Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft P40E Weight Issues

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Yellow Aircraft P40E Weight Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 04:14 PM
ardrhi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Aircraft P40E Weight Issues

Hello everyone,

I plan on using a ZDZ 80 in this bird [8D], but am going to add quite a bit of scale detail. (Keleo exhaust, torque tube flaps...etc.) That said, I know that my weight is going to turn out on the high side. The kit advertises 26-27 lbs. (I am at work...so I'm going off a very fuzzy memory.) What are your opinions about max weight and wing loading? I would like this girl to scream through the air, but don't want a feather or a rock for a bird. I would like to know what weights YOUR Yellow P-40 scaled in at. (And your estimation of it's performance....) More importantly, I would like to know what wing loading (So I can do my own calculations.) these 1/5 scale warbirds perform well at. What thresholds should I be leary of? I need some points from which to measure my progression. (Before I build.)

Regards,

Chris
Old 08-07-2008, 10:51 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Aircraft P40E Weight Issues

Hi Chris,

Mine is about 30#, using a 3W-80XI, Keleo exhaust, Axel scale pilot, cockpit kit, etc etc. Weight is not a problem, she flies well, and lands easily. The motor's weight and long nose did give me a CG problem, I have the Rx batt about half way back between the TE of the wing and the LE of the stab .. and she's still a tad nose-heavy.

I used the "road hog" motor because I wanted to spin a 24" 3-blade prop, and is does that well ... but the plane is reported to fly just fine on a 50 or 60cc motor. I have no doubt that is correct.

You will be a little better off since the ZDZ is lighter than the 3W.

Net net: don't fret the weight on this bird .. lighter is of course better, but this one can carry 30# easily.

Dave McQ
Old 08-08-2008, 12:54 PM
ardrhi

Dave,

That is quite good to hear. I _am_ worried a bit, due to the fact that I have never done anything quite this "scale" before. [] I really have no knowlegeable basis from which to judge where my weight will end up. This is not my first, or even 5th warbird, but it _is_ my first serious attempt at creating something so detailed.'

Chris
Old 08-09-2008, 09:53 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine flew great with a Fuji 64. weight was 26.5 lbs. Then the factory supplied elevator broke at the soder joint and its a total loss. Check you part. Its a great plane to fly and hard to loose because of a factory defect. Jeff
Old 08-13-2008, 02:20 PM
ardrhi

Jeff,

That information is good to know. I have already got plans to re-engineer the flight surface and linkage designs. I am so sorry that you lost her to something so simple, yet unexpected.....if it makes you feel any better.....The contractor who built my house, injured the roots to 6 of 120 ft tall, 40 year old pines. Now that they are weakened, they are infested with Southern Pine beetles. I have to cut all 6 of them down.....*sigh*

Regards,

Chris