Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Byron P-51 rudder throw?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Byron P-51 rudder throw?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 02:28 AM
rcob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron P-51 rudder throw?

Can someone who's flying the P-51 tell me how much rudder throw you have (oprox). Just got a RTF and the rudder is so closely hinged that all I can get is about an inch. Will this be good? Thank's in advance Rob
Old 05-13-2003, 03:17 AM
BOMBERGUY
My Feedback: (5)

I just looked it up to be sure. The book says ALL YOU CAN GET.

Good luck with your new P-51

Bomberguy
Old 05-13-2003, 04:52 AM
rcob

I KNOW THAT! Read my question..........All I can get is about an inch do to who ever built the plane. It's hinged to close (or is it not) and all I get is 1". My question is, for those of you already flying the Byron P-51 what is the travel (knowing you're to have all you can get) on you're rudder? Thank's
Old 05-13-2003, 05:55 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

that sounded kind of rude, rcob. Try and taxi it around and see how the rudder you have now counter acts the tourqe while taxing. If its not enough add more, if it can taxi at high speed ok then go for it. If the plane has flown before I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:58 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Mine has a total throw of 2-3/4" , so you are not too far off.....
Old 05-14-2003, 01:14 AM
rcob

Thank you for the answer!! This is what I was looking for. A little over 2 3/4" OK.....
Old 05-14-2003, 02:55 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Note that is total throw...full right to full left, or 1-3/8" per side...
Old 05-14-2003, 03:06 AM
rcob

OK, great! Thank's for clearing that up, I was getting bumed out thinking it's not going to be enough. Thank you....
Old 05-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Byronman
My Feedback: (55)

Default Byron P51

Quit picking the plane apart and fly it! I personally flew it just as you have received it from Dave and all throws (ailerons, rudder, elevator, and flaps) where set and correct. If you have never flown a Byron warbird, or for matter a fact the P51, GET HELP locally from someone who has more experience with it!
Old 05-14-2003, 07:43 PM
rcob

Well Brent or "Byronman" if the plane was all that it was said it was to be I probubly would have by now. I have a few flight's over the 20 or so years under my belt but I'm no pro I'll alway's keep my ears open for good advise. I'm suprized being you're one of so called field rep's for Iron Bay that you would aprove of such a plane so badly prepaired. If you flew you're giant scale P-40 the way this P-51 was set up It's no suprize to hear that you just stuffed it into the ground after about a 10 second flight. If you don't want to help out and answer simple question's like Iron Bay hope's you will be doing then don't bother with reply's like the one you just gave.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

rcob,

I have had 4 Byron Mustangs. In the air. the plane is sensitive to rudder, you do NOT need a lot of throw. All the rudders on my Mustangs were set at about 3\4" of throw to one side.( 1 1\2" total deflection). Never was the rudder deflected more then 1\2" in flight. Just BREATHE on the rudder.

Good Luck,

Mustang51
Old 05-14-2003, 09:25 PM
rcob

Thank you Mustang51! The rudder is no longer a concern anymore becuas of helpfull reply's like you wrote. I'm now working on solving other issues with this thing such as the tail wheel gear door's jaming the wheel and not letting it go up, main gear clam door's not closeing due to main wheel's hitting the actuater and jaming, retract servo rail's brakeing off when hiting the gear switch, removing boat anchor sized lead from nose so I don't have a 30 pound plane, etc. She's got good look's thoe. I'm sure you're not the type nor am I to just go out and fly a huge plane (that I payed good $$$ for) that can hurt someone just becuse someone else say's it's good to go.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:10 AM
gibb
My Feedback: (7)

Default Rudeness

I typically don't reply to threads like the one above, however, I guess I'm just in a "mood".

Although the question was fairly simply asked, RCOB assumed he would get a simple answer. As most of us know, when writing a note on RCU, or any other site like this, those notes are sometimes misunderstood.
RCOB, Continued clarity of the answer needed may make it easier in the future without having to resort to the rudely replied response. I for one (and I don't think I am alone here) remember the people who don't "play nice" and I never answer their posts.

This was not intended to be a retaliatory response, but just a word of advice. Take it for what it's worth.

Jim
Old 05-15-2003, 04:07 AM
rcob

Default being on a list

gibb, Thank you for the advice and sorry to hear the new's about you're "play nice"list. I don't like to reply to stuff like this as well, but I guess I'm in the same mood. Like you said "sometimes thing's are missunderstood" I'm sure you ment including thing's I may write. I recall thanking evryone for the advice. If I sounded rude to anyone I'm trully sorry, but as much of a waist of time this is writing this crapp I'm compelled to write about how I see thing's Here. I asked a simple clear question and get a nice reply from BOMBERGUY who took the time to look in the same book I have and tell me "all you can get". Abviously not reading the way I had asked it, or missunderstanding me, I get an etempt from him to help. Telling him or her " I know that" and to read the question and clearafying what information I need I thanked him or her anyway. Then Mugenkidd try's to help by telling me to taxie it around to see if it's going to work and tell's me to straiten up and fly right, again probably a missunderstanding. Playing nice I never said anything. then Bingo NONY hit's it on the botton and answer's the simple question. Then Byronman tell's me to quit looking at it and or taking it apart and fly it the way it is becuase all of the throw's are set by him and it fly's fine the way it is. I don't know what kind of radio he uses but the servose in this plane don't tell my reciever what the throw's are or if it will be enough. This would be why I asked the question I did. There is also a lot you (gibb,) don't know as far as what is going on with this plane between the seller and I that spilled over into one of my post's which I'm also sorry for. Anyway thank you all for the effort to try and help me.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:20 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

straiten up and fly right is my Signature. Its on all of my post. If you see something that is below a line at the bottom of someone's reply it is their signature. I got that line from the Tuskegee Airmen movies, any Tuskegee airmen fan would know this but I guess everyone is not. But understand that it was not directed to you, and my advice was from the way I sometimes figure out rudder throw.

Micahel
Old 05-15-2003, 06:16 PM
rcob

I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood you. I taxi around somtimes to. I mistaken by thinking I could just ask all you friendly R/c pilot's and expected a simple friendly to the point reply. Thanks for you're help my friend
Old 11-06-2005, 10:19 AM
51-D GUY
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Byron P-51 rudder throw?

I'm With Ya All The Way Brother Man !!!!!!