Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ziroli Corsair Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ziroli Corsair Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 03:53 PM
Thumper1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ziroli Corsair Question

Does anyone have a photo of a framed up wing center section showing the "as in the plans" flap detail? I have a Corsair that I am in the middle of adding flaps. (constructed without)

What I need to know is: Are there two hinges on the center flap at W5? or just one on the end of the inboard flap, with the center flap depending on the slider plate to locate and keep it in alignment? The plans seem very vague in this area. I have searched the net for photos, and while I can find some showing other methods of hinging, and can't find any showing the flap hinging as intended in the Ziroli plans.
Thanks
Bill
Old 05-16-2003, 09:18 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Bill,

I spent several hours figuring out what Nick intended on the flaps, but that was quiet a while back.

I dug the plans out but still had to go out and look at the plane. At W5 there is a main hinge support attached to the wing. At the flap sections either side of the support is a tab which is used in conjunction with a pin (2x56 socket head cap screw) to attach the flaps to this support. I installed a 1/8" brass sleeve in all of these wooden parts. There is also a hinge on the inboard end of the inboard flap and one on the outboard end of the curved center flap. There is not one on the inboard end of the outboard flap but there is one on the outboard end of the outboard flap.

I found that the inboard nose of the outboard flap was not supported and I installed an extra pin (just like the one at the rear of the flap) at this point to connect to the outboard nose of the center flap. If all of this description doesn't get you confused then you are "just not trying".

One more hint, where the nose of the inboard flap and the center flap come together, you will have to bevel these two points to remove the interference as the flaps come down.

Another change that I made was to install a servo in each wing where the bell cranks are shown to operate the flaps. I didn't like the single servo with pushrods.

I built my wing in three pieces for easy assembly at the field but the flaps are stock and have not given any trouble in over 45 flights. They are very effective and I found that over 45 degrees is too much as the plane slows down too much.

Ken
Old 05-16-2003, 10:00 PM
Thumper1

Ken
Thanks for replying. After looking at the plans again, and looking at the photos of Jeff's 13 ft enlarged Ziroli Corsair, I have somewhat of a better understanding of what is going to be required here.

It looks like the flap ribs need to be installed parallel to each other on the ends of each flap to work without binding. The hinged ribs at W5 are going to have to be at different angles to each other, again so they don't bind. There has to be a flap hinge at the ends of each flap in the center section of the wing.

My plane also has a three piece wing, I planned on hinging the outboard flap on each end. This plane was built with the outboard wings made from sheeted foam. I plan on cutting out the flap and gluing a hinge into the wing with epoxy. Should be interesting.
Sure would like to see some more detailed photos of the flaps, though.
Once again, thanks
Bill
Old 05-16-2003, 11:40 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bill, as it turns out, I hinged the inboard end of the outboard flap and found out that there is just something about the geometry that will not work. After trying my best to get it to work, I simply sawed the hinge off and that was that. You may have better luck.

Ken
Old 05-17-2003, 02:36 AM
Thumper1

I think I'd rather do it your way and add a second pin to keep everything in line and solid.
Thanks
Bill
Old 05-19-2003, 01:53 PM
flydoc

I have some photos available showing my Ziroli Corsair flap hinges. The files are too large to post here, but I'd be happy to send them to you if you are interested
Old 05-19-2003, 08:10 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill....call me at 952-432-2541 if you still need help. Jeff (RCWarbirds)
Old 05-19-2003, 08:15 PM
Thumper1

Originally posted by flydoc
I have some photos available showing my Ziroli Corsair flap hinges. The files are too large to post here, but I'd be happy to send them to you if you are interested
I would like to see them. You can use [email protected] if you want to Email them, or contact me and I'll give you an address for snail mail.
Thanks
Bill