Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

K&B paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 02:56 PM
foxx
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B paint

As you know the K&B paint is no longer available , but I was wondering if anybody knows who was the manufacturer . One of the great property of the K&B paint was that it hardened like an egg shell , and very resistance to hanger rash.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:41 PM
Ron S

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts
Default K&B paint

I thought K&B WAS the manufacturer?
Luckily, I still have my stash!
It is getting depleted, though...
Old 05-14-2003, 09:36 PM
foxx

Default K&B paint

I think K&B bought the paint in bulk and retail it, As many other companies do. Of course this is only a guess, somebody out there might know. At $90-$100 a gallon it was pretty pricey paint besides then you had to add hardener and reducer to the cost.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:39 AM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

Default K&B paint

I think the problem was the EPA banned it's production. Hobbypoxy was also and it is compatible.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:53 PM
foxx

Default K&B paint

Was it really a production ban ?. Some of these products are industrial products and can not be sold to the general public. The car paint I buy has this worming on the label. may be that was the reason. the emission of cyanide gas is a always a problem with quality paints so wear your mask or paint outside kids.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:36 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default K&B paint

Foxx, The EPA wants to reduce the number of gasious emissions from paint. A number of the out gasses from two part epoxies and enamils where on thier hit list. They have not made these paints for five to seven years.

The interesting part is that the old paints used to evaporate away 90+% of their weight. These new EPA freindly paints evaporate away as little as 65%, which means more weight on your model. To further increase the dificulty for those of use that paint for a hobby the new aditives in the paints are poisons that can be absorbed throught the skin. When you pick a new paint be sure to check out the MSDS real well, spacifically the reducers. What that means to us, modelers, is that we should not have exposed skin while painting and most importantly allot of the poisonus compounds will not be cought by activated charcoal. So it is very important to know what you are painting, or the guy in the emergency room may have to tell you.

Good luck!