Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 PM
lkahn4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Charlie Kellogg's TBM Avenger Build

But of course they will be bubble types, nothing like taking a scratch build to the nth degree, can't wait to see and hear how you do the windows

Larry
Old 12-10-2010, 05:18 AM
butlern
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chic, I mounted a small air tank for the bay doors right next to the large tank that supplies the landing gear.

See post 272, bottom right. For the photo click here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8796367

The one thing I would have done differently is to mount the tank on the side opposite the crew door (so it's much less visible when the crew door is open). Since I tack-glued my crew door shut (the hinges work great, but I grew tired of messing with the latch/closure mechanism), it's a non-factor for me. But if you're going to compete, you'll want it tucked away as much as possible.

Looking good guys!

Best,

Noah
Old 12-10-2010, 04:06 PM
lkahn4

Hi guys,
Bad weather has beset us here in the Northeast so I figured I would start working on the canopy, the only problem is I need to know the best way to cut it into the 3 sections. I was thinking of using canopy scissors but figured they would try to wander a bit. HELP... anybody have some suggestions?

Thanks
Larry
Old 12-11-2010, 04:39 AM
butlern

Larry,

I used fine (1/8 inch wide) masking tape to demarcate the lines I wished to follow.... then I just had at it with canopy scissors. A little sandpaper work along the edges smoothed any imperfections generated while cutting.

Noah
Old 12-11-2010, 06:02 AM
redtail

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Noah is "THE" Man. So glad you are around and patient enough to help the rest of us with our build. Chic
Old 12-11-2010, 06:26 AM
butlern

where else am i going to go, Chic!?!?! I'm addicted to the hobby and some of the threads that appear on RCU!

Always happy to help. Don't ever hesistate to email, call or post questions here. Granted, I'm no expert... but I do have some experience with this kit, you know.

Noah
Old 12-11-2010, 07:40 AM
lkahn4

Chic,
I sencond that... okay, off to the hobby shop for some masking tape and 1/32" rod for the hatch handles

Thanks again Noah

Larry
Old 12-12-2010, 06:54 AM
Ranger1-00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chic,

Found your thread! Now I have to go and read it from start to finish. Truly excited to watch this one come together. Can't wait for the Snap roll during the maiden! LOL. Ill be by the shop in about 45 minutes! Barrett
Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 AM
redtail

Come on by Barrett, I guess the President can let you out of his sight for a couple of hours. Besides, I need your hands deep into the heart of this build. Thanks for your help and encouragement. Chic
Old 12-12-2010, 05:40 PM
redtail

This to scale stuff is really complicated, intricate, and time consuming. Looking through my research books, I see where the center and wing flaps need to be structurally detailed as the full scale flaps since they will be visible when deployed. This is the start on the center flaps. One down, three more to go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79834.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	1533493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26896.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	1533494  
Old 12-13-2010, 05:18 PM
maser

Redtail,

Got the tubes. Thanks again.

Boyd.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:26 PM
redtail

Just wrapped up work for the evening, need to work on the upper flap area before I move to the wings to build in the flaps and the ailerons. The center flaps look kind of neat when rotated down.

Name:	Bz77510.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	1534000  
Old 12-13-2010, 08:28 PM
redtail

Last photo of the center section flaps.

Name:	Db84671.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1534001  
Old 12-13-2010, 08:31 PM
redtail

Hey Boyd, great news, glad I could help. Shirley will be very happy. Chic
Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Ranger1-00

Chic,

I think the flaps turned out great. Can't wait to get back over there and see them in person. Barrett
Old 12-14-2010, 04:16 AM
redtail

Thanks, I really appreciate the positive comment, it offsets the many negative comments from Shirley about not helping her get Xmas lights and decorations up. [>:] O'well, it too will pass. Come on over. Chic
Old 12-16-2010, 04:47 PM
redtail

Noah, why did you run a length of wire across the wing slot, is it a weak area? Chic
Old 12-17-2010, 05:01 AM
butlern

Chic,

Even though each piece of balsa that forms the slots gets secured glued to either rib, when I installed my leading edge slot sheeting it ended up "bowed" out a little. I simply used a length of wire to keep the edge of the balsa absolutely straight between the ribs (where it meets the upper and lower wing sheeting).

If you look carefully at the pictures in post #218, you can just slightly tell that the balsa sheeting was bowed (it was really obvious when standing above or behind the wing). Then look at the picture in post #219. There you can see how, where, and to some extent, why, I installed the wire. Nice and perfectly straight after the wire was glued in place.

So, it's not a function of strength, simply a function of aesthetics.

Noah
Old 12-17-2010, 03:12 PM
redtail

Thanks Noah, I want to tackle the wing slots, the outter wing flaps and ailerons this weekend. Hope the wing flaps turn out as well as the center section flaps did. Larry has me worried about building them. If it took him three times, it may take me four. Smile. Chic
Old 12-18-2010, 10:18 AM
lkahn4

CHic,
Not to worry, just follow Noah and Charlies instructions and you will have no problem. Update on ours, I started laying up the 2nd outboard flap Wed. and when we checked it on Thursday morning it was a perfect match to the bottom section of the wing . I split the canopy into 3 sections last weekend and started masking out the windows for painting. We also now have the 2 hatches 90% done as well as the engine box completely done. After I get the 2nd flap done we will micro balloon the space where the wings join the center section and sand to fit. Noah had a post about this.
I still have the elevators and rudder to cover in coverite before painting them but should have them done before the end of Jan. Progress.. the only problem is everything seems to take longer than it actually is

Okay Chic, your doing much better than me, keep up the good work

Larry
Old 12-23-2010, 09:04 AM
redtail

Hey Charlie, Noah, and Larry, first I want to say Happy Holidays to you and all the Avenger builders, admirers, and interested parties. Second, what are you guys using for pushrods (servo to center and outter flaps, to ailerons, to elevators - 4/40 or 6/32? For my elevator run, I'll probably use an arrow shaft to cover most of the distance, well hidden of course. I hope. Also, after looking down the tops of my outter wing ribs, looks like I will be adding edges to some ribs to increase the height to ensure the sheeting is rather level when glued on. May do the same on the bottom around the landing gear to ensure it is covered. Looks like I'm almost an 1/8" or so short on the ribs around the gear. All others on the bottom are fairly well even. Thanks. Chic
Old 12-23-2010, 12:49 PM
butlern

Chic, I used 4-40 titanium Pro-Links available from Hangar 9. They're pretty slick, and they come in various lengths. They might work for you, too, assuming your servo is close enough to the control horn on each of the surfaces. I used Robart control horns. Here's a link to some of the detail when I was installing that stuff:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9309047

If you need better pictures, or a better description, let me know.

I also saw that you called me today. When I get home from work today I'll give you a ring.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Noah

Edit: Forgot to mention the elevator rods... I used the Sullivan Golden Rod (the really heavy duty rod), just as outlined on the plans and detailed in the instructions. Worked great, and I think it's plenty strong and control is more than adequate (i.e. no slop or flex).
Old 12-23-2010, 05:48 PM
maser

Merry Chrstmas to all.

I'm getting some good ideas from this build.

Boyd.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:20 AM
lkahn4

First to all my Avenger Buddies, a very Merry Christmas and hope that Santa leaves all things RC under your tree.
Chic we are using Sullivan Golden rods as is Noah as the plans show, we haven't decided yet on the flaps and aileron rods yet but I like Noahs idea of the pro links from Hanger 9, we used them on our Dave Patrick extra and they work great.
Now for our update, 2nd outboard flap is almost complete (my thanks to Noah and Charlie once again). Wed. we put in both hand holds and finally mounted the crew door to the fuse, we used robart hinge points and I made the coverings on the door side out of balsa, hinge point and cover epoxied onto the door ala pix below. We are keeping the door closed with 2 mini disc magnets and will add the handle next week.
We also got the front canopy panel painted, didn't realize what a pain to mask the canopy and I managed to put a couple of cut lines into one of the panels, not my finest work.
We have the landing light cut out done and ready to accept the light (crap I forgot to bring the light home to extend the wiring).
We are also getting ready to add both foot holds which we made (couldn't find them in the stuff I got from Charlie) with, and your not going to believe this, a prescription bottle which is only 1/8" short in the width to the plans but it worked great.

Name:	ge96697.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	874.4 KB
ID:	1537881   Click image for larger version

Name:	ql32805.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	943.2 KB
ID:	1537882  
Old 12-24-2010, 06:44 AM
maser

Merry Christmas to all.

Keep up the good work guys.  Great sight for ideas.

Boyd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.