Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flight kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 09:03 PM
hotrodmustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flight kits

Ok to all you eperianced builders out there. I must say that I'm new to this hobby and Am building a T/F Mustang. I here by the talk going around about kit quality of alot of high quality kits but very little feedback on top flight kits. I must say that I'm a little disapointed with the die-cutting of the heavier 1/4" sheet parts. They when punched out leave a very poor quality peice requiring alot of sanding to smooth them out. I'm afraid of removing to much material resulting in the unproper shape. I've resorted to outline cutting out the peices but because of the die stapming grain is still chewed up and split etc. I guess my question is are all die cut kits of this nature on the heavier parts? I must say that the 3/32 parts came apart quite nicely. A little feedback about top flight kits would be great thanks.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:29 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Top Flight kits

I must say that I'm a little disappointed with the die-cutting of the heavier 1/4" sheet parts. They when punched out leave a very poor quality piece requiring alot of sanding to smooth them out.
That's about right. I'm building the TF Corsair and my ply stamped parts were the same. You think that TF would go to laser cutting. Pete
Old 05-19-2003, 12:21 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top Flight kits

On most interior parts a fine pretty edge is not needed. Use a jig saw to cut the ply parts if you need to, mine were fine though. Just don't sand the wing ribs!

Luke
Old 05-19-2003, 09:55 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Top Flight kits

Luke,
All the die cut balsa was fine. The ply parts were crushed out not cut out. Sanding not possible on a couple of parts and I hand cut new ones. No big deal just disappointing. Pete
Old 05-19-2003, 01:39 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Default Top Flight kits

Yea, imagine the die machines are getting old for these kits, I built a few TF Mustangs but they were in a much earlier run. Could be the problem?

Luke
Old 05-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Default DieCrunch

I can relate. Three years ago, when I got my first real kit (a Sig Citabria) I complained to the more experienced builders in my club that the dies were dull and the parts were crunched.

They called me a big whiner.

Still p**ses me off. I like to see "Laser Cut" on the ad, now!

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 07-30-2003, 11:39 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Flite Kits

All I'm going to say to you is research your kits before your purchase. With the amount of kits that TF produces Quality control it difficult to say the least. I was told that the labor used to make there kits isn't the best, but they do try hard and service from them has been decent. At least is has been for me. I'm not afraid to replace or request replacement parts from them if I have a problem. They replaced a damaged cowl for me no questions asked.
It would be nice if TF could start producing kits that have been laser cut, but you would also notice a marked increase in price. If you want a quality cut kit go to www.skysharkrc.com . All there kits are laser cut and the wood is had picked. But they do have a limited number of models to choose from and they are a bit more expensive. Compare and you'll see.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:58 PM
juvatwad
My Feedback: (8)

Default Top Flight kits

I've built a few TF kits and a few Pica, Balsa USA, Sig, and Carl Goldberg kits. None of them are perfect, but the TF kits are definitely the most straight forward and quick building kits for the .60 to .90 range (Goldberg was close, but they didn't do warbirds).
Old 07-31-2003, 08:18 PM
Straffer

Default Top Flight kits

I have built several of the TF kits, they usually take me about 250 hours to finish and all of them fly fine. Most people suggest cutting the kit, when ever possible make the part lighter, 10 lb P51's are a problem to land softly. I elimated some parts, cut others, with no flaps or retracts got it down to 8 lbs. 4 ozs. Now if you prefer flaps and retracts it will be 10 lbs. Power should be about Super Tiger 75 or equal. My P47 has all the bells and is over 10 lbs., but it will land slower than the P51. Good Luck.
Straffer
Old 08-02-2003, 02:09 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Flight kits

Hello Hot rod mustang-I'm curious is this the "Gold Edition" Top Flite P-51 or is it the earlier "Red box " kit which kicked off the line of "very nice" war bird kits which Top Flite has produced the last three plus decades. I must say here that The Gold Edition 1/7 & 1/5 scale kits to me.have been excellent in the way of "die cutting.