Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Robart Retracts for my P-47

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Robart Retracts for my P-47

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 12:46 AM
Banshee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart Retracts for my P-47

I was cutting the struts for my TF P-47 to length and noticed something. The plug in the strut was at different points on the two struts. I took them appart and noticed that the springs were different lengths. I'm looking at replacing the springs to some softer ones if I can find suitable springs, but I'll want to push the plug on one of the struts in a bit further. I was wondering if this would be a problem? Is the plug glued in place, or is it just a press fit?

Thanks,
Old 05-12-2003, 01:04 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might want to e-mail robart on this.

ed
Old 06-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Banshee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not end up contacting Robart about this issue but I went about fixing the problem myself. I'll explain a little more about the situation and share how I went about fixing it.

Because the spring stops were in different spots in the struts I had two issues: I couldn't cut one strut short enough for my project, and one strut was noticeably stiffer than the other one.

I took apart my struts to compare them. I measured how far the plug was pressed in on the strut with the shorter spring. Using a hammer and a piece of metal smaller in diameter than the strut, I pressed the spring stop in further on the other strut. I was then able to cut the struts to the length required for my plane. Once this was done, I stripped all of the grease off of the springs, and then measured them. Using a Dremel tool I cut the longer one to the length of the short one.

I reassembled the struts and tested them. There is no sign of the spring stop trying to move when the strut is compressed. The struts are feeling like they take the same amount of force to compress.

I will re-grease the springs and inside of the struts once they are painted for my plane.

Hope this helps a few people if they run into similar situations