Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Pica Spit 1/6 Scale

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Pica Spit 1/6 Scale

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 06:54 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pica Spit 1/6 Scale

How DOES this plane build and fly? I have experience with Pica kits.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:54 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pica 1/6 Spitfire

I have the Pica Spitfire and I love it! It was a lot of work to build; a lot of carving and sanding, but very enjoyable and not difficult. One thing I strongly recommend: modify it for split flaps! I studied a three-view of the Spit and built mine roughly to scale size. All you have to do is remove a section of the wing bottom sheeting at the trailing edge and build the flap from thin ply. Mine are about 1 inch wide, 8 inches long, and are activated by a single servo in the center of the wing pushing a semi-flexible cable in a tube.

My Spit is powered by an OS .91 Surpass turning a 14x6 prop. It has Spring-Air gear with Robart Robostruts. The plane is a real joy to fly! A little right rudder and a touch of up elevator makes for easy, scale take-offs. It tracks beautifully through all the basic manuevers. I don't do any snaps or spins, because thats not the way I like to fly. Mine is balanced a little nose heavy, so stall recovery is no big deal. Its been a while since I intentionally stalled it, but I think it gently drops the left wing. Nose down, a little throttle, and its flying again.

For landing I drop the gear and then about 45 degrees of flap. Then I fly a normal sport-plane pattern. She floats down and sets on the mains. I have landed it a few times without flaps, and it has to come in a lot faster.

See my club's site at www.rcrcky.com

Mine is the one with JEJ on the side. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2003, 06:51 PM
WhiteRook

Default 1/6 SPIT

Thanks Ho2 , what method of hinge did you use on the
split flaps? also how thick is the wing sheeting? and what was your total weight?
I HAVE read in Flight Journal that a real spitfire
has a gear down , flaps down, stall speed of 65 MPH . The split
flaps on the one in the article went down 80 degrees, i dont really know what version it was.

saw the pics , nice plane

Dan
Old 05-18-2003, 08:29 PM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Dan, Here is a pic of the flaps on my Clark 1/4 scale Spit. The hinges are sections of 3/32 tubing glued to the flap leading edge and the wing trailing edge and the a small piece of glass cloth glued over the section to give it some strength. Uses a 1/16 wire for the hinge. Uses a swingie hinge to actuate and I get the full 85 degrees deflection. The sheeting is 3/32 on my wing. The real Spit had piano hinged flaps so this looks very scale and is real easy to do. Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	79554_4708.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	47028  
Old 05-18-2003, 08:32 PM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Here is the left flap with just the hinge sections before building up the ribs and trailing edge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	79556_4708.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	47029  
Old 05-18-2003, 09:17 PM
WhiteRook

Default flap info

thanks for the great info
Old 05-19-2003, 11:43 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Don,

You're really flying (no pun intended) through that project!

Looking good mate!!

Btw, nice wallpaper in the workshop.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:13 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by smchale
Don,

You're really flying (no pun intended) through that project!

Looking good mate!!

Btw, nice wallpaper in the workshop.
LOL, I thought the same thing
Nice job Don
Old 05-22-2003, 10:44 AM
ho2zoo

Default Spit flaps

Hey Dan. Glad you like my plane.

I built it about 10 years ago, so it's hard to remember how I did it! Had to go downstairs and look at the flaps again. I think the wing sheeting is 1/16" balsa. I cut the sheeting away from the ribs and made the flap from 1/16" plywood. I used regular Du-Bro pinned hinges. I cut recesses for the hinges on the bottom surface of the wing and the flap. Then the hinges are glued in the recesses (three per flap) and then covered with a strip of very thin (1/64" I think) plywood. I attached a short control horn to the flap and activate them with a semi-flexible cable.

My Spitfire weighs about 8 1/2 pounds I think. The .91 four-stroke pulls it around with gusto! The engine is mounted inverted so I put in a home-made glow driver. There is a cam on the throttle servo wheel that pushes a roller switch to turn on the glow plug power when the throttle stick goes below 1/3. One dead-stick landing in 10 years!

It's not exact scale, but I always get compliments on it's looks and especially the way it flies!
Old 05-25-2003, 04:07 PM
WhiteRook

Default landing gear pica1/6spit

hey ho 2 zoo . is the landing gear a little wider apart like
the topflight , or do they leave it narrow?

thanks

Dan
Old 05-26-2003, 06:54 AM
ho2zoo

Default Spit landing gear

The landing gear is a little farther apart than "scale". But I still manage to scrape a wingtip now and then! The gear also retracts straight out (towards the wing tip) rather than out and a little back like the real plane. You can't make them retract to the exact scale location because you'd have to cut through the main spar!

I think the most obvious non-scale attribute is the thickness of the wing. It's about twice as thick as a pure scale wing would be. But this is one of the things that makes it fly so well!

Once there was a guy watching me fly at our field. He asked if I was going to be around for a while and I said I was. When he came back he had his father with him. His father flew Spitfires during the war! What a great privilege to speak to this man, who risked his life for all of us! I was honored to show him my model and talk to him! He could tell my plane was a Mark IX, what all the markings meant, and that the colors were about right. I went up and flew a demo flight for them (thank God I didn't screw it up!), and as I was taxiing back they got into their car and left. I wish I could have talked with them some more! How many WW II pilots are there still around? And what are the odds of a British pilot living in Kentucky? Wish they would come back!