Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Picking a scale...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Picking a scale...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 04:25 AM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking a scale...

I'm wondering if people with multiple warbirds built them all to one scale?

I'm thinking about a first warbird and am wondering how big is too big. And after I pick the first one, should the others be the same scale, or just scale them to a "nice" wingspan?

To me, 1/6 looks to be about right for all the "major" single engine WWII fighters. The range is from 85 1/2" for the Hellcat to 57 1/2" for the Wildcat. Although only 2, the P47 and the F6F would be larger than 80". But I don't think that will be a problem. Going to 1/5 takes the upper end to 103" and that might be too big for my taste.

What are people's thoughts?

Kerry
Old 05-14-2003, 10:15 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default What scale

Kerrydel, I doubt if any one would pick a single scale to build all their planes too. Couple of reasons come to mind but what people are more inclined to do is to build the planes to near the same size.. regardless of scale. Reasons being availability of engines, plans, retracts.. etc.. BobH.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:18 AM
RandyL
My Feedback: (4)

Kerry, I have only done this once so far. I have a 10th scale B-17 ( 10ft span ) and I purposely built a 10th scale P-51 to display with it. While the little .20 size Mustang is built to fly, I have never flown it with the 17.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:32 PM
kerrydel

I hadn't thought about the engine and retracts issue. Didn't think that finding plans would be that big of a deal. You can always scale them up or down if you can't find the exact size.

Any idea what is a popular "size" (wingspan)? I can't see myself buying a trailer to haul my planes, so that will provide some of a size limit. Then there's the wife factor. How big can I build before she thinks I've lost my marbles? I'm leaning towards 96" as my largest wingspan.

Kerry
Old 05-14-2003, 04:36 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Same scale

BB Weber @ Bomber field has a B-17, B-29, and a Russian Bear Bomber all similarly scaled (about 1/10). And currently has a Super Constellation that is also abou 1/10 scale.

But he has a large box van to haul them in.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:27 PM
Pelle Gris

I must admit that I am very hard to please, so I have decided on exact 1:5 scale. Not 1:5.5 or 1:4.9..... EXACT 1:5...

Currently I´m in the process of making plans for a 1:5 scale set of retracts for an enlarged Taylor Typhoon. I will also have to design & build a reliable reduction gearing for my G-62. I hope to be able to swing a 33x18 3-blade scale prop with this setup.

I can´t stand to see a Typhoon being smaller than a BF 109...
Old 05-14-2003, 07:35 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default what scale

kerry, your wife may have already thought you "lost your marbles"lol i know mine has !! If you make your planes with removable wings like a right and left wing plus center section, you can get a pretty big plane into a smallish space..Ziroli's planes are a good size without being HUGE... IMO..so are Vallie aviation.. BobH.

Pellegris, Mick Reeves makes exactly what your looking for for you G-62. Its a gear reduction drive for the engine and looks very promising.. Regards BobH.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Pelle Gris

Hi BobH...

I´m aware of the reduction drive offered by Reeves... The only problem is that the ratio is not big enough. I´m looking for something like 2,5:1 reduction. I talked to a guy in germany who used a 2,5:1 drive to spin a 30x30 carbon prop at about 3500rpm. Made his 3m 20kg Sea Fury go straight up... That was with a G-62 also.
I might "steal" some of Reeves´s ideas when designing my own drive.
BTW. Does anyone think that it would be possible to make a conventional gearbox (like on an electric motor) instead of the belt drive? I´m guessing that a kickback from the engine when starting would make the gearbox explode...
Old 05-14-2003, 10:06 PM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John Clark has a prototype planetary gearbox running right now. Swings a scale 32" four blde prop for his Spitfire. You can see it at clarkindustries.on.ca I told him I just have to have one or my Spit. Don
Old 05-14-2003, 11:33 PM
flying2bill

As for size, when someone askes my opinion I tell them to build the biggest that they can afford and accommidate. Although I bekieve bigger is better, I also understand that you will have a hard time transporting a 1/3 scale Corsair to the field in a 1963 VW Beetle