Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Arf Warbirds

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 02:27 PM
b756 driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arf Warbirds

Hey Guys:

I'm looking at getting into the R/C Thing for some fun. I know that this is a section for buying and selling, but I was wondering if ya'll could give me some leads on ww2 warbird manufacturers.

My wife and I want to get a couple of birds (one american and one german), so we can go out and do a little combat. We are fortunate enough to have a couple of hundred acres where we can terrorize the skies.

That said, I would like to get some authentic looking birds w/retracts around 3 to 4 foot wingspans. I have seen some 1,000.00 dollar birds around but I think thats a little too spiffy for us. Since I don't have any experience in building models(at least since I was 6 or 7) the arf or rtf types are what I'm looking for.

Any ideas on which manufactures or hobby outlets with websites I can go to to look at these?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:12 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Arf Warbirds

Originally posted by b756 driver
Hey Guys:

I'm looking at getting into the R/C Thing for some fun. I know that this is a section for buying and selling, but I was wondering if ya'll could give me some leads on ww2 warbird manufacturers.

My wife and I want to get a couple of birds (one american and one german), so we can go out and do a little combat. We are fortunate enough to have a couple of hundred acres where we can terrorize the skies.

That said, I would like to get some authentic looking birds w/retracts around 3 to 4 foot wingspans. I have seen some 1,000.00 dollar birds around but I think thats a little too spiffy for us. Since I don't have any experience in building models(at least since I was 6 or 7) the arf or rtf types are what I'm looking for.

Any ideas on which manufactures or hobby outlets with websites I can go to to look at these?

Thanks for all the help.

Won't answer your questions. Will advise for some you did not ask.

You claim to be 756 driver. (What is that? I know 757s and 767s, but I retired 7 years ago and haven't kept up with airline stuff very much.) I don't think you started flying 1 to 1 scale there.

Don't think you are going to just go out and fly an RC machine without some training. I thought that once, even though I really knew better. But, Heck, I had been supersonic straight up and straight down. Had some 15+ years of jet time. I could *fly anything, any time, any where* or so the big head thought.

Picked up the parts of the re-kitted machine, rebuilt it and went out and found an instructor. Very short time I was "Safe for Solo". Pilots know pitch, power, and bank so they are eons ahead of those off the street, yet they need to use that which they know and get rid of those chips on the shoulders.

Find yourself a club and learn RC flying. Check http://www.ama-dist-8.org/ and locate a club in your area. Once you learn then use those acres to invite others and start a new club. BTDT!

Welcome to a totally new aspect of the aviation world.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:25 PM
b756 driver

Default Arf Warbirds

Hossfly:

Thanks and noted.

Now can anyone answer the question I did ask?

ps: the b756 is a bid category, it encompasses the 757-200, 300 series as well as the 767-200 and 400 series. Same type on all, as I'm sure you know since you claim to be retired airline.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:29 AM
asquires

Default Arf Warbirds

Hi,

The best Warbird ARF to buy is located at the following address

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...51Mustang.html

P51 Mustang with 65.5" wingspan. Has retracts installed, and there is a website outhere, I can locate if you are interested that shows you how to custom install flaps with little effort.

Thanks
Anthony
Old 05-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Arf Warbirds

My take on Hossfly's comments is that he was trying to give you information that will spare you a rather expensive disaster, unless of course you are already an r/c pilot.

I am not saying you can't do it, but the odds of success are extremely small.

Now, to answer your original question, there are lots of ARF warbirds out there in the size range you specified. First let me say that I recommend getting your planes through the nearest hobby shop.

Kyosho makes ARF warbirds like what you are looking for, including a German one (which is a little more rare in an ARF). Go here to find them:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?&C=ACH&V=KYO

World Models makes some pretty OK ARFs as well but I don't think they have a German one:

http://www.airborne-models.com/
Old 05-22-2003, 04:15 PM
rottielover

Default Arf Warbirds

asquires,

I would be most interested to see your link on how to install flaps on the H9 P-51. I just purchased this ARF and have only started the building process. Thanks in advance for the info!
Old 05-22-2003, 04:59 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arf Warbirds

Here is a couple of planes in the size you are looking for:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/123610.asp

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/123670.asp

In that size though, they won't have retracts but you can find and fit them.

If you haven't flown before, you ought to start with a trainer. However, if you're determined to go the combat route here's a compromise:

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=HAN2060

Just use the appropriate decals for US and German....
Old 05-25-2003, 01:59 PM
b756 driver

Default Arf Warbirds

Thanks for the info guys. That gives me a place to start. I'll let you know how I progress.
Old 05-25-2003, 03:48 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Arf Warbirds

This is how I get a lot of my P-51 kits, lucky for the new R/C flier they get discouraged early in the building process, then I just make new parts and redo what they built. With ARF's, well they have a better chance of getting in the air, briefly at best anyway. My Dad would always say those that can't listen have to feel!

Luke