Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1/5 P-47 need help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/5 P-47 need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 01:38 PM
davham
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/5 P-47 need help

I just got a top-flite 1/5 p-47. This will be the largest kit I have attempted to date. Man, there sure is allot of wood in that box. What I need to know is WHO to get a fiberglass cowl from.
Also should I go with spring air or robart? I see that robart has a new improved version for this plane.
I have read of a few mixed feelings on both robart and spring air but not much on a f/g cowl. Would like to here from anyone with experience on this plane.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-18-2003, 07:13 PM
Asanders

Stans Fiber specialties he makes good glass cowls... dont know his number off hand but try searching for Stansfiberglass

I love the P-47 am seriously thinking of buying the top flight or the NorthWest Hobby tech kit... I built the TF P-51 1/5 took me forever!

good luck
Old 05-18-2003, 08:51 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Dave
Congrats, you selected a nice kit, both To build and to fly- Presently I'm completing the retracts installation on mine,using Spring air 403 pneumatic retracts with Robarts scale#673(L&R) struts and Du-bro 5"tires. Regardless of who's retracts you decide on; do trial fit your retract units in order that you achieve best clearance,to accommodate the gear doors. If you decide on the Spring air 403's,you will need them before proceeding with the wing construction as you will modify the retract installation shown on the plans,using templates provided with the spring air retracts(very easy!)----- Also I agree,go with a fiberglass cowling.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:09 PM
padre
My Feedback: (8)

Default TF 1/5 Mustang

Hi asanders, I just purchased the TF 1/5 Mustang kit. I see that you said it took you "forever" to build it. Unfortunately, I don't have that long, do you recommend I chose another kit or can you offer some advice to speed things up a bit?

Thanks,

Sonny
(Padre)
Old 05-20-2003, 08:00 PM
RollingCircle
My Feedback: (35)

Hey Dave, I finished building this plane last year. I put robart retracts in it and have had no problems at all with them. When I first got the kit I ran out an bought the robart ones (version 1). Well By the time I got to building the plane it was a year later and the retracts didn't fit right. I contacted Robart and they sent me a new pair (version 2) which fit perfectly. Good people.
Actually I'm selling the plane and have it posted here. I bought a built Bud Nosen with a 140 inline twin just after I finished this one and my basement isn't big enough for both. But you'll love the way this plane flies, trust me.
Jim