Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP 109 Gas Engine?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP 109 Gas Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:45 AM
D.O.A.F.S.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMP 109 Gas Engine?

Has anyone out there put a small gas engine in one of these? If so can I get some pics of the installation? THANKS in advance Mark
Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Default RE: KMP 109 Gas Engine?

How about one of these rear carb rear exhaust should fit in a very narrow cowl without a problem

http://rcshowcase.com/html/RCS/rcs140re.html
Old 08-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Redback

I have one in the box at the moment. Still considering what engine to use, however Austars Model who distribute these in Australia suggest that an SPE26 should fit. No pix however.

Terry
Old 08-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Netherwing
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Mark. I'm in the process of putting an Evolution GT 26 on mine. I will warn you though. Getting it and a muffler to fit has been a challenge. First I had to change from a inverted Pitts wrap-around to just an inverted Pitts. The canister on the wrap-around ran into the firewall. It just fits inside the cowl....and I really mean JUST. Second I had to send the crankshaft and spinner backplate off to get some maching done.....about 3/8" cut off the end of the crankshaft and a bushing made so the backplate will fit the shaft. Also, an adapter made to take the 8-32 bolt for the spinner. Hopefully that will take care of all the fit issues.

Later,

Mike
Old 08-07-2008, 07:52 AM
D.O.A.F.S.

Terry I looked at the dimensions on line for the SPE26 and it does look like it would go, but I've heard not so good things about reliability, although I've no personal exsperiance . Do you have one or anyone you know using one? Size wise it looks good. I've also thought about the evo 26GX. Mike have you used these motors before and do you have any pics of the install? Was the exhaust the only real problem other then the spinner? I can fab up an exhaust if nessary. Looking at other small gas engines (zenoah, fuji, etc.) dimensions it looks like you would have to cut alot of the cowling up. It seems most everyone is using glow engines, there's nothing wrong with that obviously but I'd like to avoid the mess if possible. Your help is greatly appreciated. THANKS Mark
Old 08-07-2008, 12:28 PM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

26cc
Old 08-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Netherwing
My Feedback: (7)

Hey Mark. No, I haven't worked with the EVO GT/GX 26. In fact this is my first gassser. So far the exhaust and spinner are the only problems to work around right now. The crankshaft and spinner were just sent to Lenny (Shindin Machine). So I don't have any pictures yet. I haven't even started this engine and don't know of it's reliablility or habits. I got the engine and discovered how it fit in the cowl and how much to take off the crankshaft. Then I pulled it apart. I'll post some pics when it gets installed. Sorry I'm not much help here, but I haven't heard or read any real negative things about the engine. A friend in the club, that has a lot of experience with gassers, said he didn't like that the wire coming from the ignition went straight into the module with no disconnect. In the case of a hard landing : ) ......the wire would pull out of the module. Not good because the module is expensive to replace. That's about it until I get the engine in the plane.

Later,

Mike
Old 08-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Redback

Hi Mark,

I don't have an SPE26 at the moment but I do have an SPE40 in an Edge540. I did have a problem where the mounting lugs broke (replaced under warranty) but otherwise the motor performs well.

Take a look at the CMP FW190 Kitbash thread. As far as I recall Dave (ticketec) installed an SPE26 in this bird. He's only recently maidened it but he may be able to give you some feedback.

Interested in how you go for my own 109. I am currently flying the KMP FW190 with an OS120AX (and a lot of lead!!!)

Terry
Old 08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Redback

Hi Mark,

I don't have an SPE26 at the moment but I do have an SPE40 in an Edge540. I did have a problem where the mounting lugs broke (replaced under warranty) but otherwise the motor performs well.

Take a look at the CMP FW190 Kitbash thread. As far as I recall Dave (ticketec) installed an SPE26 in this bird. He's only recently maidened it but he may be able to give you some feedback.

Interested in how you go for my own 109. I am currently flying the KMP FW190 with an OS120AX (and a lot of lead!!!)

Terry
Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 PM
NoFlaps

I've got the SPE 26cc in a cermark spitfire and it's a great engine. though the Evo with rear mount pitts muffler would be a better fit in the 109.
I have the 109 with a ST2300 in it and was going to put my Roto 25cc in her, but I don't want to hack up more of the cowl.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:09 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Redback

Hi Mark,

Terry

I've got the SPE 40cc in My Fw-190, i haven't heard of too many problems other than the ignition unit was a bit questionable in the original versions of this engine. i have the version 2 one and it's working fine so far, and it's had about 2.5lt through the engine. the SPE have just released the SPE 26cc version 3, which have a few more refinements.

I've got a similar problem with the Cmpro Me-109G i've just got and deciding what powerplant to put into it.

Thanks

Dave
Old 08-07-2008, 09:27 PM
NoFlaps

dave, On a side note, be sure to post your build of that CMP 109G...i've been dying to get that plane and didn't think it would ever be released. [8D]
Old 08-08-2008, 10:22 AM
D.O.A.F.S.

THANKS everyone for all the input so far. After thinking about my earlier post, I didn't mean anything in perticular about the SPE engine just what I heard. All my planes except one have OS engines in them which I've had great luck with, and the one gas plane I do have, has a DA50 in it which there again has been great. I like the benifits of the gas engines, but know nothing about the smaller ones. I would rather ask questions and benifit from other peoples exsperiance. The evo26 at this point looks very good with the front mounted carb, hopfully less cowl to cut up. Mike I would love to see some pics after you get the engine back of your installation. The dimensions on the RCS140 look good as well. What to do!THANKS again Mark