Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:22 PM
johnnyjet
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP Corsair

Hi Shane

Definitely a cool idea I most like the way the rotation is handled.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
It spreads the rotation over the entire retract action. With the Sierra retract the rotation takes place only at the last 25% of the retract travel, and that is where the “airbrakes” are at their worst.

If Lado makes a set for the KMP/ESM corsair I believe I would give them a try.

Thanks
Johnny

Old 09-28-2009, 04:02 PM
lynn1130
My Feedback: (10)

Getting the cowl set up and the dummy engine mounted is slowing me down. Actually what is slowing me down is that it is still 106 degrees here and the garage is too hot to work in. Cooler weather later this week but then I will be out of town.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Getting the dummy engine in can be a task. Does anyone know the size of the wheels off hand? Can't remember if they are 2" or 2 1/2".

Thanks Shane
Old 09-28-2009, 06:19 PM
lynn1130

The main wheels are 4"
Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Oh ok, cool then here's a link to some really nice wheels.

[link]http://www.aeroprotect.com/shopexd.asp?id=112[/link]

Just got mine today and they are very nice. I got 3 1/2" for a different project.

Shane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21779.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1284504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24399.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1284505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42141.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	1284506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh10708.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1284507  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:53 PM
johnnyjet

Hi lynn1130

Would love to see some photos of your dummy engine.

Thanks
Johnny

Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 PM
lynn1130

Johnny,
It is just a TopFlite 1/5 that I had laying around. I plan to do a little detailing to it to give it some life but once it is in I will take some photos and get them on here.

It seems to fit well in the front of the cowl and I have to cut the mounting ring, similar to the mounting ring for the cowl, tomorrow. I plan to mount the engine to the ring and the ring to the cowl. I used blind nuts to mount the cowl to the fuse so I have to open up some of the engine, between the cylinders, so that I can get to those bolts when necessary and also for engine cooling.

Lynn
Old 10-04-2009, 05:04 PM
johnnyjet

Anyone ordered from the new stock of corsairs yet?

Johnny
Old 10-04-2009, 11:11 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine did in Lancaster Pa , he should be getting his any day , I will keep you posted
Old 10-05-2009, 05:32 PM
DJ
My Feedback: (5)

I got one coming from VQ warbirds. Was told it would ship in a couple of days also. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 PM
johnnyjet

Thanks LDM

DJ
Got mine from VQ warbirds also. Let us know when she comes in.

Johnny
Old 10-06-2009, 08:53 PM
DJ

I got the shipping info today with a tracking # . It's on it way and due the 12th. Maybe it'll get here buy Friday. Fun for the weekend.
DJ
Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 PM
HaveIssues

I've got one coming from VQ warbirds too. Should get here by the weekend.

Are there any engines that can fit completely inside the cowl other than the saito 170 radial or the laser 240 twin? I'm having a hard time with the idea of cutting a hole in the cowl and having an engine hang out.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 PM
DJ

I used the OS 200 with a turbo muffler. Very little shows out the bottom. Great power for this model. I'll use the same set up on this one.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:27 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

GENTS,,,

you will all have them very , very soon !!!!

If anyone is missing a tracking # ,,,, just email me @ [email protected]

-For Gassers.. if you go w/ a compact 26cc you may only have the spark plug cap poking out the bottom ...

We do have the SIERRA ESM/KMP CORSAIR RETRACTS INSTOCK ready to ship... so those of you who want the SIERRA GEAR just email me direct.... we also have AIR SUPPORT KITS by ROBART... and of course for anyone wanting the CJM gear..also available...

-CHEERS!

TOMAS
VQ WARBIRDS
"KEEP 'EM FLYING"
Old 10-08-2009, 06:17 PM
LDM

My buddy received his , one concern , not varified yet is that the middle flap does not match the wing angle
I will report back
Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 AM
lynn1130

I have the OS 200 and you still have to cut a hole in the cowl for the valve cover to stick out. There is not much of it showing but the 200 will not fit entirely within the cowl. I have the Keleo muffler and you need to cut two holes for the exhaust stacks to stick out but that is all. Since I am using a dummy engine I need the openings for air flow anyway.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:21 AM
lynn1130

The Keleo muffler and dummy engine created some issues with the cowl that took some working through/around but I think I got it without too much cutting on the cowl.

Because the muffler mounts directly behind the engine and the stacks point down I found it impossible to get the cowl past the muffler/stacks or to get to the the screw hole to fasten the cowl to the fuse. I had, by the way replaced the screw mounting system for the cowl with blind nuts and bolts. Much less likely to work loose with vibration. I ended up cutting the mounting ring and removing about 4 inches of it directly behind the muffler to allow the cowl to slip on. I had hoped to have only holes slightly larger than the exhaust pipes cut into the cowl but found that I had to elongate the openings, even with shortened stacks, to get the tight fitting cowl on. In all, the larger engine caused a few more issues than I would have liked but their are no visible cuts to the cowl , other than the one to the carb adjustment. Everything is underside and pretty much out of sight.

After mounting the dummy engine I drilled three small holes in the face of the dummy engine, used three plastic straws large enough to allow the ball driver to get through to the bolts and secured the straws in a line from the hole in the engine to the bolts on the cowl ring. This keeps me from having to hunt for the bolts, blindly through the cowl. It seems to work pretty well.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:58 AM
captainron

LDM
I ran into the same problem and still waiting for KMP to send me a middle flap for the left wing. They sent in the kit both of the middle (little flap) for the right wing. Kmp promise they'd get me one by the middle of Oct. haven't seen it yet. So! here I sit with a half built KMP Corsair with no middle flap for the left wing.

NEMESIS4U,
If you have any ideas, or could help me, I would sure appreciate it. I really don't know if KMP's going to come through for me. I know it's not your problem, but theres a consumer out here that could sure use some help.

CAPTAIN RON
Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 PM
LDM

I hope it works out , I suggested this new ESM plane to my friend Tam and I did so thru VQ /Tommy he 100% got the wrong inner flap
Old 10-12-2009, 11:04 PM
f4u19

Hey, everyone I just put my wing tips on and they are off about 1/16th of an inch is that about right for you guys as well. Beleive it or not this is my second ARF. Wow, I'm glade someone is helping me. This model is diffacult for me. I love the Corsair, but what a kit and I bought mine at KMP what a rip off I'm gland to se VQ has come down in price.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:03 PM
DJ

YA, my first one I got from KMP was off also. I just made sure that the top surface was close as possible, mix up some micro balloons with the epoxy. Line the up and hold them in place. Once done, I used a black sharpie to color the seam. Didn't look to bad for a hack job. When mine crashed in the wing didn't come a part. The fuse exploded, It was cool but to bad to see a good flyer go in. One thing get all the crap in the fuselage as far forward as you can. Then be ready to add a ton to the nose.
Sorry no video of the crash
Old 10-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Tisoy909
My Feedback: (21)

Thats absolutely right, I have a brison 2.4 in the nose, and still things had to go up forward! Finally maidened though, after almost a year on standby. Shes awesome in the air though. flies a little heavy with the brison but powerful nonetheless, and kmp overpriced for sure! To be honest i get irritated thinking how much cheaper they are now. I heard esm is making a 100 inch corsair that would work with a moki 150, anybody have news about this one?
Louie
Old 10-13-2009, 07:51 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Tisoy,,,

Yes .... all so true... there will eventually be several sized CORSAIRS... EVENTUALLY....
for now ... we enjoy this wonderful ESM 70" sized CORSAIR...
soon next year we may see the 86" CORSAIR.... then maybe later the 100"-er by ESM...
No one ask anymore questions... lets just keep it on the "DL" (down low)

NO MORE TALK NOW.... MORE FLYING...more assembly!

-TOMAS
VQ WARBIRDS
"KEEP 'EM FLYING"
[email protected]
www.vqwarbirds.com
Old 10-14-2009, 05:44 AM
Tisoy909
My Feedback: (21)

Tomas,
Thanks for that heads up, its good to know something could be in the pipeline as far as a big brother to our 74" "Ensign Eliminator" possibly in the works[8D]. Frankly, the toughest part about putting this model together were all the little frustrations I had with the minimal information given in the manual. This project makes one more experienced thats for sure. Small details such as the flaps system, the reliability of the gear etc. But I can tell you in the end, all of that was out the door after the maiden flight.
She flies superbly, and straight as an arrow over the entire speed range once I had her trimmed out on the first hop. Those flaps, which had me really concerned the whole time, works spot on, though i did swap out the metal joiners for a rigged device using sullivan nyrods, works excellent, and no flap to elevator mix necessary. In fact, I felt so comfortable with the flaps that I used it on the first landing as well. I dont recall if there were two settings for flap angles or not in that 5 or so page construction manual but i have it rigged such that the two flap angle settings are only about 10 or less degrees apart. but its alrite to have them set to go down very low, low enough to look nice that is and still permits the model to fly stable. So in a nut shell, those frustrations in building this bird basically works out to extra experience and the challenge i think to make a better builder more than anything else. I was a tough customer when building this one, just read my posts further up in here, i was so pissed at times, pretty much flaming whomever i can particularly kmp but oh wells. thats in the past, and i have an awesome corsair to brag about for now!
Louie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.