Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 05:21 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rascal - Colonel, smile, you are not here choking on balsa, plywood, and filler dust like I am. Can't wait until the eclipse, maybe it will reduce the 90+ deg days and hold off rain so a guy can get something done. Almost ready to start glassing the bottom. True that. Chic
Old 09-02-2017, 03:59 PM
Ranger1-00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chic, I can't take it... its been over a week. Whats the latest news on the Avenger???
Old 09-02-2017, 04:44 PM
maser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redtail
Rascal - Colonel, smile, you are not here choking on balsa, plywood, and filler dust like I am. Can't wait until the eclipse, maybe it will reduce the 90+ deg days and hold off rain so a guy can get something done. Almost ready to start glassing the bottom. True that. Chic
I'm impressed the work so far. Keep those cards and letters coming.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:39 AM
redtail

Thanks "Maser", certainly encouraging words from the best. The Colonel is pushing his troops along, but he is Army and I am Air Force. He plays in the dirt, I push buttons. Having a hint of trouble hooking up the controls so that I can permanently install the elevators/rudder. Working on it now. The fuse is sanded except where the huge opening is in the one side. Once the controls are connected and flying surfaces permanently hinged, then I can install the side blister windows and sheet the opening used to install the blisters and make the control connections. I will remove the bomb bay doors and then I will begin glassing the bottom of the fuse. "At Ease" Colonel (smile). You know you are a great motivator. Congrats on your new job. Chic
Old 09-08-2017, 05:46 PM
bigstew60
My Feedback: (35)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Redtail,
I have a few questions for you. Did you build your own torpedo. I'm trying to figure out a method to build one for myself since I cant seem to get in touch with Charlie's son. also How can I get my hands on the templates got the gun turret? I my try to build one as well. I officially received an invite to topgun 2018 and would like to have my avenger complete for it. Ive decided the air cylinders I have for the wing fold aren't going to work so I am looking for an electric option to fold/spread the wings. I also wan to find a new canopy if I could by I may try to pull a new one with the current one.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:52 PM
kylelord
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Carl,

Not sure if you tried Brett at Firebar@aol but he said that email is no longer active.

Try [email protected]

I met with him a month ago to pick up Avenger parts as he came to my state for something, very nice guy!

Good luck with the build hope to see some progress photos.

Kyle
Old 09-08-2017, 06:08 PM
bigstew60

Thanks! ill give it a try.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:33 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Carl,

Check out this company for the electric actuators for your wings. They might have what you need.

https://www.actuonix.com
Old 09-09-2017, 04:23 AM
redtail

Bigstew60 - Did you get in-touch with Brett? I'm sure you visited the TBM Avenger there in the Aviation Museum there? I just went there for the 4th time to view/photograph that bird. Next time you are up here in Alexandria, Va. drop by to see my build. I won't get to Top Gun but I am shooting for the 2018 local and the 2018 AMA Scale Nats. Good luck with the Top Gun Invite. Certainly backing you, may even fly down to see that puppy fly. Chic
Old 09-09-2017, 05:29 PM
bigstew60

Yes i talked to him and he is getting me a torpedo and new canopy. The avenger at the musem here was being repaired from a collapsed gear so i havent gotten to look at it yet. Id love to see your build if i get up that way. Yours will come out far better than mine. Getting this plane already built had goods and others. Right now im going through making sure everything is working mechanically. Then i will focus on stripping and refunishing it. The air cylinders definitely arent going to work so i will look for electric actuators strong enough to fold the wings. If not there are already provisions built in the just bolt the wing inthe spread position and just fold it manually for storage. I also still need to figure out what im going to do about the turret. Hopefully ill have it complete by january so i can focus on flying it. If my wallet and work schedule permit i may try for the nats as well. We will see.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:25 AM
redtail

Hey Carl - Glad to see that Brett answered my email telling him you were trying to contact him. Brett told me he is addressing your needs, he is a great guy to work with. If you do go to the museum, ask for or call to speak with Mitchell Welch, he is the Event Coordinator at the museum. I called him before I came down, my wife and I rent a 30' RV and head for Virginia Beach every two years. Love the sound of the F-18's transitioning in and out of the Navy base. Mr. Welch took me over to the storage repair facilities and gave me a personal tour of the broken TBM and gave me time to get a few needed photos. Great guy, great effort on his part to satisfy a scale modeler. Their Avenger is back on its feet but still in the repair facility. What do you mean about the "turret", what are you planning to do? I was thinking about making it move, but you don't get any flight points for it so I plan to have it mounted with the 50 cal mounted a bit off center to the left with an action figure in the seat. Since I am doing an RAF Fleet Air Arm version (TBF-1), I am going to put Winston Churchill in the turret. Should be fun to see him sitting there with a military helmet on with his fingers showing the "V" (victory sign). Glad you are the recipient of an already built model. Not so sure about my build coming out better then your ability to perform a redo on the airframe you have. If you received an invitation from Top Gun, I know you must be one heck of a builder. I am just tooooooo slow. Notice the beginning of this thread to see how long I have been building this puppy. The guys on this thread are some wonderful folks and are certainly full of corporate knowledge on this build. Of course, if I can offer any help, I'm available. Would love to see two Avengers at the Nats. Well Alright, Alright, Alright. Chic

Last edited by redtail; 09-10-2017 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:01 AM
lkahn4

Chic,
Don't forget Winnie's cigar
Old 09-10-2017, 10:13 AM
redtail

You Betch'a I Won't Forget It - SMILE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1472.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	2231188  
Old 09-10-2017, 10:18 AM
redtail

Forgot to show Winnie's ride:

Name:	100_1034.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	2231189  
Old 09-10-2017, 02:48 PM
bigstew60

One of our club members works at the museum so Ill have to get back over there eventually. Having a plane already built saved me some time but there is a lot that I would have done differently. I'm hoping to have it done by January so I cant start practicing with it. as far as the turret I'm debating on if I should build it myself or spend the money and buy the one from iflytallies. I don't think I'm going to make mine movable either. ill post some photos of my progress as well so hopefully we can learn from each other along the way. And glad to here you are a superhornet fan. I am a superhornet WSO on my day job.

Name:	IMG_1376 (1).JPG
Views:	47
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	2231252  
Old 09-10-2017, 02:54 PM
bigstew60

I'm still debating on my scheme but I narrowed it down to one of these.

Name:	tbm3e.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	2231253   Click image for larger version

Name:	vs-23 avenger.png
Views:	271
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2231254  
Old 09-10-2017, 02:56 PM
bigstew60

or this one
Old 09-10-2017, 03:00 PM
bigstew60

picture didn't load

Name:	tbm3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	2231255  
Old 09-10-2017, 05:04 PM
redtail

Hey Navy. I am retired Air Force (E-6, O-4E: Minuteman Missile Electronic Tech, Communication Squadron Commander), retired Lawyer (got tired of putting kids in jail), and a retired Elementary School Math/Science teacher (had to give something back). I wanted to fly but when I joined the AF, I was told I needed a college degree. Recruiter lied of course. Took me 13 years to finish that first degree, going to night school, so when I finished, I ran to the AF Personnel Office and they told me I was now tooooo old. Story of my life. So I went downtown and learned how to fly - Cessna, Mooney, Rockwell. Even had about 5 hours in a Citation. My "Congrats" to you my friend, keep burning holes in the sky for those of us who still dream. My jets are my RC Turbines now. Will look you up next time I am down there.

Trust me, the turret is very easily made from plastic sheets and balsa and a lot less expensive. You can cut and build your own turret from plastic/balsa while sitting around on standby waiting to fly in that hotrod of yours for a lot less money. You can detail it as much as "YOU" want. Here are a few posts to check out that Noah, Pere, Larry and I have done: 458, 520, 545-6, 1412, 1526, 1727, 2154. Post 2042 (B/W photo of my bird). Noah, if you are viewing, I can not find your template for the turret. Do you remember the post for the template? Thanks Guys and welcome Carl. Chic

Last edited by redtail; 09-10-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:48 PM
bigstew60

I look at those posts, thanks. I enlisted out of school as well. spent 12 years as a helo aircrewman and got my degree on my own time. Got the you're too old for pilot but not for NFO too butI just wanted to keep flying. I'm at 21 years now and just screened for 0-4.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:21 PM
redtail

WOW - Small World - Damn near connected at the hip. What turned you on to the Avenger?. The guys on this build are solid. They think like GI's and they have your back covered. I did almost 24 years. Will be installing the side blisters tomorrow if I get the rudder pull/pull right. Chic
Old 09-10-2017, 07:27 PM
bigstew60

I love navy planes and was considering buying either kelloggs avenger or skyraider when he passed. I firend of mine had this one that he planed on redoing for topgun but needed to make room so he made me an offer i couldnt refuse. I think im going to start stripping the paint tomorrow so i can get to preping the suface for panellines and rivites
Old 09-11-2017, 04:35 AM
lkahn4

Chic,
I am truly impressed with your resume. I now feel guilty about not finding the time to visit you and Shirley before the move to AZ. Besides RC I'm sure we would have a lot to talk about.
Stew, Brett is selling plans for Charlie's Skyraider, a friend of mine here wants to do a buddy build but I'm holding off for a C119 that a certain friend has waiting for me to pull a couple of hundred out of my wife's hands.
Chic, finally off to the museum today and will get you the pix, plus rumor has it there will be a TBF at Miramar in 2 weeks so make room on your hard drive for pix.
I made our gun mount per dimensions from one of the posts or an email and it turned out Okay, not great but you get the gist when you see it in the bubble.
Virginia Beach, brings back memories tied up to the pier at NOB, pier 5
Later guys
Larry

Name:	skyraider price list.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2231331  
Old 09-11-2017, 10:11 AM
lkahn4

Okay guys,
Made the trip to the Air Power Museum only to find it is closed Mondays and Tuesdays
Since I'm working the next 7 days pix will have to wait until a week from Wednesday.....

Larry
Old 09-12-2017, 04:45 AM
redtail

Larry, you, Noah, Peter, and I will one day gather together in one spot and fly, eat, and talk stuff together. It will happen for sure. Even the Navy is invited. Smile. Chic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.