooling problems? With the pitts muffer I had to duct air back to the carb and add a small air dam at the air exit to eliminate vapor lock. It worked. Now have over 275 flights on the plane. The DLE is running great.

Name:	085.2.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2012218   Click image for larger version

Name:	080.2.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	2012219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang 5.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	673.0 KB
ID:	2012220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang 6.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	673.0 KB
ID:	2012221  
Old 07-07-2014, 01:18 PM
radfordc

Hope we all have better luck than this guy: <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gBQ3NWks-t8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All it needed was a voice over saying, "Hold my beer....watch this!"

Last edited by radfordc; 07-07-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.