Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Flexible exhaust extensions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Flexible exhaust extensions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 11:05 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Flexible exhaust extensions

Has any one used any type of flexible exaust estensions with sucess? I would like to route my exhaust from the muffler out the bottom of the cowl on my Yellow P-47.. The Engine is a Taurus 52.. Any help wuold , of course, be much appreciated. .... Regards BobH.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:48 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob,

I have used flexible pipe with good success. I don't know where I got mine, just in my bits n pieces box. I believe Air Hobbies has some. Also, I've used copper pipe fittings and flexible tubing to allow some flex. I've done this on my current spitfire project you can see on my website. The website for Air Hobbies is:
http://www.aero-sports.com/airhobbies/
Click on engine accessories.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:28 PM
BobH

Default Flexible exhaust

Sean, thank you. I saw some at Toledo this year and considered buying some.. Of cours I didn't (would have made too much sense!). I have heard good and bad about that stuff so thank you for your imput.. And I'll check out your spit for sure... Regards BobH.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:58 PM
BobH

Default Taylor Spit

Sean, As I was looking over your construction articles I noticed you has some concern for Engine cooling. I had the same concerns with my Yellow Spit using the Moki 1.8. My solution was to add a small duct inside the fuse with an opening in the fire wall behind the engine. The duct outlets on the bottom of the fuse and out the oil cooler. Its the same location where you have your exhaust going out. It works very well and isn't noticable at all. This "tip" was given to me by a gentleman who used to sell plans. Some of them were for a spitfire and a typhoon amoung others. His name excapes me at the moment but he is a Master designer and builder and has competed at the highest levels. Anyway its a good tip.. Regards BobH.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:35 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob,

Thanks for the tip on cooling. I think I have enough area for exiting air...my problem is how do I get air into the engine area? I'd hate to cut a big hole in the front, and I thought about a trap door but that looks like it would interfere with the carb. I may just make a hole and a plug in cover for static purposes that can be removed before flying.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:42 PM
BobH

Default Flexible Exhaust

Sean, I made a small hole in the chin area of my cowl And my cowl sits peeks just out of the lower part of the cowl so I opened that area to give some additional cooling.. I have see others that put a screen in their cowl towards the front and then painted it like the rest of the cowl.. Its pretty Unnoticable when its in place. BTW.. The Guys name is Sepp Uberlacher. (s?).. I think you can still buy his plans in the UK from Unitracks... Regards BobH.