Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Best canopy polish

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Best canopy polish

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 11:30 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Best canopy polish

Guys I got some CA on the inside of my canopy Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I sanded it out with 1000 wet and dry and then began polishing the canopy. I sanded the entire canopy so it would be an even look. What I need is what is the Best Canopy Polish? .. One that won' leave a film but will leave the canopy clear looking again, any one have any experience with a product that works really well I would appreciate that Info.. Regards BobH.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:18 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used Turtlewax to polish up some canopies. It has worked well for removing a scratch or two. It is non abrasive and may do the trick. Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:03 AM
BobH

Default best polisn

chook thanks...... BobH
Old 05-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Sarah

You can use toothpaste to polish the canopy.

For an even better finish, try and get hold of the plastic polish which the classic car people use on the clear soft plastic windows in softop hoods from a convertibl car.

Sarah
Old 05-22-2003, 08:44 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For the deep scratches and abrasions, Maguires Supple Wax works good. But is expensive.

This may sound strange, but I also use Endust furniture polish. It's oil fills the scratches and gives both my covering and canopy a nice glossy look. It also doesn't seem to collect dust or dirt as much as I thought. Really easy to apply, just spray and wipe.

Also cheap, get it a Dollar Store or WallyMart for $1.99 for a large can.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:09 PM
MikeChilson

I use toothpaste and my dremel at the lowest speed setting and I use a polishing attachment.

I put the toothpaste right on top of the CA and start working ti down with the dremel. Has always worked great for me.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:55 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the ultimate finish, sand the outer side of the canopy with a fine 400 or more wet/dry sandpaper, do it wet, when dry and done it will look dull and not being able to see through it, good, now spray some clear and fuelproof enamel (like Lusterkote), in light coats, as not to get any runs, now look!! Awsome!.

I wouldn't want you to come out looking for me if things don't go right, so please, do try on a piece of scrap first, thank you!
Old 05-23-2003, 01:55 AM
BobH

Default Best Polish

Many thanks you all for the suggestions. I have recently heard about clearing my canopy after polishing it with compound and then using a super fine polish.. I haven't tried that yet but I shall. In the mean time... I ordered and received a new canopy ($32) lol. I now will have a back up at the very least!..Regards BobH.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:16 PM
Maiden Voyage

I see you have already corrected the problem and have some good suggestions for the future. Here's one more, Kit Scratch Out. I use it on my headlight covers and have used it on all sorts of plastic, everthing from plexiglass to clear vinyl. It gets rid of any scratches and the yellowing caused from sun and old age.
Should be able to find it with the waxes in any automotive store.
Never tried it on a canopy though so do a test first.